acoustic treatment for room with unusual features (slanted ceilings/big wooden beam)

malsommusic

Hi please could you give some advice on acoustic treatment for my music mixing control room. I have a bit of knowledge in terms of acoustic treatment but none with a room with the two unusual features i have in my new room. i've attached a photo of it in the link below to make things easier.

The room is 9 meters long and 4 meters wide.

1) my first concern is the far wooden beam going across the width of the room, i plan to have my speaker monitors at that far end facing down the length of the room. They will be a phew feet away from the far wall and phew feet away in the other direction away from the wooden beam. The under edge of the beam is about 7.5 ft high so i can comfortably walk under it and the speakers will be about 3.5 feet high so its not directly inline with the speakers but they are kinda close to each other. my question is will the beam be a problem and is there any advice anyone could give to acoustically treat the beam if needed?

2) my second concern is the slanting ceilings going down both length walls. i've seen many posts over the internet for slanting ceilings but thats for e.g a slanting ceiling say behind or in front of the speaker position in my case the slanting ceilings run down the sides of my monitors. My question is how should i go about treating these areas and would anyone know if having slanting ceilings on both length walls considering my speaker position would be an advantage or disadvantage in terms of room acoustics?

i hope you can help, many thanks

martin :)

View attachment 80692

Thanks for moving this to the public forum. I saw your post earlier, but your attachment is invalid so I can't see the "unusual features" in your room. If you fix the attachment link I'll be able to comment. In the mean time, I'll tell you that almost every room can be treated effectively using the basic guidelines explained here:

Acoustic Basics

Small protrusions, alcoves, and angled surfaces etc are rarely an issue, and rarely change the basic suggestions.

--Ethan

thankyou ethan, yes ive sent a notification to the web master to fix the attachment as it was working before, but still no reply so il just repost the attachment in this comment, here it is below music studio image .jpg

Wow Ethan, realtraps.com is amazing, i didn't know you were owner of the company. the articles and video's are helping tremendously! the factory video (how all the panels are made etc) is really interesting too. :)

Wow Ethan, realtraps.com is amazing, i didn't know you were owner of the company. the articles and video's are helping tremendously! the factory video (how all the panels are made etc) is really interesting too. :)

Thanks, glad to help.

As for your room, that shape is better than a normal rectangle because the angles help to avoid flutter echo. But it's close enough to a normal room that all of the usual advice applies. I see lots of corner areas for bass trapping, though don't worry about "minor" corners at partial walls. What matters most are the outer-most corners where walls meet other walls, and the ceiling, and even at the floor.

--Ethan

Hi Ethan, please could you help me again, i understand how to locate side wall, ceiling and rear wall reflection points, but is there a method in locating reflection points on the front wall, (its the far wall you can see in the attachment picture) if reflection points aren't really an issue on front walls how would you go about treating that far wall (in pic), just to note i've already done some treatment, i'm bass trapping both corners, and adding panels on wall - ceiling corners and wall - floor corners, how should i go about treating the rest. (Basically centre of the wall part)is there panels i should accurately place there, aka at reflection points if any...cheers martin :)

is there a method in locating reflection points on the front wall

There are no reflection points on the front wall because your speakers face the other way. But adding bass traps in the front wall corners, and even all over the entire wall, will certainly help. This article addresses the front wall in more detail:

Front Wall Absorption

--Ethan

Hi Ethan
I would be very interested to hear your advice on my new studio.
As you can see the ceiling has wooden beams that seem to be reflecting the sound.
Planning to use it as one room for recording and mixing my band.
Cheers
Stan
FullSizeRender.jpg

Welcome to the forums, you'll do better starting a new thread rather than tacking on to an old thread.
Wood ceiling with coffered areas, for sure you're getting reflections. I thnk hanging ceiling cloud traps would be the initial solution, although you could fill those spaces with OC703 or Roxul.

Acoustic Treatment for small room with slanted ceiling

I am having the same problem. I have to use a small (rented) room with a slanted roof. It is 3.3 by 2.7 meters. The ceiling is 2.4 meters at the lower end and 3.2metres on the higher end. The window is on the side with lower ceiling and the door is to the side adjacent to the window. From replies on this thread and elsewhere, I see that I should have my desk on the side with lower ceiling. Is that right? What kind of treatment (and placement of the same) can make this room work for my composing and sound design work?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yes, center the desk on that wall, and corner traps in all corners, wall traps in first reflketion point locaitons and a ceiling cloud.

Back