Acoustic Treatment for a room with strong Mid - High Mid

mactreouser

Hi,
I'm looking for an advice of acoustic treatment for a room with strong Mid -- High Mid!
Treatment Done with:
☑ Bass Trap at Front Corners
☑ Ceiling on top of Listener & desk
☑ Left Right reflection points
☑ rear wall
☑ monitors placement
☑ listening point

Please provide a dimensioned floor plan of the room, and tell us more about your treatment - what kind of traps, etc.

Usually a strong mid high needs broadband absorbers, which simply are a much thicker denser high absorber. Give some detail about the treatment you have done already.

Alan.

Hi,
I'm looking for an advice of acoustic treatment for a room with strong Mid -- High Mid!
Treatment Done with:
☑ Bass Trap at Front Corners
☑ Ceiling on top of Listener & desk
☑ Left Right reflection points
☑ rear wall
☑ monitors placement
☑ listening point

Wait, have you already added treatments at these points or are you looking to add them?

If you have already done so and still have an issue, then you need to do some testing.

Best first off to describe in detail your room size and treatment used as it is now.

Please provide a dimensioned floor plan of the room, and tell us more about your treatment - what kind of traps, etc.
12ft x 10ft x 9ft (H) with 2" thick Rockwools surrounded walls, corners (end to end), ceiling of listening point.

Usually a strong mid high needs broadband absorbers, which simply are a much thicker denser high absorber. Give some detail about the treatment you have done already.

Alan.
Which means, Rockwools weren't thick enough?

Wait, have you already added treatments at these points or are you looking to add them?

If you have already done so and still have an issue, then you need to do some testing.

Best first off to describe in detail your room size and treatment used as it is now.
How should I test?

I'm so much appreciate your advices!

At this risk if igniting controversy...I would think it is time for Room Correction.
I use SonarWorks Reference 3.

Yes, double up on the Rockwool, even treble up. My broad bands in the recording room are 6" thick and they really work.

Alan.

OMG! Today, I just double up the corner's rockwoll (only the lower part), the result was so much different! High Mid now is about sweet and bass & kick obviously clear & punchy enough ? will add the upper part soon to check the results

OMG! Today, I just double up the corner's rockwoll (only the lower part), the result was so much different! High Mid now is about sweet and bass & kick obviously clear & punchy enough �� will add the upper part soon to check the results

It is kinda freaky how a little bit can go a long way when you get it right.

I have only tested with REW once long ago. It is free but tough to understand what it tells you...

But since I learned the basics and have worked with professional studio builders getting their advice, it really comes down to just hearing what is wrong with the room and how you hear it, and then taking the steps to improve it. You are obviously on the right track man. :)

Even in a shit room with horrible reflections and room modes that cause frequency buildup/cancellation, you can still make a good mix if you cross reference with other systems and learn what your monitors/room are doing to what you hear. A bunch of this comes from experience in dealing with less than ideal rooms, and then realizing what room treatment actually does for you.

IMO, I find it great that you actually hear the difference. That is a good sign that your ears are working well for you. Many can't even hear what a limiter does to a mix....

Props to ya!

Haha. Thanks for the compliments and happy with me, man!

Question :
1) Say if I would like to apply Bass Trap Foam (20cm x 20cm x 50cm) for another small empty room, where should I start from? Behind the Monitors? The very top? Or...

2) Would ROCKWOLL better than Bass Trap Foam?

Foam does not do bass trapping - it is not dense enough, so get away from that idea. Rockwool is what to use.

Thanks for the firm answer before I proceeded! I'll grab more Rockwolls soon! Haha.

So, corner for 4" and ceiling & side for 2" will do? What about back wall?

Back