Acoustic treatment problem! SOS!

arson

Hi,

I need some some advice on my freshly acoustically treated room. After having problem with low frequencies i decide to acoustically treat my studio/living room through a DIY project. I got info and advice from forums and websites. I noticed an improvement on my room acoustics but low frequencies are still problematic. I also used ARC 2 with its native mic for the measurement.

So in attachment 1 and 2 you can see my room. Attachment 3 is is the ARC measurement (adam 7) prior to acoustic treatment. Attachment 4 is the ARC measurement (new room) after the diy treatment. As you can see there is an improvement on the frequencies but i still have a bass resonance at around 120hz as well as a dive lower.

So could you please have a look on the measurements and my room specifications and explain me if I am doing smth wrong. I cannot see how the bass is disappearing in my small room. If you have any suggestions or advice on how to further improve my room acoustic would be more than helpful! Please also let me know if you need additional information on my room specs.

Thanks!

View attachment 93131View attachment 93130View attachment 93129View attachment 93128View attachment 93127

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 7.48.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 7.48.36 PM.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 7.43.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-24 at 7.43.10 PM.png
    281 KB · Views: 142
  • GetAttachment (1).jpeg
    GetAttachment (1).jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 139
  • GetAttachment.jpeg
    GetAttachment.jpeg
    4.4 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the response. As i said i did the acoustic treatment but still have low frequency issues!

Attachments

• 20150524_194050.jpg
    20150524_194050.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
maybe you are expecting too much?

there's a window on your right side...that is going to cause massive problems, you also have to make bass traps that are far better than that, something that goes down to sub frequencies, which is impossible in that room because of the size, accept that the room will never be perfect even with the best treatment.

What's behind you? Your studio monitors have front facing bass ports.

Also, where are you measuring the room?

I know that will never be perfect but may further improvement be possible..?

Behind me is the sofa and the wall, around 3 meters behind the sweet spot.
I am measuring left, right and center of the sweet spot.

Chers!

I would say the corners behind you are more important than the corners behind the monitors. And the reflecting wall behind you. I bet the sofa is helping a lot, but get the corners.

What are the dimensions of the room?

From the picture it looks like your corner traps are only 2" thick. 4" will have a much better result. 6" even more.

I will agree that the back wall also needs to be trapped but since the listening position is so close to the front wall, front firing ports or not this is the most important corners to trap IME.

As asked, what material did you use for the absorbers?

You definitely want a first reflection point absorber hanging over the window.

And as Chili asked, what are the room dimensions?

All the advice about thicker bass traps etc. is excellent but one of the first things I'd do is just put thick, heavy, floor-to-ceiling curtains on that window. That expanse of smooth, shiny glass is never going to help you.

All the advice about thicker bass traps etc. is excellent but one of the first things I'd do is just put thick, heavy, floor-to-ceiling curtains on that window. That expanse of smooth, shiny glass is never going to help you.

Or build a plug out of 4" thick rigid fiberglass.

Indeed...much better than curtains but I'm used to the need of keeping my other half happy!

That's a very narrow room, so absorbtion on the side walls is important - also think of getting a ceiling cloud trap into place. No room is going to be perfect, you have to learn how mixes made in your room translate into the real world.

Are you hearing the bass as uneven? If it's an improvement on the untreated room then I'd say job well done! The measurements look quite lumpy, but the numbers aren't the whole story.

Also, +1 for thicker bass traps/bass traps in the rear (lol)

I don't understand why I have such a loss of bass in my room. I would expect to have more than it should bass but is the opposite happening.

I noticed the improvement after the treatment, its not huge though. As you can see in the attachment measurements I still have a significant loss on sub bass, bass resonance asa well as uneven stereo image. Its dissapointing

Er, loss on sub bass?

As far as I know, your A7 speakers roll off quite steeply at around 100 Hz anyway so unless you have a sub, those frequencies aren't there in the first place.

I'll do a +1 on all the suggestions to improve what you have--but small, rectangular rooms with parallel walls and low ceilings are never great. There's going to come a time when you have to simply learn the idiosyncrasies of your room and mix around them.

If reflections are bouncing off your back wall and coming back completely out of phase, they can cancel out what you're hearing direct from your monitors. Or if they're coming back IN phase, they'll amplify that frequency. If you walk around your room you can probably hear the difference when that low end is in and out of phase. I have yet to see a small room where you CAN'T hear the difference in different areas of the room. That's assuming your monitors have a flat enough response at that low end, you can't hear what's not there...

As far as I know, your A7 speakers roll off quite steeply at around 100 Hz anyway so unless you have a sub, those frequencies aren't there in the first place.

It's more like a step down at just under 100, the bass response does extend down to about 50hz, then drops like a stone - but the bass should definitely be there there most of the way down (it is in my room anyway).

They have bass/treble calibration on the rear of the speakers too, I've never used it before but I would guess they put it there for a reason. (correct me if this is really bad practise to get into, it sounds like it could be a can of worms but might be worth a shot)

Back