Acoustic Treatment Options For Slanted Ceiling Behind Mixing Desk

KieronH

HI,

I have just persuaded the other half to let me have a room for a home project studio.

There is a slanted ceiling behind the control desk and i find the room is giving me a lot of bass frequencies.

I'm quite new to how the room affects sounds so bare with me please!

I've attached two photos of the room to give you an idea of the layout.

I have two questions -

1. Is my desk in the best position? (I have it here as there os poor light at the other end)

2. What treatment should i be looking at for the room, if i keep the desk where it is? My brain seems to tell me that I should put some dampeners on the slanted ceiling to stop the audio bouncing back off it and hitting my ears but that may just be me making things up!

Thanks for your help guys, keen to get this new room sounding as good as possible ready for doing some demos.

Cheers!

Kieron

Attachments

• IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2018.JPG
    IMG_2018.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
Some dimensions or even better a drawing with dimensions and maybe a dotted line for where that angled ceiling hits would really help. (Those sideways pictures give me a headache!)

You need some kind of treatment directly behind the desk, and in that small room you definitely want some treatment at reflection points on the side walls and behind you as well. Bass only can be handled by bass traps, which are pretty big even with the densest material (ie. do not waste money of foam). You'll need those in as many corners as you can fit them in and still have room to work. I'd say the ceiling-wall joins are probably fair candidates too, but I'm kind of blocked by my own better half after putting a couple "clouds" on the ceiling...

Yes, a floor diagrams with dimensions would help people give advice. Typically, corners bounce the bass around badly, and have to be treated with bass traps. The little cubby hole you have the amp in is really bad - lots of corners.
You want your desk to be situated as symmetrically as possible in the room so that reflections are consistent side-to-side.

Back