Acoustic treatment of my room

fraserhutch

Flypaper for freaks
Hi all.

I have built this room. It is 16' by 12'. On one short wall is a 4'x5' window. On the other is a door. I have set the studio up so that the monitors are on the short wall with the window.

I have auralex bass traps in the opposite corners.

I have 2 boxes of auralex foam and want to get recommentations foir putting it up. So far, the advice I have received is to put is up on the windowed wall and the two adjacent long walls such that it is about ear height. Does this sound right?

I will be creating a a diffuser for the back wall such that it hangs from the dooe which is pretty much dead center.

I think I also want hanging rigid fiberglass treatments for the ceiling, and the long walls.

I have included pics of the room.

Please help - I have done research (John Sayers and Ethan's sites), but I could really use some advice from you folks.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSCN1863.JPG
    DSCN1863.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN1864.JPG
    DSCN1864.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN1865.JPG
    DSCN1865.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN1866.JPG
    DSCN1866.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN1867.JPG
    DSCN1867.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 64
Hate to see you hangin here with no advice but it is hard to know where to start and the bad news is that spending all that money on the Auralex stuff was most likely not the best expenditure you could have made.

As to what to do with the boxes of Auralex. I presume that returning them is out of the question. You mention placing them at 'ear height'. Sound is bouncing all around the room in three dimensions, not just in a horizontal dimension (requiring that you only treat the walls at 'ear height'). Auralex will mostly help with slap echoes so place some on each side of each pair of walls, however they will look best.

Thanks for the reply.

I got the foam on the advcice of a pro audio shop here in Seattle. Returning it is not an option at this point. The guy also advised me that the faom would help cut down the waves bouncing between the walls.

I don't have to use all of it, and I realize I will want to install some rigid foam panels and maybe build a diffuser or two for the back wall. I will also make some gobos. Right now, I am just looking for advice.

Thanks!

Back