Is this Acoustic treatment idea viable

Doc7string

My home recording studio is in a finished basement that measures approx 25' x 15'. It is split into 2 separate areas by a large archway. There are doors to a powder room, closets and 2 big bifold doors to the furnace/ hot water heater space and a big screen tv (seems to me a tough room to treat). In addition my wife would shoot me if I tried to install permanent acoustic treatments. I was wondering if building multiple OC 703 panels that surrounded my listening position as well placing one behind my nearfields would provide a good space for mixing. This way I could erect and dismantle the space as needed and both me and my wife could be happy. Any thoughts or modifications on the idea would be appreciated. Also if this has been asked before in another thread that I failed to find I would be happy to be redirected to that thread. Thanks

Hello!

Yes, it should certainly give you some more workable results than a bare room. You could read up on creating a "RFZ" or Reflection Free Zone. This would be placing absorption all around only the mixing area so no immediate reflections are impacting your judgement. One of our articles talks about Early Reflections and how to control them: gikacoustics.com/news_020209.html

I know wifes can be choosy - perhaps panels with a more uniform look and fabric might not be too out of the question provided they flow well with the room. Guilford of Maine makes some excellent fabrics, some of which are acoustically transparent and fire treated and usually have a higher W.A.F. (wife approval factor). Just an idea!

Good luck!

Hello!

Yes, it should certainly give you some more workable results than a bare room. You could read up on creating a "RFZ" or Reflection Free Zone. This would be placing absorption all around only the mixing area so no immediate reflections are impacting your judgement. One of our articles talks about Early Reflections and how to control them: gikacoustics.com/news_020209.html

I know wifes can be choosy - perhaps panels with a more uniform look and fabric might not be too out of the question provided they flow well with the room. Guilford of Maine makes some excellent fabrics, some of which are acoustically transparent and fire treated and usually have a higher W.A.F. (wife approval factor). Just an idea!

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the input, reference and suggestions.

Hello!

Good luck!

For my "WAF"-ified control room, I actually had my wife come fabric shopping with me. We made a deal that if I got to put up foam and fiberglass on the walls, she gets to pick the fabric. And of course (maybe in spite?) she chose butterflies! Although at least it was blue (better than pink!). I wrapped the panels and hung them like pictures. Looks nice...just sort of embarassing to post up pictures when advertising the studio! :o

For my "WAF"-ified control room, I actually had my wife come fabric shopping with me. We made a deal that if I got to put up foam and fiberglass on the walls, she gets to pick the fabric. And of course (maybe in spite?) she chose butterflies! Although at least it was blue (better than pink!). I wrapped the panels and hung them like pictures. Looks nice...just sort of embarassing to post up pictures when advertising the studio! :o
Word.. Married musicians here. WAF'.. That would be her SWR six-ten rig lives between the "dining" and front rooms. Gobos, clouds, music, tracking...
pets..;) "Dining room..?
For about 15 years or so.. no table :D

Back