Acoustic treatment for home studio/practice room

Thanks for your reply, it however confuses me a bit... JHBrand writes that the thicker the layer the less dense the material has got to be, also Gallagher writes that fiberglass has it's uses in the studio (he doesn't ever in his book talk about density of material, which surprised me).
Your opinion is that fiberglass isn't dense enough for superchunk bass traps? Is there anything I can use the fiberglass I have for in my studio?
And if I'd use Rockwool with 55kg/m3 density would that with a 40x40cm size be good enough for low frequency absorption?

Are you talking about a 40cmX40cm square footprint, or a triangle? If a triangle, that's about a 56cm surface, which is a tad small, but better than nothing. yes, fiberglass can be used for trapping - if you've got the space for it. Most homerecording studios don't have the room for 40cm (16") thick traps that should be at least 60cm (24" wide), and if you are talking about triangle corner superchunks, or squares put in a corner, the thickness at the edges closest to the walls is not 40cm, it tapers down to nothing at each wall-touching edge.

I think that's Roxul Safe & Sound (didn't follow the link, but that's all they had when I searched them 2 years ago) which really isnt' dense enough.

So you're saying that fiberglass can be used but needs to be so big to be a broadband absorber that it would hardly work in my small room.

A superchunk absorber uses a lot more rockwool for the same corner, is it worth the money? Or would using a 10cm thick plate in the corner do about the same?

Thanks for all the advice!

So you're saying that fiberglass can be used but needs to be so big to be a broadband absorber that it would hardly work in my small room.

A superchunk absorber uses a lot more rockwool for the same corner, is it worth the money? Or would using a 10cm thick plate in the corner do about the same?

Thanks for all the advice!

Superchunks are better, but use whatever works for you and your situation.

what is a good supplier for rockwool? This is what I found:

ROXUL MINERAL WOOL ROCKBOARD 60 or Rockwool inulation - Acoustimac

shipping is about 140.00 for 4 packages, 24 panels total.

Thanks

I used ATS: Acoustic Panels by ATS Acoustics They give the absorption specs for all the different types they carry.

Back