acoustic treatment

my goal is to kind cover up the loudness of my amp.

225674.jpg

so how about a REAL opinion... this is for a little more than a guitar speaker, i just thought it would be easier to get a simple answer by asking a simple question.

and its not like you can just smack a volume knob on some loud guys forehead and just turn him down. (and here comes a pic of duct tape:rolleyes:)

just lookin for a quick answer. which is better for breakin up soundwaves? fiberglass insulation or something like this (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Auralex-Sonomatt-48?sku=472384)?

my goal is to kind cover up the loudness of my amp.

The answer depends on three things; thickness, density, and something else. Thin foam, like 2" and under, will only absorb high frequencies because it is not very dense. If you choose 2" insulation that is denser it can include some of the mid-range as well. (There is something else that will change it all too but, you said you wanted the quick answer, so you don't get to hear the rest.)

I don't know too much about absorption, but I can tell you that the Auralex you picked out would do next to nothing :)

well then i guess ill go with insulation. thats what everyone here seems to be fond of anyways.

kinda crazy that auralex would charge 100 some odd dollars for some mattress foam lol.

to reduce volume you need isolation you could build a iso box for a speaker so you can play loud and record it ,with a reduction to the overall volume in the room.

putting fibre glass up arroung the room will not make the amp any quieter it only controls reflections

an iso box is exactly what im doing. im also gonna put some insulation in my closet (vocal booth) to help it from sounding so "boxy"

and yeah i know the room sound is important n whatnot, but not for me. im not in a 10 thousand dollar studio, im in a bedroom in my house so its not so important for me.

is the closet (vocal booth) going to be used for the guitar and vocals ?

if not the closet can have different treatment , the human voice does not have as low a range as a guitar amp.

a seperate iso box that can be wheeled into the closet(a good idea to have wheels they are really heavy) this would work better because the speaker would be tring to get through the iso box and then the treatment in the closet
before getting into your room.

look up guitar iso boxes on the forum put as dense a firbre glass as you can
density(mass) = sound reduction along with a good seal , a poorly seald box would undo all your hard work

yeah their two separate entities. i just built a a box out of 1" thick ...wood... im not sure what kind lol. im putting casters on it soon as its big enough to hold a 4x12 cab. i sealed all the corners with sealant and im gonna figure something out for the lid soon. i just wanted to know what would be best to help with the isolation, the foam or insulation. (i know the big box seems kinda odd but its just something i wanted to try and if it doesnt work im gonna make one of those little can lookin thing like the randall iso box)

the closet on the other hand has the auralex foam covering up most of it (dont worry i got it for free lol)

ill probably make changes later on. not really sure what changes though... i dont really know what changes i could make to make it better.

but for now its more of just a test than anything. i still havent figured out what im gonna do about the lid. im thinking about using that rubber stuff refrigerators have on the doors to keep cold air from getting out but idk. thats the best thing i can think of.

of course im open to suggestions :D

oh and btw thanks for the input. i really appreciate it.

thanks for the input frank. i really appreciate it.

luckily for me my step dad does construction and will probably have quite a bit of insulation left over from his job sites :D

im just a lucky feller when it comes to crappy acoustic treatment lol

Use MDF to make the box, you could glue some drywall to the inside or double up on the MDF. Then cover the inside with a few inches of Roxul mineral wool it has a very high density and should really help. Nice seal on the door. What do you do about heat in these things?

well for a little bit ill just be running a 4x12 cab in it so there shouldnt be any heat concerns....

as for using anthing with a preamp/power amp attached.... i honestly havent thought that far ahead lol.
any ideas????

Back