Acoustic Panels

OldGrover

Hi, all

I'm trying to set up a room in my new house
for my fiancee (she's the musical one - I
just am the tech/build/whatever guy (I can't
hold a tune in a paper bag)) to practice,
jam, compose, maybe do a bit of recording. She's primarily a trumpet player, btw - loud, high instrument, but she also play keys, trombone and sings, so it has to be pretty decent sounding in just about all ranges.

The problem is that almost all the walls are brick and when she plays in there the echoes are just about deafening. We tried putting up some blankets on the walls (just as a test) and that helped quite a bit.

So (and here comes the question), I want to put up something to absorb the sound. We don't, I think, necessarily want a dead sounding room, we just want to seriously cut back the echoes. What I am thinking about is making a series of 3' x 6' x 2" frames out of wood, stuffing them with accoustical insulation stuff (I saw some stuff at home depot that claims to be good for absorbing sound) and wrapping them in fabric and hanging those panels on the walls.

I would think that would work - and it would make it relatively easy to play with the panel locations to get the nicest sound. I could even remove or replace them, depending on what is going to be playing in there.

The room is fairly small (10' x 11') but it is the only room that we can use (the others are smaller)

What do you think? I like it because we can choose the colours - pretty, I can make it fairly easily and because we can change things around depending on what we're doing. I'd like a second (or third, or sixth) opinion, though, which is where the illustrious members of this forum come in. Comments?

Hmm. Re-reading the Auralex Accoustics 101 PDF, I think I should make then 2' x 2' by 3-4", and stagger them around the wall.

Better? Worse?

Hmmm. More thoughts. So, I found a semi-local Auralex dealer. And from what I can tell, their stuff rocks. So, screw building panels, buy a Roominator kit... 24 2" foam panels and 8 bass trapping corner thingies....

I know that's not the same as a real recording studio, especially with isolation, but it ought to make the room sound better and I'm not too worried about noise escaping to be honest. I think I'll try it and see.. a heck of a lot easier then putting in false walls and so forth, though I know I really ought to do both, but I don't really have the time or the space - this room would be a closet if I shrunk it, plus left an air gap!

Hopefully, this will work out OK... anyone have any last minute "No, don't do that"'s before I do that? :)

Pretty crappy, actually... rainy, not much sun right now. Gray and miserable.

Hey, if you're from around here - know anyone selling that Auralex stuff around here? Does Auralex let you buy direct?

That's probably easier if you don't have patience (like me :) ) to build your own.
Foam is stinky, though so beware. I'd check out some other manufacturers before you buy, though. I know Markertek sells an economical large foam sheet. Also check out Cutting Wedge ... it looks like they're coming out with a 'roominator' pack soon too. I think they're also a bit cheaper than Auralex.

Back