Acoustic paneling and bass traps and such.

MrWrenchey

Alright, so here's the deal. Me and my friend have the equipment to start recording demos. Decent computer, 8 channel firewire interface, mics for a full drum set, guitar cabs, vocals, bass DI, etc.
Acoustic treatment is extremely important in getting a decent sound, and I'm aware that throwing up a bunch of fiberglass panels will just suck the highs out and make the bass end still have problems (which, if I'm correct in saying, is typically the biggest problem area).
My question to you folks is the following: Where can I buy bass traps for a home studio?
Of course, if you have a link for DIY building bass traps, I'd be okay with that too... I'm basically just at a point where I know acoustical treatment is my primary concern, but I don't know what exactly I need.
Thanks in advance for any help. =]

Do you enjoy romantic walks on the beach? lol

I was asking because if he is in the states, I could give better info as to where to find materials to build panels.

Or, was I being frisky???

There are many threads here regarding building absorption panels/bass traps with rockwool. There are 3 locations in WA of an insulation supplier called SPI. They have great prices on Roxul 80.

Depending on cost of materials in your area, as well as your skills with DIY type projects, you can build 2'X4'X2" thick panels, with simple wood frames, for under $25 each. Cloth ends up being one of the greatest expenses actually. Find that cheap in your area, and you are well off to getting them built cheaply.

Compare that to $80+, buying panels from a manufacturer, you can save a ton of cash. I have built 17 so far, and filled my drum room ceiling with Roxul 80 for under $800. The build is quite easy. Finding the time to build, is usually the hardest part.

Perfect, thanks jimmys. That's just what I needed to know. =]
Also, Capt Hair for the link to building bass traps.
Also RAMI for comedic relief.

Feel free to ask for advice on the subject. I am no guru by any means to the subject, but I have done tons of research, and had many direct conversations with the professional members of this and other forums, that deal with room treatment and design. What has worked for myself, may not be the perfect answer for you, but what I have learned from everyone here, has improved my mixing ability ten thousand times over.

Perfect. When I can afford $800 for bass traps exclusively, you'll be the first I ask for help. xD

I hope I didn't come across as arrogant with money. I have none really. $800 is not a starting point. That is just what I have spent as of now. The first $150 I spent treating the corners of my control room, as well as the first reflection points, was the single most beneficial investment I think I have ever made, at least regarding translation of my mixes to other systems.. Suddenly, I was able to actually able to listen to what I was hearing in my room.

I am not one of those guys who says 'treat your room or all will suck'. But I will honestly say that if you don't, you will regret it after you finally do.

If you lived in Denver, I would invite you over to build you some panels without charge. Well, pizza and milk might be your cost. :D

Jimmy

You could also just purchase rolls of the 'fluffy' pink insulation. Stack them in the corners (in their original plastic wrap). Then return them after you are done recording. Home Depot don't care. Seriously, this would be better than doing nothing at all.

Haha, you didn't come off as pompous.
I'm a broke college student. My account has $10 in it right now, so any sort of acoustic treatment as of right now is out of the question, so $800 sounds enormous to me. xD
I love the budget option. That sounds glorious.

Haha, you didn't come off as pompous.
I'm a broke college student. My account has $10 in it right now, so any sort of acoustic treatment as of right now is out of the question, so $800 sounds enormous to me. xD
I love the budget option. That sounds glorious.

Definitely shop around then.

Lowes is selling Roxul now: Linky

There's also a material called, "Ultra Touch", which is actually recycled denim made into insulation. I've made a couple panels out of them and the absorption specs are better than OC and a few of the others.

Here's a link to the thread I made about it a while back: Linky

All the different brands are near enough the same, just shop around in your area for which is going to be the most cost effective.

Oh, and flirt with the girls that work at fabric stores, and get their discounts lol

Also if you have a truck you can go to construction sites and ask for their scrap wood, that's where I got all the wood for my builds, never buy what you can get for free :p

If you can do all that^^^ each panel will be around $15-16.

LOL! That actually worked for me once! :D

Lol the poor girls :p, I was messing with one this past October.

She said, "So why are you buying 50 yards of black fabric? Are you making a halloween costume or something?"...I said, "something like that...you know how most people when they want to be ghosts just put a white sheet over them? Well that's just dumb, I'm going to be a black ghost and for it to be realistic I have to be very very tall...."

She laughed, I won! :D

Back