Acoustic Panel without frame and hang it overhead (DIY)

The panels are aprox 2'x3' acoustic ceiling tiles. They were wrapped in quilt batting from a sewing store. That made them about 2" thick with the burlap. My room is 10'x12 with 9' ceiling. Maybe the panels are no better than foam and just damping reflections but they definately made a difference in the room sound.

IMG_1103.JPGIMG_1104.JPGIMG_1106.JPGIMG_1107.JPGIMG_1103.JPGIMG_1104.JPGIMG_1106.JPGIMG_1107.JPG
The panels are aprox 2'x3' acoustic ceiling tiles. They were wrapped in quilt batting from a sewing store. That made them about 2" thick with the burlap. My room is 10'x12 with 9' ceiling. Maybe the panels are no better than foam and just damping reflections but they definately made a difference in the room sound.

It seems you should have done some research before man. Sorry but you wasted money and time. :(

The 'quilting material' you used is completely useless. The fabric may be usable later and the fiber stuff for for pillows of chairs in your studio...

There may be some effective flutter echo resolve here so props to that. But in no way the best product. Did you not listen to us here or search the internet? I feel bad that you wasted your time and effort with bad information.

So the amount of work you did without listening to advice and spending a few more $$ is likely going to punch you in the ass. You really need to direct your knowledge to those that have done this. Listen to those that know what they are talking about that are in a similar situation as you are.

Shit in is Shit out. If you don't get the room right, then you fuck yourself. Sorry man, but I think you just fucked yourself by cutting corners.

I am not here to sell anything. I learned the hard way how to get rooms right. I just wish to share my experiences with others.

I could be doing everything wrong. But it sounds good to me. :)

Jimmy speak truth! Flutter echo is fairly easy to treat, but it's the low end (bass and low-mid frequencies) that are the real problem in small rooms and your make-shift ceiling tile panels are not going to do anything for those frequencies.

That's an interesting choice of room finish for the walls, ceiling...what about the floor?

The floor is concrete slab covered with vinyl tile. The walls are 'chipboard'. The surface is slightly rough and maybe not as reflective as sheetrock. Cheap and rigid.
I DID do lots of research, calculations and put some thought in to my experiment. Not perfect but did seem to make a noticable difference for the energy expended. Sorry if i misinformed anyone with my post. I won't make that mistake again.

The floor is concrete slab covered with vinyl tile.

Very well done! That is what the top Studio Designers for multi million dollar studios recommend as "Highly Exceptionable" for floor treatment.

The walls are 'chipboard'. The surface is slightly rough and maybe not as reflective as sheetrock. Cheap and rigid.

Again, a very wise move on your part as ANY rough surface for the walls or ceiling is 100% better than smooth surfaces! It's called diffusion by the Pros.

I DID do lots of research, calculations and put some thought in to my experiment. Not perfect but did seem to make a noticeable difference for the energy expended.

I have spent around 38 days now, just as you did doing my homework. In fact, I now have a "change order" numbered 38, due to your design. I like it and I will use it for my own studio!

Sorry if i misinformed anyone with my post. I won't make that mistake again.

Your last sentence is futile. Your post was not misleading whatsoever. When I get to the point of not making mistakes, it will be 5 min after I am 6 feet under! Your setup looks great and if it made an improvement, than how can you lose? Peace Out!!

p.s. I gave myself 5 min after being 6 feet under just in case I needed to tell my Higher Being how I think He should have run things while I was here down on earth. I am pretty sure that will be the whopper as well as the last of my "mistakes".

...Not perfect but did seem to make a noticable difference for the energy expended. ....
I think that's how many if not most of us have to start.

What I found is that the initial difference can be startling and you have to learn to listen to things again. Then, you'll hear more things that need addressed, and wonder how you could not have heard how bad it was before, since you couldn't even hear the stuff you're now hearing!

As has been said in other threads, mixing and recording rooms have different requirements, but a lot of us also have to make the one/only room we have dual purpose. Bass traps in the corners would be my next step. A pack of Roxul Safe'n'Sound, wood for frames, a few dozen screws and muslin from Wal-mart will probably set you back about $150+/- and be really effective.

Here's some single depth frames I built. With a 12-pack you could build 4 double-thickness and 4 single-thickness, or 6 double-thickness (what I use because one corner is the door I have to keep usable).

Keep plugging away.

Back