Acoustic panel fabric.. i know, another question! (Canada)

Kapo_Polenton

So I've sourced and bought some semi rigid rockwool and wood to build frames. Now I am stumped on acoustic fabric. I went to a few fabric places today and the costs were both too high (15+ a yard) and not what I wanted. So I am trying to source some stuff on line.. this place Broadcloth | J&O Fabric Store has some good prices. My question is, broadcloth and muslin have both been listed as good materials for panels. Anyone have experience with them? Is this the stuff I want? How thick is it in terms of when it is stapled to the frame?

Thanks.

Also, anyone knowing any Canadian links or distributors, let's hear em.

The two things you need in a suitable fabric are (a) it must be breathable and (b) it should be fire rated. The simple test for beathability is put it over your mouth and exhale. Muslin certainly is and I suspect broadcloth will be also as it should have a high percentage wool content. You should be able to request a swatch so that you can check how thick and how breathable teh material is before commiting to a whole roll.

How important is fire rating anyway? Most places add $ for that and I am under the assumption they just spray it with a solution of some type. Besides, I figure everything else in there is probably flammable already from studs amp cabs.

I have a few colour swatches from GIK already and surprisingly I didn't think the breath test gave me much. This clearly is acoustic fabric and when I blow, I def don't feel a strong current. The same goes with the suede covers. The ATS stuff on the other hand, is burlap with larger holes in it and that I def can blow through. Obviously I find the GIK type to be much nicer. (not the GOM stuff either) That's what I'm looking for.

I went with inexpensive cotton fabric used for backing of curtains. Very breathable. $2-3 per yd. I believe it was Jo Ann Fabrics.

How important is fire rating anyway?...

How much you like your band room?

Think about it. If even one spark of some sort hits muslin or even burlap, that stuff will be GONE.

I know, there's a fine line between good enough, and good. If you don't smoke and don't light off fireworks in your sound room, then I'm sure you'll be fine. But if you wanna make sure the home insurance policy covers you just in case something actually does happen while you're at work and nobody's home....

About ten years ago I lost two cousins who's basement caught on fire while they were having band practice. The fire department said it wasn't the fire that likely killed them; it was the fumes given off by their DIY soundproofing. They might have been able to escape a normal fire, but the accelerated rate at which their soundproofing burned, combined with the fumes was (sadly) overwhelming. My aunt and uncle (both accomplished musicians) were devastated. Think about their hindsight- would they have paid the extra money for their kids to have fire rated materials considering what happened? You bet your ass. It haunts them.

Devastating indeed, I'm sorry for your family's loss Drone. You both make good points... makes me wonder then how many of these acoustic panel companies actually make their product stand up to fire?

The GOM fabric sure as hell ain't cheap! Also are there any fabrics that are fire retardant or fire rated that are not as expensive? The hard part about all this available fabric is finding fire rated stuff.

... are there any fabrics that are fire retardant or fire rated that are not as expensive?

The usually mentined one is burlap because it is about as cheap as fabrics come. Garden centre burlap probably will not be fire rated but from a furniture manufacturer it probably has to be, depending on your country's fire regulations.

For any canadians looking into fabric, just to update you that the cost of shipping for 15 yards of GOM from fabricmate is about 100$. Insane. The search continues for fire rated fabric. I think the idea about going to a furniture manufacturer or seeing where they get their fabric might be in order. I find it hard to beleive that we produce nothing anymore in this country.

You could go to your nearest drapery store and find any material within your budget and try blowing through it. If you can it is breathable. If it is for interior use it probably has been treated with a fire retardant. Bingo!

I used burlap on two 9' superchunks and one 7.8' superchunk I built recently. I wasn't crazy about burlap but now that they are installed they actually look pretty good. I'll post a few pics later.

Do they sell anything you can treat fabric with to make it flame retardant? I just ordered my 2 cases of mineral wool today :D

AFB-2
Roxul Acoustical Fire Batts, Mineral Wool, 2-inch, Case of 6 (Made in Canada)

I have been using foam pads that you buy for kids play areas and bathrooms on the walls, ceiling and floor. They work quite well, especially if you cover heavy draped moving blankets over them

I have been using foam pads that you buy for kids play areas and bathrooms on the walls, ceiling and floor. They work quite well, especially if you cover heavy draped moving blankets over them

Foam pads work well at absorbing higher frequencies. What did you do for bass traps?

As far as the pads made for kids playrooms that I have seen, they are closed cell foam that will not absorb anything. I use them ice fishing to keep my knees dry. You cant breathe through them.

For theater work there is a fire resistant spray (in a can) that is sprayed on all fabrics on a set.

I'll try and find out what it is, but maybe google is faster. ;)

Actually guys, this Roxul stuff is rated as flame retardant.. i got the curtain rock and it says it is treated so to be honest, I think i am not going to pursue this FR rated 15+ $ a yard stuff and just try to source some broadcloth. Something also to think about.

Back