Acoustic Design for New Room

miggycash

I just finished building a home office/recording studio. Most of my recording is via a Focusrite Scarlett solo to my PC running reaper. Aside from acoustic guitar and vocals, other instruments are handled through the Scarlett or MIDI.

Room: The room is 13’ long, 9’ wide, and 9’ ceiling. I used 5/8 sheetrock with Roxul Safe and Sound in both the ceiling and walls. I do have five guitars handing on a custom rack that I built and have room to place acoustic treatment behind them.

Problem: When performing the clapping test, I hear a metal ringing sound throughout the room. When on phone calls or having a conversation, there is an echo in the room.

Proposed Solution:
To save costs, I’d like to custom build my own treatments to the dimensions listed in my diagram using 1”x3”, Roxul Safe and Sound insulation, and breathable fabric to finish. The only thing I have not accounted for in my diagram are bass traps.
Based on the info provided, am I on the right track for removing echo and the ringing vibration? Any recommendations or is additional information needed?
Acoustics-640x480.jpgWall 1-640x480.JPGWall 2-640x480.JPGWall 3-640x480.JPGWall 4-640x480.JPG

Putting the Roxul in the walls is nice for people out of the room, but obviously doesn't do anything for the room itself.

Because Roxul is actually 3" deep, you'll need to use 1"x4" standard lumber for basic panels, and (probably - what I used) 1x8 for bass traps (with an air gap, perhaps), unless you go 3x depth, then 1x10s.

I'd move the desk to the short wall where the guitars are (and move them), then build your bass traps. treat the wall in front of the desk, put clouds over the desk and first reflection points. Start listening and measuring if you want. Probably more treatment on the walls (whichever ones don't have guitars) and wall-celing joins, with maybe a cloud or two over areas where folks record. I wouldn't get fancy, but measure your total surface area and the absorption of what you have, and work for a good overall value (use the room node calculators to pick a target, but...). Keep listening, especially if you want to record acoustic instruments so it doesn't get too dead.

Yes, you need to move your desk and monitors to that short wall (#4), then bass traps and side wall traps (point of first reflection) and a ceiling cloud over the mixing area.

Yeah...as others are saying...you need broadband traps (you can make them out of Roxul or several other types of material) on the walls inside the room.
That will remove that "metal ringing" you are hearing. You will also want something on the ceiling, especially over you mix position, which will work better centered on the short wall facing the long length of the room.
In the room corners you will want some bass traps...same as broadband, just beefier.
Also make sure some of your broadband traps or on the side walls where the first reflection points from the speakers would be.

Hello to music producers, audio and acoustic engineers, DJs, and musicians. Today I would like to tell you about a wonderful project, in which I was honored to take part. Sorry for self-promotion but I guess it can be useful. Our website is suitable both for beginners in the world of music creation and for more experienced producers and engineers. Here is a link to it, if anyone is interested. Thank you for attention.

Very useful services for music producers, audio and acoustic engineers, and DJs.

Back