Acoustic ceiling tile coefficient question

Crying Wolf

image.jpg

So can you use 24x24 acoustical ceiling tiles covered in fabric as mid to high absorption panels? Maybe even two stacked? It looks like a good broadband absorber but since I have never seen it used there must be a reason. Any thoughts?

Two things about the chart...
1) I would never recommend using 2" 703 on the ceiling without an air gap. That's going to help your low end. 4" 703 with a 2" air gap will block quite a bit of that 125 Hz problem.
2) Anyone see why people on this board recommend 703/roxul over foam? Any questions there? :)

Ethan Winer's density tests: HERE

Now I have a question...What are these "Acoustic Ceiling Tiles" that have such a nice flat deadening curve?

Thanks man....yeah bass traps were in mind to handle low end....I was more wondering about mid to highs. I am going for a dead room so superchunks for bass and my plan was to look at foam absorbers for mid to high but then I saw the coefficients for acoustical ceiling tile and I have about 100 spare tiles so I thought hmmmmm.... Wonder if it would work.

By the numbers :eek: it should. Having said that, if you can PM Ethan (he's on this board, just look him up); or John Brandt (same story) they're usually real helpful. They did wonders for my room just giving me advice and the tools to work with...

Back