51-54Hz = 6db Hump?

Better yet ..or in addition :) just get up and move around a bit, you get 'average response.

I was going to suggest moving the listening position to a more neutral place, but this reminds me that I often pace around the room in a figure-8 pattern in order to hear the variations caused by listening position.

Did you look into building a diaphragmatic absorber? They're designed to cut really bad really low problems (like are found in square rooms). I realize you don't have a lot of room, but getting it right is really for the best.
It's like a speaker enclosure with no holes. Make it out of 1" MDF with a 1/4" face. For 52Hz center frequency you would need ~24"x48"x10.5". Make two for the back wall and fill with high density (3" mineral wool like Certain-Teed from Saint Grobain or OC705) (pile it three layers thick and leave a bit of air gap at the face for movement).

I was going to suggest moving the listening position to a more neutral place, but this reminds me that I often pace around the room in a figure-8 pattern in order to hear the variations caused by listening position.
Same here (except for the 'fig-eight 'pacing around tac :p I know I have to just get off my ass and stand over to the corner of my old Mackie mixer to get my alt-low freq view.
Works just fine
:guitar:

BTW OP- Do the same with your comercial ref tracks.. Helps sort out the situation.

Did you look into building a diaphragmatic absorber? They're designed to cut really bad really low problems (like are found in square rooms). I realize you don't have a lot of room, but getting it right is really for the best.
It's like a speaker enclosure with no holes. Make it out of 1" MDF with a 1/4" face. For 52Hz center frequency you would need ~24"x48"x10.5". Make two for the back wall and fill with high density (3" mineral wool like Certain-Teed from Saint Grobain or OC705) (pile it three layers thick and leave a bit of air gap at the face for movement).

Yeah, I did some reading about these. I'd come up with a slightly different dimension but in the ballpark of what you suggest. Unfortunetly, I just don't have the space. This room is also my instrument storage room and my home office. I guess I could make them, store them in the garage and bring them in when I'm doing a mix... but darn, those things would be a pita to have to move around frequently. I wonder if the wife would let me have the master bedroom for my music room and then move the master bedroom furniture into this room :rolleyes:

So what about using headphones to check the 52Hz balance?

I understand this isn't the ideal way to do things, but if you are unable to fix this issue the correct way, what is the best band-aid approach?
I'd rather trust a bad room's low end than the low end on headphones...

Yeah, I did some reading about these. I'd come up with a slightly different dimension but in the ballpark of what you suggest. Unfortunetly, I just don't have the space. This room is also my instrument storage room and my home office. I guess I could make them, store them in the garage and bring them in when I'm doing a mix... but darn, those things would be a pita to have to move around frequently. I wonder if the wife would let me have the master bedroom for my music room and then move the master bedroom furniture into this room :rolleyes:

Well, you could ask, but make sure you've got an inflatable mattress that you can use in your office for a few nights after you ask! I tried to get my wife to switch rooms - her hobbyroom/office with mine, because hers is just a bit bigger, and has a sloped ceiling on one side which would help me in lessening parallel surfaces. She thought about it for a minute before saying 'no'. I'd rather have my living room, and move the big TV into my studio room, but that ain't gonna happen either. :(

You like being married?

Well, you could ask, but make sure you've got an inflatable mattress that you can use in your office for a few nights after you ask! I tried to get my wife to switch rooms - her hobbyroom/office with mine, because hers is just a bit bigger, and has a sloped ceiling on one side which would help me in lessening parallel surfaces. She thought about it for a minute before saying 'no'. I'd rather have my living room, and move the big TV into my studio room, but that ain't gonna happen either. :(

You like being married?

This type of comment always reminds me how much I LOVE my wife!!! :) She just up and volunteered to let me have my studio room. Moved her stuff out, cleaned the room up and let it go.

This type of comment always reminds me how much I LOVE my wife!!! :) She just up and volunteered to let me have my studio room. Moved her stuff out, cleaned the room up and let it go.
We 'share both our front and middle rooms. Me and my guitar/pa/recording rigs, her bass rigs.
Yep, got a good'un :p

We 'share both our front and middle rooms. Me and my guitar/pa/recording rigs, her bass rigs.
Yep, got a good'un :p

She's a fisherman ...errr ... woman? :o Fishing rods don't take a lot of room, but those stuffed fish on the wall don't make good acoustic traps at all.

singingbass.jpg

Not everyone has the luck (or balls) to marry a fellow musician.

Back