$4000 Budget - Help me build my home studio!

btref

Hey, I can tell that there are many people in this thread who know a hell of a lot about production and engineering. I don't have much of a story yet, I guess im just a starry eyed kid trying to make some hiphop music that people can enjoy.

So to be blatantly honest, I came fore some advice. I have been recording in a tiny closet on a yeti usb microphone using garageband to do all my post production (I know, it is very advanced :P)
But next year me and a few friends are getting a place together and we are setting up a studio, most likely in a medium sized bedroom.

I currently have a macbook pro running Logic Pro 9
I have a pair of M-Audio monitors
I have a MPD 32

So my real question is, what equipment do you veterans recommend I have a budget of up to $4000 - So, How would you spend it?

Microphone? (Ive heard good things about the Rode K2, Nuemann TLM 103 and the Shure SM7B - any other suggestions?)
Interface?
Preamp?
Acoustic treatment (basstraps etc.)?
Anything else?

Thank you for your time and input
-B

The acoustic treatment advice might have to wait until you actually have the room and know it's dimensions, ceiling height, floor material, etc, but -

Ethan's article here: RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room
and Massive's here: Rookie Room Setup - Basic Room Setup and Treatment | Articles

are two pages I have bookmarked that are concise, easy to read, and full of awesome to get you thinking on the right track about how to get the most from your room. Plus they're both written by active members of this board, which is cool. As for the equipment, your thread in the newbies part is a better place to ask about that, so I'm gonna comment over there.

Hopefully I can help a bit...

I have a RME Fireface UFX interface (2000$) and a Neumann TLM 103 (650$ used on ebay) and it does all the job I need so far. I have no room treatment either...

Note my signature line....

'room filled with equipment a recording studio does not make' - Yoda

Note my signature line....

Ahahah, I have to trust someone using a star wars reference, he must be a techy :P

If i send you dimensions of the room, can you tell me what acoustic treatment you would recommend?

Microphone? (Ive heard good things about the Rode K2, Nuemann TLM 103 and the Shure SM7B - any other suggestions?)
Interface?
Preamp?
Acoustic treatment (basstraps etc.)?
Anything else

The SM7B is a good mic, I think the AT2020 is a popular mic on the rap scene, but maybe I am mixing it up with another model, I don't have one.

The best deal for an interface is a Tascam US1800 (16 channel USB) for around $300 and you really don't need anything else to convert analog to digital.

If you are mostly recording vocals and all your music is beats and synths and not recorded live, I would probably look into a great vocal setup.

If it were me I would probably get a Vintech X73i ($1375) and a RNC or RNLA ($300) for a compressor with an SM7b. The Joemeek SixQ2 channel strip is an amp and compressor for $800 and I have heard good things about it.

You will want to set aside budget for acoustic treatment but there you can build your won for pretty cheap. An average room can be tamed with a dozen or so panels and DIY building can be as little as $300 if you have tools.

I'm no expert on preamps and mics and crap, I would post some ideas in the mic forum.

You'd be set with the 7b. I've also seen the AKG 414 mentioned more than a few times over at gearslutz for a good "counter" mic to the 7b. Personally have not been a fan of anything Nuemann thus far in my experience for vocals. *shrugs*

I'm absolutely in love with the Daking mic pre "green brick", not having to much to play with as far as pre amps, it's been my work horse for everything I've done lately. They run around $750. Has some very slight coloration that I really like.

My advice would be to get a Mic (the 7b, you'll have it forever), get a mic pre that's within your budget, get a small interface if your just doing vocals, some basic acoustic treatment. You'd probably be around $1700 or so at that point. Save the rest as your "studio fund" then as you go forward acquire more equipment on a "needed" basis.

Nope..it still needs an engineer, the muses and a whole bunch of enthusiasm too.:D

John, to a certain extent I agree, but there's a million degrees of "recording studio". So let's differentiate something here. This is HR, and most HR newbie studios are of the "hey, let's record our band and have fun doing it" variety. Yea, they'll learn sooner or later, that their enthusiasm is no substitute for all the things it takes to make a good recording time after time after time. But doggone, I remember when all I had was a two track cassette and a stage mixer/cheap mic, and it didn't deter me from having fun and doing the best with what I had. Sure, the recordings weren't terrific, but I wouldn't trade those times for a million dollars worth of acoustics.

Then I started learning..and haven't stopped. But the most important thing I've learned so far, is .."a room filled with a million dollars worth of acoustics a recording studio does not make'..too. For HR enthusiast...what makes it a recording studio is DOING IT. :p

Back