$30 Vocal Booth that Works

Just because it's on the internet (internet dictionary is close to oxymoronic after all - it should be internet glossary) doesn't make it real or right.
I know the language is in a state of flux but that doesn't make it right either.
Misuse doesn't make right use.
That word only has currency because it's purveyed through the internet and in certain settings has quasi jargon/technical status. We all know how wrong jargon can be outside its specific context afterall.

dude thats a great little song and the recording overall sounds great to me! It is amazing how high the quality of modest home recording set ups has gotten.

nice separation of all your instruments. I need to learn to mix better.. i just crank everything up because i am an idiot lead guitar player hahahah LOUDER!!

As promised, here's a link to the MP3 that came out of the sessions with this new, cheap vocal booth. I guess the better idea would be to post just the vocal line with no effects to really hear how quiet it is.

or

http://www.myspace.com/evanlesser

re:

gonna chime in here since I read this whole thread. first off, nice work on the booth; glad to hear it's working out for you. And nice recording. I found myself trying to be very forgiving when I heard some WEIRD timing issues, but I realized I had two players going and there was a 1/4 second delay! haha.

about the foam. firstly, if he's the only one who is going to use the booth, then he can tailor it to his needs right? if his voice never goes very low, (even if it did it would not have much amplitude), then low frequencies will not be a problem, right? perhaps Dave Gahan is another story. on the other hand, i think the harmonic content is what makes a voice unique, and if you suppress certain frequencies with low-freq modes then you sort of strip some of the character out of the voice.

secondly, won't most low frequencies pass through the wood? i've read that dense/rigid walls are very problematic in terms of creating modes, such as concrete walls in a basement. but no wall is infinitely dense, and that particle board is FAR from it. he has basically built a room within a room, hasn't he? ok - notice all of the question marks. newbie here!

Wow....

"Wont Hurt One bit" sounds excellent to my ears !

Great song, great production!

Would you mind listing your pre's and mics used ?

Drums are electronic right?

Wow....

"Wont Hurt One bit" sounds excellent to my ears !
Great song, great production!
Would you mind listing your pre's and mics used ?
Drums are electronic right?

Yeah, I'm happy with the production. The only mic used was a vocal mic - an AT3030 into an ART TubeMP. Everything else was direct.

What makes you think the drums are electronic?

They sounded electronic !?!?

Looks like I guessed wrong ??!?!

No, you guessed right, but you are the first person to consider it, so I was curious. The drums are Toontrack's EZ Drummer, although the patterns are 100% custom/original - no stock midi files used.

No, you guessed right, but you are the first person to consider it, so I was curious. The drums are Toontrack's EZ Drummer, although the patterns are 100% custom/original - no stock midi files used.

Well the song sounds great to me.

I may have picked the drums out a little easy, as I have EZ Drummer, and I did own a Roland set of V-drums for almost a year, so, I am used to the sound of e-drums.

nice song i like it

not too keen on the keyboard intro sound would perfer that to be played on the guitar sounds too much like something you would hear in a 80's computer game.
its mainly the intro where it sounds out of place rest of the song it blends better.

other than that great song

Damn nice song! Great melody! I agree that the intro "Rhodes" sounds a bit out of place - a little too up front and dry. The drums do sound electronic. If you have EZ Drummer, maybe the Drum Kit From Hell might be a good investment ($99 last I looked).
Your vocals sound AOK to my blown-out ears, so your booth must be doing something right:>)! Thanks for the info! I'm in the process of having a booth constructed in my basement too. Take care.

Matt

Good stuff. :) Your booth does for you what you need it do. In other words, form fits function.

Mission accomplished!

12:18AM-Fri 7-11-09
Look, I've just listened to a CLEAN, good sounding recording "it Won't hurt one Bit" and it didn't !! Damn, I'm glad I came upon this thread as I am in the MIDDLE of rebuilding home studio after 9+ years of using it as a storage shed for crap & computer parts. I finally got a decent Condencer Mic-& a Tascam multiTrack & I've worried..."what the hell am i gonna do when I install the 8k BTU A/C-for that mic picks up farts at 150 yards !
Now i have 2 solutions ! Thanks for the pics--I'm going to Home Depot for PVC as i can also use that stand setup for "Chroma-Key" backgrounds !!!! Thanks Guys-I'd include pics, but none of you care to see a dump w/ covered keyboards & a leslie, spider webs & dead roaches. I'm on a search & destroy mission AGAIN tomorrow since I bombed the place today. Nice meeting you--what a great bunch of guys to include photos!! Ciao fr. So Florida..Don

Last edited:
Back