Wanna buy a studio desk! Any suggestions?

IvyPoison

Hey guys,

like the title says I´am looking for a studio desk. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I wanted to buy a Sterling but it is to expensive. Yesterday I stumbled upon this german company called "Sessiondesk" -> Sessiondesk Studiomöbel

What do you guys think about them?

Hope to hear from anyone.:thumbs up:

I think I'm going to build one when I move my studio into the ultimate studio room (in a few years). For now I have a very temporary folding table and "riser" setup. I agree that building one is much cheaper.

I built mine a few weeks ago - 4x8 sheet of 3/4" poplar stripped down to 32" wide, the excess made great non-attached risers for video monitor and speakers with storage underneath. Rubber-foam 'L' from amazon around the outside edge, 1x12" for a middle support-storage area, plus some table legs that screw into brackets. Total cost was about $120 including stain and polyurethane.

I also made my own. Way cheap, although I don't like to let people look too close at my joinery skills. But it does what I want.

Just bought THIS DESK because my woodcraft skill is naught.
If you're at all handy with a saw, build your own. Probably $150 in parts to this thing (including all the 19" rackmounts) if you built it entirely out of wood.
Pros: Lots of 19" rack, nice wide riser, spaces for LOTS of different things, HD casters on the bottom roll easily to move it about when I need to, full width tray on the back to hold all the excess cable. The thing is SOLID.
Cons: $500, NEED to isolate your speakers.

desk1.JPG

desk2.JPG

desk3.jpg

The area to the right underneath is storage area for all my 'live' gear, and the area under the shelf in the center holds two milkcrates (all my live gear cables, lights, etc, just not put away from last night yet). This was my biggest reason for building the desk - needed more storage area as well as work surface.

Hey! The multi-photo uploader is finally working!

Building it is the way to go. I'm not blessed with carpentry/cabinetry skills. However you can hire someone to build exactly what you want at a reasonable price. There are a lot of videos on YouTube of people building them.

Nice desk Mike! Well done!

Thanks, it was very easy to do - I'm no finish carpenter. Circular saw and jig saw (to cut the radius on the left corner), hammer and nails, screwdriver (for the leg brackets), sandpaper, brush and rags for the staining and polyurethane.

Last edited:
Just bought THIS DESK because my woodcraft skill is naught.
If you're at all handy with a saw, build your own. Probably $150 in parts to this thing (including all the 19" rackmounts) if you built it entirely out of wood.
Pros: Lots of 19" rack, nice wide riser, spaces for LOTS of different things, HD casters on the bottom roll easily to move it about when I need to, full width tray on the back to hold all the excess cable. The thing is SOLID.
Cons: $500, NEED to isolate your speakers.

I have the same desk, but I got mine on Craigs List for $200.

It's okay, definitely going to up grade once I get a mixer.

I built this for a local studio earlier this year.

Attachments

• dig insight 01.jpg
    dig insight 01.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 65
  • dig insight 02.jpg
    dig insight 02.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 65
Back