vocal "isolation room" under the stairs- what type of glass?

Daniel J

Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of getting a little recording space going (that currently doubles as my office). On the other side of the right wall of my office (which is in the basement) is the staircase leading to the main level. Currently, there is a nice open area under the stairs roughly 3 1/4 feet from stud to stud and open after the top of the stairs. My plan is to build a space that will be at least 3 feet (I may build it out, but this would require putting it directly under an air duct which is already very low) by 5 or 6 feet.

I'm on a limited budget and I'm not looking to build a studio-grade sound proof room, but I am looking for a bit of isolation between my office/control room and the "isolation room." I plan to use standard 2X4s and standard drywall and to insulate the walls with Roxul Safe and Sound and then line the walls with some type of acoustic absorption material. I also plan to cut a window probably 24 X 36 inches. My question is about the glass. I can get standard glass panes at Lowes (I plan to do a double pane - one on each side of the wall). The price is attractive, but I'm not sure if I should consider buying thicker glass. I've researched and understand the "weak link" theory. Since my wall is not going to be super soundproof anyway, I don't want to waste money on great glass only to have my wall be the "weak link" but if it's worth buying more expensive glasses (if the window would be the "weak link" I can certainly spring for this. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Daniel

under the stairs.jpg

Making that space into a "studio-grade sound proof room" will be near on impossible. With stars right over your head you will need to build a room within a room construction to eliminate the noise of people walking on the stairs. You jus don't have enough head room.

Alan.

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the quick reply! As I noted above, I'm not looking to build a studio-grade sound proof room I realize that would be impossible in this space. I'm just wondering about what thickness of glass to purchase given the fact that the room will already have limitations (already not be soundproof). See above for the specs of what I'll be using. Thanks!

Because of the space limitations the thickness is going to be what you can fit in. I would go for the highest density glass you can find so that if what you can fit in is only 2" at least you have the density. Of course the more you can fit in the better. Have a read of this site about construction.

Also the paneling you are going to use on the inside of the booth also makes a big difference, 2 layers or even 3 reduces the sound by a massive amount. Don't forget to use solid core doors and good seals, and while on the subject of seals, an acoustics engineer once told me that sound is like water, if there is a gap it will get out/in. Never a truer word.

Oh and sorry about the "studio-grade sound proof room" comment, I miss-read the post and though you wanted to build this LOL.

Alan.

Unless you make a 'room within a room' - staggered double wall construction - your room will not be soundproof AT ALL. Sound will be transmitted through the studs and drywall. What are you planning on using this room for? Anything other than voice-overs is likely to sound dead and dull.

Not sure how you would get a door and a glass window in that opening anyway.

I will say that you are much better off spending your money on treating your main office room and record vocals there. Even if the room is only 10x12 it will sound better than that small space.

The only real reason for having a 'booth' is for isolation. You do not have the space to do that under the stairs. Not with isolation as well as absorption. It will sound like vocals recorded in a small room (box) no matter what money you throw at it.

I have a separate large treated isolation room with video camera, and I still record vocals in my control room. I find it more comfortable for artists as well as myself to record that way.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the thought-provoking responses. Alan, no problem on the "sound proof" comment. I figured you just missed the word "not". I understand the room will have limitations. I'm doing my best to use what I've got :) I realize sound will get through. I just want to minimize it wherever possible. I read about resilient channels helping with vibrational noise (foot steps, etc.) Would these also help with regular sound transmission? I'm really just looking for a barrier between the office/control room and the place I record vocals even if it's not a perfect one. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

I wouldn't waste time and money on that idea if I were you. It's not worth it. Put your time, money and effort into making your office/recording room as good as it can be and record you vocals in there. Vocals in a closet won't sound very good.

Last edited:
^^Plus 2 there. Or is that 3?

:)

Seriously man, unless you have some particular reason you need to have an 'inadequate' isolation room, you are going to waste your money and time.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm quite new to this "creating studio space" concept (as is likely obvious by now!) My thought was inspired by the "vocal booth" idea. This seems to be a popular method of recording vocals and sometimes other acoustic instruments. It seems that popular opinion on the forums, however, is that small spaces are terrible for recording and parallel walls are even worse (and most commercial vocal booths I see for sale are both small and include parallel walls.) Please don't misunderstand. I'm certainly not arguing this point- I'm just asking why the popularity of vocal booths? This concept (vocal booths) is really what led me down this road, but from the help I've received on this forum (and have seen elsewhere), it is seeming more and more to be a bad idea.

If there is a "good" type of vocal/isolation booth or room, I'm interested in those ideas. The fact is, I have more than just this space (picture above) in my basement. As I mentioned, I could build it out a bit (and without parallel walls) or alternately, directly behind where I sit is a big walk-in closet. Yes, I've learned that closets are bad, but there is a LOT of room to build this out into a larger space. I've included a picture to help you see the potential of making it up to 3 times the size! My question is, what is the ideal recording recording space in terms of dimensions, shape and structure- and if possible on a reasonable budget? Thanks to everyone for your help!

closet 1.jpgcloset 2.jpg

Hi,
There isn't really an ideal recording space because it all depends on what you want.
If you have a nice ambient room and the sound fits your needs, that's great.
You might prefer a dead sounding room and adding your own reverb later?

The vocal booth thing is so commonly recommended, as you say. I suppose it's one of these things that's misunderstood and perpetuated.
In a 'real' studio the vocal booth is likely to be a LOT bigger than any home booth.
It'll be well treated in order to minimise standing waves, but the primary purpose of it will be to allow the recording of vocals at the same time as the recording of a band, without bleed.

If vocals are being overdubbed they might be done in the same space, or the might be done in a live room which usually has its own recognisable ambience, but adequate treatment to kill any nasty buildups.

Hope that's useful.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm quite new to this "creating studio space" concept (as is likely obvious by now!) My thought was inspired by the "vocal booth" idea. This seems to be a popular method of recording vocals and sometimes other acoustic instruments. It seems that popular opinion on the forums, however, is that small spaces are terrible for recording and parallel walls are even worse (and most commercial vocal booths I see for sale are both small and include parallel walls.) Please don't misunderstand. I'm certainly not arguing this point- I'm just asking why the popularity of vocal booths? This concept (vocal booths) is really what led me down this road, but from the help I've received on this forum (and have seen elsewhere), it is seeming more and more to be a bad idea.

If there is a "good" type of vocal/isolation booth or room, I'm interested in those ideas. The fact is, I have more than just this space (picture above) in my basement. As I mentioned, I could build it out a bit (and without parallel walls) or alternately, directly behind where I sit is a big walk-in closet. Yes, I've learned that closets are bad, but there is a LOT of room to build this out into a larger space. I've included a picture to help you see the potential of making it up to 3 times the size! My question is, what is the ideal recording recording space in terms of dimensions, shape and structure- and if possible on a reasonable budget? Thanks to everyone for your help!

View attachment 89935View attachment 89936

Key point: 'Vocal Booths For Sale'. Think about that...

The internet is full of poor advice and those wishing to prey upon those that listen to it.

sigh....

Yes, there is a good type of vocal/isolation room. Problem is that it takes many thousands of dollars and large space to do it in. The ones who get screwed by companies that falsely claim that they have the answer, are the ones that have listened to countless shitty/bullshit youtube videos by artists that claim to have it all figured out.

Anyone who tells you that a closet sized space is ideal (Youtube or not), has no real experience with what works better and is likely just doing what their other 15 year old friends are doing. I do not mean to judge or be condescending, but anyone who thinks this is 'best' is just a complete idiot. Or it is a company trying to take others money to make profit from that type of poor advice.

The sad part of this is; it is cheaper to make your own friggen traps/absorbers than it is to buy shit that does not work as good as this.

People seem lazy and take some Youtube guys opinion as fact. Then buy shit that costs way more than necessary that does less.

Treat your room. And then test for free. Find out what your room needs more of. It is not that hard or expensive.

In the real world, a larger 'treated' space is better when it comes to realistic home recording situations.

Hope my rant helps.

:)

Ha ha! Yes Jimmy69- This helps completely! Youtube is actually where I started (boy I feel dumb now!) I'm glad I bothered to ask this question! can you point me to a resource for building quality traps? If I had a larger space (like if I built out my closet to 10 X 8) would that be of benefit? I do plan to occasionally record vocals and other instruments at one time. Thanks again to Jimmy69 and all others who replied for the great advice!

No need to feel dumb. Just hype and YouTube that lead people to the wrong decisions.

Tons of info here.

Sorry, halftime is over and my Denver Broncos are playing.
Be back later. :)

There are a few youtubes you'll find of people making thier own bass traps, just look for those making 2'x4' x 4" (at least) traps with OC703 or 705 or Roxul.

There are tons of videos on how to build your own bass traps. This one is one of the first I ever saw and still my favorite.

Personally, I didn't bother with glue, and I used a staple gun to put the wood together:

I'm certainly learning a lot! From what I gather, small rooms are bad in general to record in, parallel walls are not ideal and for isolation, and mass is what matters. If I overdub vocals, it seems like the best idea to record within the (larger) control room (assuming it sounds good) but for recording multiple instruments at a time, I've modified my "under the stairs" idea. I drew up a quick diagram - not even close to "scale" but it will give you the idea. I've modified the room size and room shape as well as made room for a double wall (the one against the control/mixing space). It also sounds like bass traps in the corners are a must if I choose to do this. I'd like to hear your feedback. Thanks!

recording room.jpg

That feels better man. The iso room I would build out the walls square, but use bass traps in the corners instead of 'walling' in the angles.

What are you planning on recording (other instruments) in the iso room?

Back