Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sound Absorption... HELP?

emergencyexit is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks

Sound Absorption... HELP?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am a 19 year old song writer/pianist/bassist who has been recording in a suburb outside of boston for 4+ years. 3 years ago I built 5 bass traps via ethan winers web site in my 40x30 live room, and we mixed in a concrete 15x15 box covered in the corners and all the direct reflecting spots with OC-703 rigid fiberglass. We had a budget at that point considering our age and lack of time for work aside from high school. Because of our location we had no need for isolation aside from the concrete mixing box (which i now understand is a terrible location for mixing)

I am going to Berklee next year and moving into the bottom apartment in a three story Building in Brighton. Unfortunately I believe the building lays on the end of two identical connected Apartment complexes owned by different landlords. The place is a spacious 3 bedroom with a huge living room and kitchen. I don't know the dimensions yet. The drummer is moving in with me and would like to be able to practice at reasonable hours. I'm sure that playing during the day will be fine with the neighbors but I would like to tone down on as much of the noise as possible. Luckily the walls of his room only touch other walls in our apartment or the outside of the building. So basically we have no side neighbors. We are thinking about converting his room into a fo-drum booth. Obviously its not a real booth because we can't do anything permanent like double the drywall or build a room with in a room. We do have a decent amount of money to spend though.

I'm no genius when it comes to acoustics but I believe that the most cost effective solution would be to try to get rid of most of the low frequencies via bass traps. I figure if I build a riser for the drums that is just a 5x6x1 sealed reverberating box and place 3" 703 about half way between the top and bottom that should do a decent amount. Essentially it would be a huge bass trap for him to play on. The box would be raised above the floor with rubber feet. I will also be sealing the back to the 5 bass traps I have and placing them in back of this drum riser a few inches away from the back wall in his room. My third Idea is to hang 3" 703 about half a foot from the ceiling. I believe the room is a 15x20 and I know that the drummer will be willing to give up at least half of it for sound absorption My question is, could anyone suggest a better method for this? Do I need the drum riser or is it kind of useless with the other traps and the dropped ceiling? Does someone have a completely different idea that may work better? Am I being a complete idiot?

Since I do not live there yet I do not have any further information about the place. I just would like to start building soon while I still have a place to do it.

Thank you,
    Ben
    http://www.emergencyexitmusic.com

Thanks
    Anyone? Please?

Thanks
    All you wanna learn is right here:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/

Enjoy!

apl
    apl is offline Stand Up Comity
    Thanks
    I think you're pretty much on track. I would not seal the back of the bass traps you have.
    The fabulous Naiant Mics, perfect for acoustic instruments!

If you don't have DavidK's CD, you are a loser.

My tunes. Thanks!
    NB
    DA BEARS!

Thanks
    Thanks apl. I took a look at John's site and realized that I did most of my research there 3 years ago when I made my original bass traps. The only problem with his site is that he mostly offers permanent solutions. I CAN NOT AFFORD TO LOOSE MY SECURITY DEPOSIT. So I can not afford to do anything permanent. I am wondering however, would it benefit me to include cinderblocks in some part of this drum riser? I know they are extremely dense and in most cases the only way to fully isolate in a multi unit building.

Please help me out?

Ben

Norris Shepherd is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    I really want to help you out.. but unfortunately there's no way to change the laws of physics.

I think that setting up the drums as you described, might help some, but it is in no way going to soundproof the room.

Bass traps are to treat the acoustics in a room, and really don't do much to sound proof.

If I'm getting this right, your primary concern is soundproofing the area to be able to not disturb you neighbors? I'm not trying to be negative, but i just don't think there is a magic/cheap/inexpensive/non-permanent solution to what you are trying to do.

http://www.acoustics101.com/basics.asp

There is a link to a good pdf booklet at that site, and it covers a lot on soundproofing.

Might need to start thinking of different options..... electric drums? a practice space elsewhere?

Supercreep is offline Lizard People
    Thanks
    Norris is right. Isolation and treatment are two different things.

Something to keep in mind: Building a drum booth that has satisfactory isolation requires a lot of mass. Also, it has to be airtight. Think of it like a fishtank - it doesn't matter where the hole is or how big it is. It is going to leak.

Bass trapping will help the drums sound good in the room.

Bass trapping will do nothing to isolate your neighbors from your drums.

apl
    apl is offline Stand Up Comity
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercreep View Post
    Bass trapping will do nothing to isolate your neighbors from your drums.
    If you have a source of given sound power in a reverberant room, the sound pressure level will be higher than the same source in an absorbant room. The transmission out of the room is a function of the sound pressure level, so adding absorption will have a marginal helpful effect on what gets through the wall.
    The fabulous Naiant Mics, perfect for acoustic instruments!

If you don't have DavidK's CD, you are a loser.

My tunes. Thanks!
    NB
    DA BEARS!

Thanks
    I'm not looking to completely isolate as i know it is impossible with non-permanent solutions. I believe I stated this before. I am not looking for it to be cheap, as I also stated. I am willing to construct something.

With that said I have been doing a decent amount of reading from my dad's MIT physics textbook. From what I understand the apartment is a bottom floor membrane in a three story building. That wooden membrane is split into almost 6 equal parts (2x3). One of the middle two rooms will be used for playing drums. I would like to reduce the waves enough to make it tolerable during the day when there are no laws about playing. I think cement or something with a lot of mass (possibly cinderblocks) could take care of anything transmitting into the floor. The rectangle traps would be for mid frequencies as well as mid-low into the ground. Ethan's traps surrounding for more low mid absorption. And a floating ceiling. I think that may do a decent amount. It's a shit load of thick 703 to do nothing and a good amount of concrete. I understand its not airtight from the houses original membrane but give me a brake I can't do anything to that extreme... and it will at least sound a lot nicer.

No one but APL has at least read what I am trying to do or what I can't do before writing something.

Thank you for helping
    Ben

Norris Shepherd is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Sounds like you already know what you are doing.

Apl is the only one who agreed with you. is that why you think he is the only one who read your post?

Looks like you are looking for validation and not information or opinions.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information