Small room, bad walls and other problems

-sx11-

Hi, my name is Sam
I'm new here and as I said before I'm an "experienced newbie" lol
By the way, here it is,
I have some sort of experience in mixing (I've worked for some studios here in my country) but I moved to a bigger city and I now live in a flat with another guy.
The walls of this flat are literally paper and the room acoustic, well, you can figure it out yourself (I can almost hear the neighbours talking) but I don't wanna give up mixing!
My budget is not that high, like 300$
So, is better for me to buy some nearfields (I need some monitors that can work well even with a small amount of volume) or to buy some decent headphones and maybe in the future a decent preamp?
(I'm not a native english speaker, I beg you pardon)

$300 will get you a half-decent set of monitors in the US (not sure where you are or what prices are) like the JBL LSR305 - but they won't do you much good unless you treat your room acoustically - bass traps, so chances are you may do better at this stage with a good set of headphones.

Agreed. Headphones are your best bet in a small, untreated space with too thin walls to keep the sound in. You'll just need to learn to take your mixes to sources and learn how to adjust from those sources: meaning play your mixes in your car, through the house stereo, etc. listening for problems in the sound. This is a good technique for anyone, but is necessary when mixing with headphones as certain things can be missed without the interaction of both ears in the room...

Thank you so much!
Any advice on some models?
A friend of mine told me about the Grado 125i, for example.
Should I go for some closed-back or open-back?
Thank you (again) in advance, you guys are great!

Models, how about Candice Swanepoel or Doutzen Kroes? They might be a little high maintenance, though...
Anyway, aren't the Grados audiophile on ear type? Not very comfortable for long haul mixing/tracking. I had a pair of Denon AD340s that were wonderful until the left speaker crackled out, but they're not great for studio work.
Shoot for closed back over the ear cans. You'll be much more comfortable. I just bought the Sennheiser Pro380's and I love them (and they're $20 cheaper than the grados). Wore them 4 hours straight yesterday and never had a problem. The sound quality is not up to what my old audiophile Denon's were, but they are so much more comfortable, I can't see wishing to go back.
Others to consider, AT-M50's White or black/straight or coiled lead. AKG's K171's are pretty new, but are supposed to be one of the most comfortable headphones available, and of course Allen & Heath's XONE 53's are amazing.

ahaha LOL
Thank you!
those "models" have a flat response?
Probably it's just me, but when I read DJ headphones I think of some "hyper-bass" ones.

They have practically no spikes or dips when I deal with them...REALLY flat response.
Yeah, I don't do Dre or Beats or any of that junk. But I don't think I listed any DJ cans.
The idea of closed back and over the ear is you get a lot less bleed into you LDC when singing. Hate those pesky clicks coming through the mix!

Back