Portable vocal isolation - NOT a booth

calimoose

I'm working on a DIY solution for my needs (where I'm in a small apartment where acoustic treatment isn't possible and the layout isn't sound-friendly). Basically, it's a way to isolate my condenser mic using panels that I can easily fold and store away for later use (hence NOT a booth, which given my space limitations would not be very possible).

Just curious to see if anyone else has used similar treatment, particularly if they use a condenser on a mic stand.

Here's something very similar to what I'm pursuing: booth-with-lid.jpg

What do you guys think? Creative acoustic treatment in a tiny space? Or useless gimmick?

I believe the biggest issue with something like that pic you posted, is that you have effectively created new issues with close proximity reflective surfaces.

Put your head in a box and speak. The low end sounds 'boomy' and like you are talking into a box. Auralex or any foam only helps with upper frequency ranges.

I do not see how that would work well really. Yeah, you may stop room reflections but at the same time it seems you would be adding worse issues.

Maybe for spoken word stuff that might be a good thing, but if you are belting out some killer rock vocals, not so much.

This is all coming from a guy who has never actually tried something like that. So take it as speculation.

:)

To add, I would think that a breathable box without solid walls, made of rockwool or something similar would do the job much better.

Is that a DIY solution as the OP asked for?

Or a plug for a product?

Hmm..

Calm down, cowboy. :D

I'm not sure how the fold-up box will work. I'm inclined to think the dimensions are too small to worry about low freqs. You might get a boxy sound in the upper mids, but the auralex will probably absorb in that range. Have you actually used it yet? Need a sound clip.

Is that a DIY solution as the OP asked for?
Or a plug for a product?
Hmm..
Jim, my post is an alternative solution based on my own experience and knowledge.

As you well know, I am clearly about DIY, but when it came to this piece of equipment, I did the research and made a purchase as opposed to building something.
In fact, I chatted at some length with Ethan Winer of Real Traps as well as Bob Reardon who was the sE Rep in the U.S. at that time.

A Plug? If you check my posts starting back in 2005, you will see that many of my suggestions will include links to sites for info and where to purchase them including eBay at times and you will find me doing the same on Gearslutz and other forums.

I will say that I've known folks from sE but I can also say with 100% assuredness that I won't see a dime from them nor will I ever receive any "Thank You's" from them and I am also quite certain that I will NOT see anything similar from Sweetwater for sharing what I have here.

To add, I would think that a breathable box without solid walls, made of rockwool or something similar would do the job much better.
I'd think along this way as well. I'm more familiar with fiber glass, not sure you can do this with the rockwool I've seen.. But 2 or 3" of the med. density (check these numbers.. I think it'd be '702?) would be stiff enough just wrapped in cloth to not need a backing at all.
For one, you probably don't need to block the sound coming from the room entirely, (and you won't anyway as long as it's not a 'total seal'.) And skipping the solid sides and top means you're getting the full benefit of the 2 or 3 inches of absorption -way better than 'wedge cut foam BTW. (think about it; the dips' in the cut, = much thinner) and the thing also can't end up resonating like a 'box.
You could probably just loosely attach the sides (tape may be enough) and lay the top piece over. Dissemble and stack'em when your done.
Separate pieces like that you can also set' them as you see fit for various mic situations.. a more open V' shape for more width for example. The edges don't have to be 'snug', even gaps here and there you're still getting the general control the stuff does around a mic.

Last edited:
I know the OP wanted a home built solution but I have to +1 the idea that the sE Reflexion filters are worth the money, particularly the PRO one.

However, if that's not an option I have to agree that putting a box all the way around the mic (and so close to the mic) is not a good idea. If you do go that sort of route, you want most of the deadening behind the mic and either side...but no farther forward than in line with the mic capsule and/or a bit farther away.

The other thing that helps is some deadening material actually behind you. What I have for spoken word is a folding carved wooden screen. When recording, I hang a movers blanket on the back and pull it across behind me. This gives pretty good results even on the spoken word where you want a dead acoustic.

Otherwise, as I've recommended many times, you can make a framework out of cheap PVC pipe and use this to hold a movers blanket or duvet behind you--if you don't glue the joints you can take it apart and keep it in a closet or under the bed when not in use.

Calm down, cowboy. :D

I'm not sure how the fold-up box will work. I'm inclined to think the dimensions are too small to worry about low freqs. You might get a boxy sound in the upper mids, but the auralex will probably absorb in that range. Have you actually used it yet? Need a sound clip.

So far I'm just researching different solutions and costs, so I don't have it built/don't have a sound clip. The picture is something I found on a site (forgot which one) and was curious to see what y'all thought to see if you think they were just BSing on the site.

Jim, my post is an alternative solution based on my own experience and knowledge.

As you well know, I am clearly about DIY, but when it came to this piece of equipment, I did the research and made a purchase as opposed to building something.
In fact, I chatted at some length with Ethan Winer of Real Traps as well as Bob Reardon who was the sE Rep in the U.S. at that time.

A Plug? If you check my posts starting back in 2005, you will see that many of my suggestions will include links to sites for info and where to purchase them including eBay at times and you will find me doing the same on Gearslutz and other forums.

I will say that I've known folks from sE but I can also say with 100% assuredness that I won't see a dime from them nor will I ever receive any "Thank You's" from them and I am also quite certain that I will NOT see anything similar from Sweetwater for sharing what I have here.

Lol no worries, we believe you. As mods/admins, all the links listed in that manner just rings our spam alerts in our heads, regardless of the OP, since often times spam is posted in such a manner. But I think it was honest advice and appreciate the help!

Someone mentioned not using the wedges, as well as not needing the panels to be tightly stapled together. Definitely sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately I'm gonna have to put any DIY project on hold for a month or so.....

Regardless, I appreciate all the valuable advice. I'll keep you posted when I've made any progress. In the meantime, I'm gonna try and record different styles of vocals and music and see if my room really is as acoustically bad as I would imagine that it is.

I've been using one from Sterling, I think it was about $80 at GC and it attaches to the mic stand. Unless you are really good at fabrication, the manufactured ones are probably easier to work with and still give good service.

I've been using one from Sterling, I think it was about $80 at GC and it attaches to the mic stand. Unless you are really good at fabrication, the manufactured ones are probably easier to work with and still give good service.

Ya you're right. I was originally looking into some of those sE options before, but my issue is that something collapsable/foldable would be much more convenient. the search continues

If I were to build something like this today, I would build three 2ft X 2ft/3ft panels using 2" or 4" covered compressed fiberglass (OC703 et al) using as little framing as possible then create a mounting system so each panel could be quickly and easily attached to a microphone stand.

I've also been thinking for years about creating an acoustic panel that incorporates "Limp Mass Material" behind the acoustic material because Limp Mass Material will, generally speaking, stop sound straight away.

They'd be a tad heavy though. :laughings:

!!! Just as important in all of this is having something similar behind the vocalist because that is where the mic capsule diaphragm is pointed!!!

...The other thing that helps is some deadening material actually behind you. What I have for spoken word is a folding carved wooden screen. When recording, I hang a movers blanket on the back and pull it across behind me. This gives pretty good results even on the spoken word where you want a dead acoustic.

Otherwise, as I've recommended many times, you can make a framework out of cheap PVC pipe and use this to hold a movers blanket or duvet behind you--if you don't glue the joints you can take it apart and keep it in a closet or under the bed when not in use.
+1 This is also as good, and just as likely better way to look at the solution- I.e. looing at it as sectioning off around a mic area- and keeping the options and flexibility that opens up.
Hung sections (or the gobos'-fiber panel approach) behind you, and consider above for ceiling bounce. (It can easilly be closer if you're standing with a mic than any wall..
(That should have been including the sides and behind the mic or course..

Last edited:
Does the height of the ceiling affect the reflections? My ceiling is only like 6'7'. Is that too low? I just have to much low end in my voice and I am like 6-7 i away from the dynamic mic.

And do you need absorbants in front and behind the mic? Or you only need one one side?

Wow. Ok.. Let's break it down. :)
Does the height of the ceiling affect the reflections? My ceiling is only like 6'7'. Is that too low?
Too low.. for what, when?
Are you standing? Well yeah. The mic would be what a foot or two at most from a hard surface?
Sitting down? The floor is closer (still, 3-4 feet away maybe, not as bad.) At a desk..? You see where this is going.
And do you need absorbants in front and behind the mic? Or you only need one one side?

I just have to much low end in my voice and I am like 6-7 i away from the dynamic mic.
A cardioid mic is only down a few dB from stuff coming from 90 deg from the side -or above and below. Directly into the back side is attenuated pretty well.. But not so much from all the other back x side angles.
So, sides, to the rear, behind you (as the front is the most sensitive angles naturally), and above / below depending.
With nice sounding and big rooms we have the freedom (well more freedom) to pick out distances for the tone. Otherwise we might be forced to work close (than we'd like) and use low cuts, other eq, or other mic what have you.

Check out this--
http://www.acousticsciences.com/products
http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/quick-sound-field
Very pricy, and again, there's limits. Might still not overcome some of the issues in really small spaces. But they go into some real helpful concepts.

Last edited:
Back