Portable vocal booth

Yo, check this out, guys.

http://www.dawbox.com/DAWBOOTH.htm

Seems quite dope...
You'd be paying $50 basically for what i've just suggested, although it is a step-by-step guide.

But, i think if you hire a joiner, with plans like mine(maybe get someone like Rick Fitz to re-draw it in CAD), then it should maybe take a couple hours to build(maybe another hour to paint, but you could do that), and would be just as good as this, although it wouldn't have a window. A joiner shouldn't take more than 3hours and charge more than 100Euros to build this, imo.

Here's my attempt at a step-by-step guide.

Build the frames as shown in first pic. Cut an MDF sheet in half(4'x4'), glue rubber sheeting to bottom for isolation (although if you have a carpet you may not need the rubber), and place where you want the booth in your room. Screw the frames to the MDF and to each other as shown. Staple fabric where shown(where the rigid fiberglass will go) to hold rigid fiberglass, and install rigid fiberglass where shown. (Cut and) Install MDF sheets, and install the door with rubber seals. Build and install the ventilation and wall box as shown before, add lighting, flooring, and decorate to suit.

Hope this helps, and that it is comprehensible.

Attachments

• booth step by step.GIF
    booth step by step.GIF
    18.9 KB · Views: 634
  • booth step by step 2.GIF
    booth step by step 2.GIF
    18.3 KB · Views: 622
You should need no more than 18-20 8' 2x4s, no more than 20' of door standards (maybe 5or6"x2" timber), 6 sheets of 8'x4' MDF or plyboard, you should need no more than 15m of 2' wide fabric, no more than 10 batts of 4"(20 of 2") rigid fiberglass, a door, two fans, XLR and 1/4" jack chassis, some audio cable, a light, flooring(maybe laminate), underlay, and rubber sheet(may not need). I have a feeling a missed something, but i can't think of it.

pandamonk

Thanks a lot, man!:)

Your so helpful...Have you played on the lottery and won a fortune or something or what's going on?:)

No, but seriously, thanks. The drawings look nice. I couldn't understand exactly everything but most of it, but that's because I'm extraordinarily bad at these sorts of things:)

I will try to contact this Rick Fitz guy who I understand is some kind of legend around here and see if he can help me out.

Thanks, again yo!:)

pandamonk

Thanks a lot, man!:)

Your so helpful...Have you played on the lottery and won a fortune or something or what's going on?:)

No, but seriously, thanks. The drawings look nice. I couldn't understand exactly everything but most of it, but that's because I'm extraordinarily bad at these sorts of things:)

I will try to contact this Rick Fitz guy who I understand is some kind of legend around here and see if he can help me out.

Thanks, again yo!:)
Yeah, i wish, haha. Yeah Rick Fitzpatrick is a LEGEND!!! He's not been around for a while though. Think he's getting close to finishing his studio, so all his time is going into that.

My booth cost $33.00

I built a square PVC pipe box 7' by 4' by 4'. Just tapped the fittings in real tight...no glue . Threw a pad over the top and used spring-clamps to hang thick blankets on the back and sides, a sheet on the front, and a throw rug on the floor. It faces my puter, and I can mouse around the side of the sheet. While standing. Singing or playing guit. Does a real nice job. Took me about four hours from going to Home Depot to recording tracks in it. Will that do? I used 1" ID pipe. You could do better with 1 1/4" or 1.5". If you want the Cadillac version. Might go you $50. Or $55 if you wanna glue 'er up.

I used a cris-cross of house electric wire on the back to keep it rigid. Baddabing.

My booth cost $33.00

I built a square PVC pipe box 7' by 4' by 4'. Just tapped the fittings in real tight...no glue . Threw a pad over the top and used spring-clamps to hang thick blankets on the back and sides, a sheet on the front, and a throw rug on the floor. It faces my puter, and I can mouse around the side of the sheet. While standing. Singing or playing guit. Does a real nice job. Took me about four hours from going to Home Depot to recording tracks in it. Will that do? I used 1" ID pipe. You could do better with 1 1/4" or 1.5". If you want the Cadillac version. Might go you $50. Or $55 if you wanna glue 'er up.

I used a cris-cross of house electric wire on the back to keep it rigid. Baddabing.
Yeh, but it does nothing at all for isolation, which is what was asked for. Also, it'll do a good job absorbing high frequencies, but nothing at low-mid and bass.

pandamonk

sorry to ask another question to an active thread

just a bit puzzeled over the diagram are the layers starting from the inside

fabric-rigid fiberglass-fabric-mdf/plyboard ?

any thickness mdf/plyboard ? or is it the thicker the better.

thanks

pandamonk

sorry to ask another question to an active thread

just a bit puzzeled over the diagram are the layers starting from the inside

fabric-rigid fiberglass-fabric-mdf/plyboard ?

any thickness mdf/plyboard ? or is it the thicker the better.

thanks
fabric-rigid fiberglass-mdf. The fabric is to hold the rigid fiberglass in place and stop the fibers from escaping, and irritating. The MDF does this on the outside.

And yeah, the thicker the better.

i've drawn up a simple booth suitable for drums or vox, if it helps.

Attachments

• 10x10 drum booth_Front_Right_700.gif
    10x10 drum booth_Front_Right_700.gif
    51.3 KB · Views: 311
  • 10x10 drum booth_Top_700.gif
    10x10 drum booth_Top_700.gif
    58 KB · Views: 301
gullfo

Whoa, thanks a lot:)

I'm gonna send a message to Rick Fitzpatrick now and see if he's willing to offer help in some way.

jeffmaher

"Baddabing". Haha:)

Thanks, man but like pandamonk said, I need something which isolates as well. But thanks, though. Your vocal booth seems fresh.

hi gullfo

any chance you could do that picture a bit bigger or put a link to it ?

looks perfect for what i am thinking about building.

thanks

Yeah...sorry...I didn't exactly understand what was mean't by 'isolation'. I wasn't thinking transnission through walls. And I learned that blanketing won't kill bass! I was just trying to kill room sound, and make it easier for my family to deal with me singing at 4am. It cuts a lot of the noise. Isolation!

Mebbe I can hang some of the high-tech sound killer on my cheap frame? At least right now I get no distant reflection. I can EQ-out the close bass...can't get rid of room reflection, though.

Yeah...sorry...I didn't exactly understand what was mean't by 'isolation'. I wasn't thinking transnission through walls. And I learned that blanketing won't kill bass! I was just trying to kill room sound, and make it easier for my family to deal with me singing at 4am. It cuts a lot of the noise. Isolation!

Mebbe I can hang some of the high-tech sound killer on my cheap frame? At least right now I get no distant reflection. I can EQ-out the close bass...can't get rid of room reflection, though.
Hanging blankets will do nothing for isolation. Isolation requires mass and sealing. Best is through a mass-air-mass construction. What you have is for absorption, and it only really absorbs(stops reflections of) mid-high freqs, but the bass is free to reflect and cause problems. What's the high-tech sound killer?

Back