Panel cover materials

The Lotus Kid

I have a few questions about the cover material for acoustic panels. I'll be using Roxul as the absorber behind the material.

Has anyone used felt as the material? It's breathable, but not nearly as loose-weave as burlap.
With burlap's rise to home decorating fame, felt is a lot cheaper. Is felt comparable? I am looking for the cheapest possible effective option, whatever it may be.

Also, I've been told frequencies below 500hz will pass through average window glass and frequencies above will reflect off (roughly). Is this true? And if so, if i were to make a panel out of mineral wool, and cover it with a sheet of glass instead of fabric, would the below 500's pass through into the absorber, and the above 500's reflect off?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I know I'm not answering your direct questions, because I honestly don't know the technical answers.
I based my material selection on the how easily I could blow through the material. The test was, could air pass through relatively easily. The science behind this is weak I'm sure, but it seemed like a good starting point to me.

As for the price of material, I went down to the local fabric store and scoured the discount rack for a half hour. found 75 meters of the right colour and porosity for $40 :guitar:

Sorry I don't have the technical smarts to chime in on the other stuff. Personally, I would avoid any glass or hard type facing, as it is only going to add another surface for high frequency reflections...

Yeah, I don't know why you would make broadband absorbant panels and then make them reflective - self-defeating!

Is felt really that much cheaper than burlap? I haven't priced it, but I've got more traps to build, and the burlap I got (at Walmart - because I was there and didn't want to waste any more time) was about $3 a yard.

Yeah, I don't know why you would make broadband absorbant panels and then make them reflective - self-defeating!

Is felt really that much cheaper than burlap? I haven't priced it, but I've got more traps to build, and the burlap I got (at Walmart - because I was there and didn't want to waste any more time) was about $3 a yard.

It's complicated why i'd want to, but it involves making diffusers that diffuse some frequencies and absorb others, more for tests/mad science than anything.

As for the felt, though, it's also about $3 a yard, but the bolts are 72" wide :thumbs up:

If felt works, I'd try it, trying to figure out, though, how to make the panels without 1x4 frames - how to get the felt to stay secured (to itself) in back? Have to be careful not to compress the rockwool, too, when folding the material over.

I've heard of people using spray-on fabric glue, but also heard that the fumes are pretty bad and it doesn't always adhere very well. Glue-gun, maybe? Harbor Freight has those cheap.

I bought some Guilford of Maine Anchorage that was a factory second, for $2.50 /yard, when buying by the roll. Website here: Magnafabrics

I really like the material and the price is great. The guy was very good to work with in the phone. So far, I really haven't found any irregularities, but at that price, I can cut around.

--
Diff

I bought some Guilford of Maine Anchorage that was a factory second, for $2.50 /yard, when buying by the roll. Website here: Magnafabrics

I really like the material and the price is great. The guy was very good to work with in the phone. So far, I really haven't found any irregularities, but at that price, I can cut around.

--
Diff

Their website doesn't say the $2.50/yd product is 'seconds'. Looks like a nice selection of choices, but no 'greens'!

Still wondering about felt, and also gluing ...

I probably should have said "imperfections." Here's an example of the text that I saw:

"There are some imperfections in the fabric which will not affect the use and wear of this long lasting fabric. Please contact directly for discounts on larger quantities."

Take a look here, near the bottom of the product description:
Acoustic Panel Fabric Henna $2.50 a yard - Acoustic Panel Fabric by Magna Fabrics

The site is not entirely consistent, and you are better off giving them a call so you can hear exactly what is in stock. I would not be surprised if he's got some green somewhere. The guy was really helpful. FWIW, I saw some greens on the site, but they are not GOM.

Hope this is of help to you.

--
Diff

I just noticed that the $2.50/yd pricing (both places) is only if you buy a full roll of the stuff. Guess I'll be heading to 'Jo-Ann Fabrics' at some point.

For me the local area fabric store has just thin cotton sort of similar to bed sheets, for just 2$ a yard. I also get the discounted suede-like and corduroy fabrics there for $3 a yd. I have used all of the above with good results. I would stay away from the felt, too fragile to splitting and probably not the best transparent solution for fabric covering. Besides these other options function and look better.

As for glass in between, it would work, ut no one would use it. Just too heavy and fragile. You can achieve high freq barriers easier and thinner with certain foils, plastics sheets, thin wood sheets, etc.. or just build the panels and add some wood slots in front for scattering. I would;t call a flat barrier int eh middle diffusion, but reelection and scattering, yes. Easier, cheaper, and more practical ways than glass for sure.

Best of luck

Guilford of Maine Anchorage and other panel fabrics

Thanks for the kind words both about me and my fabrics!
This is Larry from Magna Fabrics. Please email or call me with your fabric questions. I really do enjoy the nice calls and emails I have been getting. On the Guilford of Maine Anchorage we do have a very good selection of colors at this time. We have most of the regular colors plus a few special colors. I see here there is a question about greens. We do have the Eucalyptus Green, Green Olive, Sea Green and Neon Green in stock. We also have leaf green in Knoll Textiles Foundation and Herb Green in Knoll Textiles Basket Draft. The Knoll Textiles Basket Draft also has a color called Mineral which does have a green tint to it.
Again, thanks for both the compliments and the calls and emails.

Back