Odd shaped room - Treatment & speaker positioning?

ab5150

Hi guys,

I’ve acquired some Xmas money and wanted to put it towards treating my (bedroom) studio. I am recording, producing and mixing my own demos (I am primarily a songwriter). The music I make is pop rock – think Maroon 5. Most of my production and mixing is at low to moderate volumes – I sit less than a metre away from my 5” direct field speakers and rarely monitor above 80db.

The ceilings are slanted, similar to an attic, and floors are fully carpeted (over timber). Walls are plaster. I am in a 2 storey house on the top floor. I do not own the house, so major construction/physical changes such as building walls etc, is a no no.

The room itself is portioned/split into 2 areas – one area (the larger space) I am using primarily for mixing (occasionally for vocal recording) (photo 6), and the other smaller space for sleeping (photo 14)

The current ‘studio’ portion of the room (the larger space-photo 6) is 4.3m wide x 4.8m long x 2.6m high, with non-parallel/non symmetrical walls for the most part. The ‘bedroom’ portion (photo 14) is 2.4m wide x 3.3m long x 2.5m high, and is more symmetrical than the current ‘studio’ portion of the room, but is a lot smaller. Total length of the room from the rear wall (where the bed is) to the front wall (behind the vocal booth – where the vinyl covers are on the wall above the brown couch) is 8.1m. Long story short, I chose size over symmetry.

I’ve done some research regarding placing bass traps in corners, and treating early reflection points with absorption, however I am still unsure as to the best position/placement for my desk and speakers within this specific room, and how I should be treating it (aside from Corner traps and Early reflection points, which I understand).

Budget – cost IS an issue - depending on recommendations and advice - I am happy to make the panels and traps myself (if I can save some $$), or also happy to buy commercial products if it might be a better choice for this specific situation. Keeping in mind - I live in Sydney, Australia and the freight costs for even just a few Real Traps ‘Minitraps’ is ridiculously expensive.. I am happy to spend what I need to in order to fix the biggest and most important issues (corner bass traps, early reflection points etc) – think somewhere up to $2000. I COULD afford to spend $20,000 but obviously would rather not – this studio is for making my songwriting demos only. What I am looking for is bang for my buck, getting the most important things sorted out. Not absolute acoustic perfection.

A short video tour of the room:

Photos with measurements:
M1-Yes_zpsd4b350e2.png

M2-Yes_zpscc44d0d9.png

M3-Yes_zps9d40e027.png

M4-Yes_zps757f6660.png

M5-Yes_zpsfee46632.png

Extra Photos:
NM1-6-Yes_zpsbf6f7456.png

NM2-7-Yes_zps93a917ff.png

NM3-8-Yes_zpsd2b5ab69.png

NM4-9-Yes_zpsa9182a33.png

NM5-10-Yes_zps0ef1fb04.png

NM6-11-Yes_zps4fdb6478.png

NM7-12-Yes_zps69d29f49.png

NM8-13-Yes_zpsada9d744.png

NM9-14-Yes_zps2ae32460.png

NM10-15-Yes_zps31d59bf7.png

Questions:

1) In terms of current choice of speaker placement/desk setup –I thought that the current setup in the photos of firing the speakers down the ‘bedroom section’ might have been the best option (photos 2&3) – as I get length. Any other ideas?

2) The speakers are each on a pile of books and slightly tilted upwards due to the foam iso pads (photo 13) - Would it be best to move the speakers right to the front of the desk (in front of the computer screen) to avoid any reflections off the desk?

3) You will also see a second set of reference speakers on the left side of the desk (photo 11) – should I move these somewhere else to prevent reflections? And/or remove the left side of the desk entirely? (It is detachable) (fyi please ignore the PC tower on the desk – that is only there temporarily)

4) The only recording I do is with a (single) singer - Regarding my current vocal recording setup – I get the singer facing down the length of the room (Ie facing me while I am sitting at my computer – the same way the speakers are facing, with the vocal booth behind him. Any other better ideas for this setup? (photo 6/13)

5) Assuming the best place for the speakers is where they are currently positioned - Would there be any benefit in placing a diffuser above the bed? (I.e. furthest rear point in the room – where the ‘space’ artwork is positioned in photo 14)

6) To the Australians on the forum – regarding DIY treatment - I’ve realised I can’t get Owens corning 703 or 705 here – so I found 3 other popular options. Any experience with any of these alternatives, and if it matters (in regards to this particular room)?

Acoustisorb 3

Fibretex 350

Polymax-Absorb HD 100mm

Any other hints, tips and advice are welcome,

If I have missed any details or important info, please let me know.

Thank you so much for your time, much appreciated. Aaron

A floor diagram rather than a lot of dimensioned photos would be easier to see stuff. With the L-shaped desk you may be getting more desk reflections on the left side, making for an unsymmetric listening field. With carpet and all the furniture, you're absorbing the high frequency reflections, but not the low end, so you need to make/buy some bass traps for as many corners as you can.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply -

Ive done a very quick sketchup diagram of the room to reference with the photos.

Image is attached, or you can download the sketchup file here:

Download

Hope this helps,

Aaron

Attachments

• My Studio.jpg
    My Studio.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 302
Hello AB5150, and welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of useful information on these pages. Read the "Sticky's" I learned a lot from them.

As for your room, (I'm no expert) but I'd think that placing your desk about 4' or 3.?m from wall facing long ways on the widest end (looks like there is a sofa there) would be optimal in your situation. Put traps in those corners behind the desk, and some broadband absorbers on wall behind the desk.

I can advise you from expierence, treat your room asap. I just recently started treating my room, and it's made a world of differenc. Now that I can hear the differance, I'm wanting to do a bit more! I've been wasting my time for a few years by putting it off and spending my money on flashing gadgets,mikes, software, upgrading my interface and buying new guitars. All that stuff is nice, but if the room doesn't sound good your just spinning your wheels.

Get your self a couple books on the subject too. All the info may not pertain to you, and a lot went right over my head, but it is good to know.

Hi, thanks for your reply :)

Very useful info.

Just to be clear, were you referring to the yellow or the brown couch?

Cheers

The brown couch. Bass traps in all corners you can do, and a ceiling cloud trap (at least 2" thick OX703 or Roxul), too.

Back