Newbie Needs Help Treating Space

seanwilliamruss

Hello all! New here. I have a small space that I would like to treat for mainly recording vocals and acoustic guitar. It is horrible acoustic wise due to wood floors, a narrow space, etc. I use an MBOX Pro, macbook, Blue Bluebird mic that i got a killer deal on. Open to suggestions on other gear too (like whether i need a separate vocal preamp before the mbox). I am willing to spend up to $500. What do you recommend?

I have seen things like this: Primacoustic FlexiBooth Instant Vocal Booth, Beige
Vocal Booth Noise Reflection Echo Eliminator Stand In | eBay

For samples of what I do, I have an acoustic project where I also played bass and programmed world music-sounding drums: seanwilliamrussell.bandcamp.com
I play in a jazzy rock trio. We track drums in other locations and record bass and guitar and vocals through my setup. soundcloud.com/AndTheSkyStoodStill

*Most of the vocals on these were recorded elsewhere.

IMG_20141029_240425_723.jpgIMG_20141029_240425_723.jpgIMG_20141029_240340_929.jpgH]

Last edited:
A diagram with dimensions would help us advise. The basic advise is to build/buy some bass traps for all corners.

^^^^^What he said^^^^

Wood floor is not a reason to call it "horrible acoustic wise". Wood floor is what you want. Pro studios have wood floors. What's more important is the dimensions, like MJB said. Without even needing to know the dimensions (though it would help), you're going to need bass traps in the corners for starters. That's always the case.

Diagram and More Questions

Thanks. So do you think I need 3 bass traps? What about foam on the walls? Are shields worth it or overrated?Diagram for Recording.png

WOuld like to put it where red arrow is. More open to putting stuff on the walls in that corner. Could also put it to right of window at top (on 10 ft side) and face out since there is no wall for a while. In that case do I just do 3 bass traps, foam on wall behind, face mic out, maybe a shield?

See below - this is how I would do it, the red shapes are floor-to-ceiling bass traps.

Forget foam. Try recording the with the mic about 18" out from one of the bass traps, face towards the bass trap so any first reflections are gettng absorbed by the trap. See how that sounds.

plan.jpg

Thanks!

Thank you so much! ANy brand recommendation? WOuld I basically need to stack something licke this?

And at that point, would the sound of the room / echo be gone or just reduced?

You can buy or build your own bass traps, just search around her a bit there are multiple threads on it, you can find youtubes on how to build them.
Bass traps (which are broadband absorbers, not just bass) will help any room, no way to know if they solve all your aocutsic problems, as every room is unique.

You'll definitely also want to do treatment on the sidewalls. But foam will only dampen high frequencies, and not address other issues in the room. You might want to consider a panel on a stand, or freestanding panel, to cover the open way into the kitchen while you're working so the left and right isn't extremely different in the early reflection window. You can use the following as a guide for general placements: Acoustical Room Advice - GIK Acoustics
Also it's hard to tell whether moving your set up will help much. It may, since it will even out the left and right side a bit, but may not. I'd definitely try a few different positions. You can keep the following article in mind to get a solid base to start from, and treat from there: Basics of Room Setup -

Back