Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Studio size is 15 square meter What is the ideal range of Speaker wattage to use?

Dimetre is offline Newbie

My Studio size is 15 square meter What is the ideal range of Speaker wattage to use?

Sign in to disable this ad
    just wanna know if theres any difference using a higher wattage of speaker in a 15 square meter studio? Thanks!!!

knightfly is offline GrouchyOldFartOnBatteries
    Higher than what?
    Hey, I thought this was gonna be EASY!??!

RICK FITZPATRICK is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Higher than what?

No steve, its "higher than watt"
    fitZ
    alright breaks over, back on your heads!

Dimetre is offline Newbie

Talking Since my place is isolated

Since my place is isolated and that a certain range of 80W would be so much noise in a 15sq.m. isolated room. I just wanna know if it would not hurt my ear and what speaker range should i buy ideal for a 15 sq. m. room so I would not have to buy a more expensive speaker since i could only use limited range for my studio.

Use a smaller wattage amp. The speaker doesn't know it. Or just turn down what you have.

fitZ

knightfly is offline GrouchyOldFartOnBatteries
    Dimetre, aside from my smart-ass comment (which was mostly because you didnt' give enough information for a real answer) let's start over -

There is a lot more to speaker choice than the size of the room, which you give as 15 square meters - to start with, all acoustic spaces are THREE dimensional, not two. If your ceiling is only two meters high, that's one volume of air - if, however, your ceilings are 4 meters high, that's TWICE the volume of air. That's one variable to consider.

Secondly, you can't measure a speaker's sound level by only looking at the wattage they require (or the wattage they can tolerate before melting) - The defining term for the actual amount of sound pressure a speaker can put out also involves a thing called "sensitivity" - This is rated in decibels @ 1 watt input @ 1 meter distance, and is normally measured in an anechoic chamber (simulating the effect of having the speaker outside, with none of the sound coming back once it passes the test microphone)

Some speakers are so damped by the attempt at getting linear response that they have a considerably lower "sensitivity" than other speakers, which may have been designed more for maximum sound level per watt applied.

For example, I had some "hifi" speakers that were rated at only 85 dB/1 watt/1 meter, and still have a set of PA speakers that are rated at 103 dB/1 watt/1 meter. Both speakers are 8 ohm impedance, yet when hooked up to the same amplifier, if I connected the 85 dB speakers to the amp and turned it down til I just stopped being able to hear it, then changed to the 103 dB speakers, the sound was at a solid listening level.

If you are using active speakers, and they are too loud, you simply reduce the level of signal you're sending to them - that's what output faders/volume controls are for.

If you're using passive speakers with separate amplifiers, again just turn down the volume til it's where you want it.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is to buy too small an amplifier for their speakers, thinking they are "saving the speakers" - this actually INCREASES the chance of speaker damage, because a smaller amp has to work harder to put out the same volume. IF this is taken too far, the amplifier "clips", or distorts, and whenever the output is clipped it's putting out a constant DC level of current into the speaker. This can overheat the voice coil of the speaker, which isn't designed to tolerate DC. What the speaker wants to see is AC, within the audio passband. Anything else can cause damage under high enough power conditions.

Bottom line: In order to correctly answer your question, we would need to know what speakers you actually have (or are considering), what your ceiling height is, what sound pressure level you intend to listen at (85 dB "C" weighted is typical for SANE people) , what your budget is (if you've not already bought the speakers) , what type of music you're into (just another bit of info, some types of music might require more headroom)

So, if you can fill in the rest of the information we'll try to help figure this out with you... Steve
    Hey, I thought this was gonna be EASY!??!

I thought you were saying 80 watt speakers were too loud for your environment and room. I don't care what size or wattage speakers you have, which wattage has nothing to do with your volume if it is TOO LOUD its too loud, the only way to reduce the volume is turn it down, or use a smaller wattage amp. IF, on the other hand, you are asking if there is a smaller wattage speaker that will put out the volume you require, which sounds like you want some level lower than what a set of 80watt speakers are capable of(OUCH) then you must tell us what level you monitor at. Its kind of like saying, I have a Chevy truck with a 350 horse power engine, but I want to drive slower, so is there an engine capable of letting me drive slow. HUH? Hence the reply. The question is not telling us what you want to know. At least me. As far as your question is concerned, Steve pretty much sums it up. There are many speakers that will put out less volume, but why buy new speakers to do less. Just turn it down. Unless I'm missing something here, but I don't know what it would be

fitZ

frederic is offline Opinionated Old Fart
    I always "overdo" the sizing of the amplifiers simply because more powerful amps don't have to work that hard to produce a lower output, so as Steve said you don't get any clipping.

High frequencies don't need a whole lot of power to be loud, because the speaker cones (usually domes) in tweeters are small and there isn't a lot of mass to move.

Woofers are different because the voice coils and speaker cones actually have some serious mass to them, which is what helps them move at lower frequencies as well as "move air".

Venture into a techno, house, dance type nightclub and often you can feel your internal organs sloshing with the beat. This is because the club has 1000W amps feeding their 18" subs

In a recording studio, loud is not the most important charactoristic of your monitoring system, but rather accuracy... meaning the speakers are faithfully reproducing what you've recorded as exactly as they can.

A hard limiter is a good tool, because its silent and "uninvolved" until something goes wrong, then it vastly compresses the signal to the amp to avoid clipping and overdriving it. Also, fuse your monitors. The monitors I use have a seperate fuse for each driver, at different ratings for each driver. Just in case the crossovers decide to short.

And Rick, there is nothing wrong with a 350 for casual driving - I'm just about the bolt the heads on a 502cid stroker ford engine for my truck. Then, I'll be welding to the exhaust manifolds so I can attach two turbos. The truck is my daily driver and I mostly drive this crew cab unloaded, so this is gross overkill. But the one day when I attach the trailer or load up the bed with patio bricks, its nice to hit a hill and not notice it, other than the coffee sloshes to the backside of the cup

heh-heh

I just wanna know if would not hurt my ear and what speaker range should i buy ideal for a 15 sq. m. room so I would not have to buy a more expensive

OK, I give, what the hell is he asking. To me, it sounds as if his existing 80 watt speaker is too loud for the size of his room and he don't want to buy another set of speakers just to turn the volume down. Now what the fuck is wrong with this scenario. DUH! You guys seem to be reading something that is either not there are I'm fucking blind.

I just wanna know if would not hurt my ear and what speaker range should i buy ideal for a 15 sq. m. room so I would not have to buy a more expensive

OK, I give, what the hell is he asking. To me, it sounds as if his existing 80 watt speaker is too loud for the size of his room and he don't want to buy another set of speakers just to turn the volume down. Now what the fuck is wrong with this scenario. DUH! You guys seem to be reading something that is either not there are I'm fucking blind. All I've tried to do here is tell him common sense. If its TOO LOUD, what part of "TURN IT DOWN" is wrong here? Man, this is unfucking believeable. It sounds as if someone doesn't understand the meaning of "volume control".

And frederic, you seemed to miss my point here. I don't care if someone wants to drive a vehicle with 1500 hp at 10mph, IF they ask me if another engine will allow them to drive SLOWER, well shit, I'll certainly be the last one to tell them NO. Of course its OK to drive slower with the existing engine. WHAT I'm trying to tell him, is WHY buy another engine to drive slower, when all you have to do is take your damn foot off the gas pedal. What the fuck gives here guys?

I think there is a clarification of the question needed here or I'm moving on.....

fitZ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information