My home studio is finally complete!

Wow, your studio looks super cool!

I like your amp collection.

Thanks man, much appreciated. I bought the Fender and the Marshall thinking that I would sell the Mesa and Traynor. But...you know...now I want them all :D

Very well done.

Now you just need a nice Indian rug in the center of wood floor for the final touch. :)

Thanks! And my sentiments exactly! I'm currently shopping for a rug. It'll help tame the high end reflectivity of all of these hard surfaces.

No lava lamp? What is the world coming too?

Nice digs. Too bad there isn't enough room to separate a tracking room from mixing room. Looks like with a couple of adjustments the room would have a good sound for tracking. But a good tracking room is not a good mixing room.

Still pretty nice.

Thanks man, I told my wife that the missing ingredient was a lava lamp. She groaned. Which made me want one even more :)

I definitely didn't have enough room to make separate tracking and control rooms. I'm content with a multi-purpose room. I know that it'll never be perfect, but as a hobbyist I'm just elated to have this space to hang out and make noise in.

I definitely didn't have enough room to make separate tracking and control rooms. I'm content with a multi-purpose room. I know that it'll never be perfect, but as a hobbyist I'm just elated to have this space to hang out and make noise in.

Jealous people have to throw rocks at something. You know the type :D

I've been content with a multi-purpose room from the start. The times when separation would have been beneficial have been few.

Jealous people have to throw rocks at something. You know the type :D

No worries man. I know how it goes...I spent a solid 6 months lusting after RecordingMaster's build thread. It's time to get started on yours!

Congrats, man! It looks really cool. Can't wait for the upgraded picture with the lava lamp :D

Thanks man...you know the lava lamp shot is coming :)

I've been content with a multi-purpose room from the start. The times when separation would have been beneficial have been few.

Honestly I'm not sure what I'd do with a split room as just one measly hobbyist. Now in my next studio when we inevadably move, maybe :D

Mate, that's a top job. I am jealous. I would love something like that. Very few houses in the UK (aside from ones owned by proper rich people) have space to spare on a project like this unfortunately so I'll just have to be content with one of my living rooms and arrange/buy furniture and rugs accordingly (The mrs will never know the real purpose!).

You got room in there for a drum kit too? Or are you processing your drums?

Why not skip over the lava lamp and go straight for the Mathmos Space Projector?

Beautiful room. That would be a dream-come-true for me too, but I do have a decent sized dedicated room that I am quite lucky to have!

How did you do the measurements to decide on the acoustical treatment - bass traps location, size, etc?

Gary

Mate, that's a top job. I am jealous. I would love something like that. Very few houses in the UK (aside from ones owned by proper rich people) have space to spare on a project like this unfortunately so I'll just have to be content with one of my living rooms and arrange/buy furniture and rugs accordingly (The mrs will never know the real purpose!).

You got room in there for a drum kit too? Or are you processing your drums?

Why not skip over the lava lamp and go straight for the Mathmos Space Projector?

Thanks! Yeah we're lucky to be in the suburb-like part of KC where everybody has some elbow room. Finishing this basement basically doubled the living area of our home.

After these pics were taken, I moved in my little Yamaha e-kit and that's what I'm using for drums. It's nothing fancy but I like it quite a bit. And I still have enough room left over to be able to comfortably set up for recording guitars, vocals, etc in the middle of the room.

Very nice, I too am jealous, you are living a reality that only few us can dream of . . . congrats

Thanks! It still seems like a dream to me. I've been getting lots of use out of it!

Beautiful room. That would be a dream-come-true for me too, but I do have a decent sized dedicated room that I am quite lucky to have!

How did you do the measurements to decide on the acoustical treatment - bass traps location, size, etc?

Gary

I filled out a form on GIKAcoustics.com and that put me in contact with one of their acousticians. We chatted through email and a few phone calls to get a good starting set of treatment. I'm about to give the guy another call and see what all I can add to tame the reflections and ring in the room considering my limited remaining wall space. Those guys have been great to deal with, and the panels look very sharp as well.

Congratulations! It looks very nice and functional.

Thanks! So far it has worked out very well. I'm sure that I'll have it overstuffed and messy in no time :)

Wow, great work! Makes my home studio in my apartment look like garbage. Hahaha.

I completely understand the necessity of having a multi-purpose room (i.e., for both tracking & mixing), but it's gonna create some issues with acoustic treatment.

For example, I recently entered into a partnership with a small studio up in Evanston, Illinois (just north of me in Chicago) called The Cave Recording. It's a room built & owned by an engineer named Robert Marshall, who recorded & produced my old band's first record about a dozen years ago. We decided to team up because he doesn't use the studio nearly as much as he'd like and I need a good room to produce & record upcoming artists from the Midwest region. We also have a fairly interesting, new business model but that's another story.

Point is, both the control room & the live room are fairly small but were designed by a very talented acoustic engineer so they sound great. Even still, the control room is way too live; based on the sonic tests we did last week, we're planning on covering nearly all of the wall surfaces in the control room with 1" Roxul Rockboard 60 (2'x1', wrapped in fabric, of course). Literally 95% of the room will be covered. That's how much deadening we think we need in order to produce accurate mixes that will translate well across many different systems.

If I were you, I would look into making yer own baffles like we are (using 1" Rockboard 60 wrapped in fabric) and then mount them using some medium-strength adhesive velcro strips (or if you wanna get really fancy, you could make simple wood frames for the baffles and use interlocking heavy-duty picture frame hangers to mount them such that they're easily removable, or you could just use heavy-duty velcro too); that way you can take them off the walls when tracking live and re-hang them when mixing. Then you've got the best of both worlds in a single, well-designed & beautifully crafted room.

Hope that helps!

It really is beautiful. Inspires me to rip out my carpeting and put in laminate. It's the only thing missing in my studio. Seeing your floor, and that rack lighting, makes me jealous. It's beautiful.

Wow, great work! Makes my home studio in my apartment look like garbage. Hahaha.

I completely understand the necessity of having a multi-purpose room (i.e., for both tracking & mixing), but it's gonna create some issues with acoustic treatment.

For example, I recently entered into a partnership with a small studio up in Evanston, Illinois (just north of me in Chicago) called The Cave Recording. It's a room built & owned by an engineer named Robert Marshall, who recorded & produced my old band's first record about a dozen years ago. We decided to team up because he doesn't use the studio nearly as much as he'd like and I need a good room to produce & record upcoming artists from the Midwest region. We also have a fairly interesting, new business model but that's another story.

Point is, both the control room & the live room are fairly small but were designed by a very talented acoustic engineer so they sound great. Even still, the control room is way too live; based on the sonic tests we did last week, we're planning on covering nearly all of the wall surfaces in the control room with 1" Roxul Rockboard 60 (2'x1', wrapped in fabric, of course). Literally 95% of the room will be covered. That's how much deadening we think we need in order to produce accurate mixes that will translate well across many different systems.

If I were you, I would look into making yer own baffles like we are (using 1" Rockboard 60 wrapped in fabric) and then mount them using some medium-strength adhesive velcro strips (or if you wanna get really fancy, you could make simple wood frames for the baffles and use interlocking heavy-duty picture frame hangers to mount them such that they're easily removable, or you could just use heavy-duty velcro too); that way you can take them off the walls when tracking live and re-hang them when mixing. Then you've got the best of both worlds in a single, well-designed & beautifully crafted room.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the suggestions man, I'm definitely looking for ways to dampen the room for vocal and acoustic guitar recording.

Before the drywall was on the walls in this room, it was 4 walls and a ceiling of exposed Roxul with a concrete floor. It was so dead that it was uncomfortable to be in the room. I can't imagine trying to mix in a room with 95% of its surface area convered in damping material. Be careful not to over-dampen or else you'll overcompensate with reverb while mixing.

Well done. What a great space to record in.

Thanks dude, much appreciated!

It really is beautiful. Inspires me to rip out my carpeting and put in laminate. It's the only thing missing in my studio. Seeing your floor, and that rack lighting, makes me jealous. It's beautiful.

Thanks so much Rami, I appreciate the compliments. I got kinda teary the day that I first saw it with the floor and lights, it was like one of those Extreme Makeover tear-jerker episodes. It was such a long time coming.

I love the look of the laminate, and the Pergo stuff is a great balance of cost/quality. It has the cushion/padding already on the back, so it'd be relatively easy to DIY. My only real complaint is that it's a little static-y. Our house is very dry this time of year, so the whole place is a big electro-static extravaganza. And the laminate is no exception. I just get used to grounding myself to something safe before touching anything connected to my interface. I blew an HDMI input on my home theater receiver this past fall when I forgot to ground before connecting a device to it.

Back