Highways are LOUD!

TheLurker

So, yes. I live right next to a highway... and I mean like RIGHT next to it. It's just a four-lane highway but recording in my trailer is very difficult... I'm on a budget but I don't want to pick up car rumble/noise in my recordings at home... Any "cheap" or even better yet, free, ways I could attempt to resolve this? Thanks for any help fellas!

TheLurker

Well, since it's a trailer, you could hitch it up and move!
Seriously, soundproofing is not going to be an option with the limited space (room within a room design). 'Rumble' can be effectively hidden with a low cut (hi-pass) filter - whether it is on the mic itself or done in software, but makes it difficult to record kick drum or bass - using a DI bass, and if you do need a kick, you could use a trigger to control a VSTi drum hit.

Lol! Not sure how my wife would react coming home seeing me borrowing the local redneck's monster truck, hitching the trailer up to move to a quieter location hahaha.

Thanks for the tips!

Any suggestions for a good DI box? I like to do things via USB digital conversion when possible - any good DI boxes that fit that basic requirement from your experience?

DI works for guitar and keys, etc. You can use midi'd drums with a keyboard or e-kit and drum trigger software. But vocals are tough. Might have to go outside the box for that.

Soundproofing comes in lots of forms. If you can dig up some evergreens somewhere and plant them in two rows between you and the highway, that will eliminate much of the road noise (no, not all of it), but it might become tolerable and it would be free except for time and gas...building rubber filled bi-wall concrete perimeter fence is probably out of your budget :D

Most audio interfaces work as DI boxes for recording guitar or bass - what equipment do you have?
I have an M-Audio Fast Track Pro which I have actually never used before. I have heard mixed reviews about it, but I plan on giving it a shot.

Back