Glass Vocal booth

freddyboat

am on a tight budget tryna build a glass vocal booth in my home stud4x6-red-gold-vocal-booth.jpg...as that booth but in a glass mode..what do you suggest best for me?can i attach acoustic foam to the glass?how...

Glass and foam are very expensive. Also not the best products to use.

Start reading the stickies and conversations in this forum dood. :)

It would be just as effective (and a lot cheaper) to hang some heavy blankets in your bathroom.

Please share links on these glass booths - I've never seen one and can't imagine why anyone would build/use one.

The glass mode is kinda cheap here so i think i don't any other options now...will the foam fit the glass
You do have another option. Don't build a booth. They're almost always useless. Glass sounds like an even more horrible idea, and foam just completes the trifecta of horrible. All the foam in the world won't help you. Foam is almost totally useless for acoustic treatment. You're going to regret wasting your money.

Why do you think you need a booth? The smaller the room, the worse the sound, generally speaking. As mentioned above, you'd be much better off just singing in your bigger room. Real recording studios that have booths use booths that are probably bigger than your main room. A telephone-booth sized booth is worthless. A closet is just as useless.

You do have a choice. It's called not using a booth.

Maybe its new to you but in my country,the engineers don't even have a pro studio...they are all like a home studio...though the glass booth is not common as the normal ones,through my experience as an artiste i have come across some glass vocal booths

the engineers don't even have a pro studio...they are all like a home studio...
It's the same in every country. More and more people record in their homes, like pretty much everyone on this site.

We're just trying to help you, man. If you waste your money on a booth, I guarantee that you'll realize you made a mistake one day, when you learn a little more about recording, instead of just doing something without even knowing why you're doing it.

I'm telling you, you don't want a booth. It's a mistake.

You do have another option. Don't build a booth. They're almost always useless.

You do have a choice. It's called not using a booth.

DITTO...

I'm telling you, you don't want a booth. It's a mistake.

..and DITTO! :)

About the only use for a booth would be if you were recording an entire band, all playing in the same room, at the same time, and you needed to record keeper vocals at that same time too....then, you stick the vocalist in another room or a booth.

Otherwise....just focus on improving the overall sound of your entire recording space. That's where you should put that money....and then stick the mic in a spot about 3/4 at one end of the space, centered in it, and sing facing the long end. You get a nice "real" sound instead of that "vocals in a box" sound that you then later have to treat to give them some life.

Small booths always sound, well, small and boxy. They also get very smelly and sweaty.

The picture you linked to looks amazing - but glass is very heavy, very tricky to work with, and then if you cover it with foam, a bit pointless.

The one you showed us looks to me like a pretty normal vocal booth with a glass window - very similar to the Esmono booths.

50-mm-946x340.png

I work in our local community radio station. In the station there is a recording both in which they do voice-overs for advertisements and so on.

That booth was constructed to be an effective acoustic recording space, and is not something that was done on a 'tight budget'. 'Good acoustics' and 'tight buget' are not usually happy partners.

save your money and record in the biggest room you have. Use the savings to put in bass traps.

I've heard y'all...i wanna use it for commercials too not just myself...i already have a setup without a booth but when other upcoming artiste comes to the stud they just think am joking because i have no booth and when i put the photo of my setup online for guys interested, they all ask where is your booth...as for the glass thing i wanna put the booth in a corner so i already have two walls covered all i just need to do is cover the other two with a wood and a glass window as you suggested...about the boxy tone in a small booth,our best engineer in the country for about 3yrs now and some top engineers here record in a booth half to the booth i put up here...he uses presonus audiobox with two preamps below $100,behringer c-3 below $100 and a krk monitors but still get great quality...

OK, this is my last word on it. I don't want to dwell on it and I think we've put our point across. But this........
when other upcoming artiste comes to the stud they just think am joking because i have no booth and when i put the photo of my setup online for guys interested, they all ask where is your booth...
.....is an absolutely horrible reason to do something that's not going to help your sound, and only hurt it. But whatever you decide to do, good luck.

...,our best engineer in the country for about 3yrs now and some top engineers here record in a booth half to the booth i put up here...he uses presonus audiobox with two preamps below $100,behringer c-3 below $100 and a krk monitors but still get great quality...

I'm curious, what country is that...where are you located?
Who is that best engineer?

AFA the booth...hey, if people need to see a booth for you to get work...then put in the booth... :thumbs up:
...but anyone that tells you you can't record quality stuff without a booth, doesn't know what they are talking about.

There are specific uses and times when you have to use one, but you can do a lot of recording without ever needing one.
The "booths" you see in some of the high-end studios are big enough to park a car in :D and they are more what you would call "isolation rooms" than booths.
Anyway....more bigger/open spaces are always going to sound better...IF they are acoustically good.
If you have lousy sounding rooms, then sometimes using a booth is a way around that.

Oh...do those same people ask you what kind of DAW you have and what brand of plug-ins you use...? ;)

And RAMI is giving it to you honest and straight. Go to the MP3 Clinic and check out his voclas on the song he posted.
THey sound great...no booth

AFA the booth...hey, if people need to see a booth for you to get work...then put in the booth... :thumbs up:
...but anyone that tells you you can't record quality stuff without a booth, doesn't know what they are talking about.
That's a much better way of putting it than I did. I shouldn't have said "that's a horrible reason to build a booth", because it's probably the ONLY reason to build a booth, so I was way off. :D

Hey, if it works for Freddyboat, that's great. The most important thing is to find what works for you.

I've heard y'all...i wanna use it for commercials too not just myself...i already have a setup without a booth but when other upcoming artiste comes to the stud they just think am joking because i have no booth

Show them this booth:

chemical-portable-toilet.png

I know what you mean, I often do meditation recordings, my studio is very very quiet but sometimes a little noise filters in when the whispering meditation voice is happening (gain on the input is so high you would not believe it), and I have been thinking of a sound proof booth for this but the budget for the amount of work does no compute. I always record vocals in the large studio room.

Alan.

That's a great solution....just add some foam. :)
You'll never have to stop recording just 'cuz the singer needs to pee.

You guys have some nice porta-pottys down under. That looks high-tech and almost comfy to the ones I see around here.
And any problems call Kenny:

Back