Found this Insulation on eBay...any good?

I think that's the stuff I used on my door unit. It'll do. Whether that's actually a good price or not I have no idea.

It's thermal insulation - spun fiberglass. Not what you want for broadband absorbers at all. Look for rockwool - OC 703 or 705 or Roxul AFB.

OP - The Roxul for as good as it works is not a bad price at retail. You can get a lot of mileage out of it. The OC stuff I have not used, but from all of the comments on here and the web, seems to work really well.

If you run down to the local big box hardware store, get some 2X4's, screws and something to cover it with, one Saturday and you have a pretty good start for room treatment with just one pack (It has 8 sheets/8 possible sound modules).

Cool, thanks everyone...after pricing Roxul, I think I am going to go that route. I can get the 8 packs shipped for free to the Lowe's near me.

Cool, thanks everyone...after pricing Roxul, I think I am going to go that route. I can get the 8 packs shipped for free to the Lowe's near me.

One quick FYI, measure the width of the Roxul sheets before building the frame. I used 2' X 4' as my frame and that was a little wide :o

One quick FYI, measure the width of the Roxul sheets before building the frame. I used 2' X 4' as my frame and that was a little wide :o

Good call. I have never built any before (obviously), but my plan was to wait until it arrived and frame it out based on the exact sheet dimensions.

Yeah, the Roxul is 23"x47".

OC *is* fiberglass. What he's looking at is basically foil-backed 703.

My mistake, I never heard of anyone calling 703 "spun fiberglass". For bass traps, foil/kraft paper backing will reflect high frequencies, so if you want want JUST bass absorbed, I guess that would be the stuff to get.

Back