Thread: DIY Acoustic Panel Question

McShredsAlot is offline New Member
    Thanks

DIY Acoustic Panel Question

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys. I've been looking up a bunch about making your own panels and stuff. From what I've read, a lot of people use about 2" of rock wool in theirs.

Basically I'm going be moving to Hollywood in Septemer to go to the Musicians Institute. And I'm going to be doing ALOT of recording in my apartment.

I'm wanting to have a decently deadened room, that's also a good room to mix in. I know I'll need bass traps and stuff but let's take this one step at a time.

Lets say instead of the rock wool I used this

Bonded Logic Inc, UltraSonic 12 in. x 12 in. Acoustic Panels (Package of 6), 60600-11212 at The Home Depot - Mobile

If you don't wanna click the link, its 12"x12"x1" recycled cotton textiles. My main reason for wanting these is that it comes with 6 panels. What if I used each panel to make its own acoustic panel. And then set them up on wall like the "5" side of a dice, if that makes sense?

Also, I know they would be a little thin so what could I also put In the panels so its not just a 1 inch thick textile?

I know its probably be better to buy a different material but I'm needing to have as much money as possible when I know so I'm trying to get the best that I can for the least amount of money. Thanks for any tips guys. I'm gunna keep searching through the studio forum for more ideas.

-Joey

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Thanks
    Do more research man. The fact that DIY rockwool traps are so cheap and more effective anyway (well, relative to other foam types), I am not sure why you would wish to cut corners, when the goal is to stop cutting corners. Or rather to treat them.

You do not want a 'deadened room'. You want a room that has some level of control of bass frequencies, and diminishing of direct reflections from your listening position. 1" rockwool will likely do nothing, in regards to your main issue (bass frequencies).

I am not familiar with the product you are speaking of, and any of my research has not included any of this. But, I will bet that you will be obtaining nothing more than control of high end frequencies. This is needed to a degree, but 2" of rockwool is typically recommended for first reflections. A lesser absorption material at half the thickness seems a bad idea to me. 4" is still cutting corners, when straddling corners for bass trapping.

BTW, at $5 per square foot, you are looking at 3 times the price per square foot of absorption, than I paid for twice the thickness of rockwool from SPI. I think you need to look into sources in your area for rockwool.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

McShredsAlot is offline New Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Do more research man. The fact that DIY rockwool traps are so cheap and more effective anyway (well, relative to other foam types), I am not sure why you would wish to cut corners, when the goal is to stop cutting corners. Or rather to treat them.

You do not want a 'deadened room'. You want a room that has some level of control of bass frequencies, and diminishing of direct reflections from your listening position. 1" rockwool will likely do nothing, in regards to your main issue (bass frequencies).

I am not familiar with the product you are speaking of, and any of my research has not included any of this. But, I will bet that you will be obtaining nothing more than control of high end frequencies. This is needed to a degree, but 2" of rockwool is typically recommended for first reflections. A lesser absorption material at half the thickness seems a bad idea to me. 4" is still cutting corners, when straddling corners for bass trapping.

BTW, at $5 per square foot, you are looking at 3 times the price per square foot of absorption, than I paid for twice the thickness of rockwool from SPI. I think you need to look into sources in your area for rockwool.
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I should have made it clear that I will be tracking and recording in the same room. I must have been looking at the wrong sites though cause I found 6 panels of rock wool that are 48"x24"x2" for $60. I really have no idea what to do with treatment. It seems pretty self explanatory but its just something I've never attempted before.

mjbphotos is offline What?!?
    Thanks
    Those panels from HD here's what the mfr says on thier web site without giving any real details or graphs: Absorbs 85% of sonic energy, improving sound quality and cancelling echo/reverberation throughout the space. For $30 a package, sounds like a waste of money.

Manslick is offline Road
    Thanks
    Can you list the room dimensions; Width, Length and Ceiling height as well as type of construction, vaulted ceilings, splayed walls etc?
    The 48"x24"x2" for $60 appear to be what I bought from ATS (?) acoustics. I built 2' x 4' x 4" panels and they really deaden the space, maybe too much as Jimmy alluded to. These are known as broad band absorbers and don’t affect frequencies below 200Hz. For that you need bass traps.
    There is a phenomenon known as diffraction that actually makes the panels function as though they are larger than their actual size. I say this because you may not need as much as you think, depending on the room dimensions.
    I’d advise to start small and work up.

pawma is offline New Member
    Thanks
    60kg/m3 dense mineral wool slabs offer best sound absorption properties. There are several products available on the market - Rockwool RW3 and Knauf RS60 are the ones I use most often.

mjbphotos is offline What?!?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pawma View Post
    60kg/m3 dense mineral wool slabs offer best sound absorption properties. There are several products available on the market - Rockwool RW3 and Knauf RS60 are the ones I use most often.
    Stop resurrecting old threads with the same information!

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site pawma.

I do also find it odd that you are looking to build your acoustic space, yet keep giving advice for room treatment that is not typical. And one post that was completely out of context. I can understand if you are just trying to get your foot into the community, but it seems you are going about it the wrong way.

Best to you and your quest. Unless you are about to unleash a spam fest....

Jimmy
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

hannanahmad is offline New Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for this advice. I was also suffering fromm the same sort of issues.

Thread Information