Desk suggestions

mjbphotos

So real soon I'll be building a new desk in my recording/mixing/everything room. It'll be 8 feet long to provide extra surface room to one end, as well as more storage below and above on that end.

1) Computer keyboard. Current desk is low, 30", so the keyboard is at perfect typing height - note that 90% of the time I'm using the keyboard and/or mouse, so the little time i need some more 'front' room I can just move the keyboard out of the way. So I guess it doesn't make sense to make the desk higher with a keyboard drawer, which would make me either move the computer monitor further towards the front (to see it without leaning in/squinting), or make the desk less deep. Any other suggestions on this? A higher top would give some more storage room underneath.

2) Legs/feet. Looked at all the designs and ideas of others here and elsewhere. The 'Z' leg design is nice to add some knee room, but I don't like the extended 'foot' necessary for stability. My portable keyboard stand is Z-style and I am always stubbing my toes on the feet. Other than straight legs or fixed shelf system, are there any other solutions? At 30" (up to 36" deep), I don't think wall brackets will make a stable enough support. I'll be using 3/4" plywood for the top, so don't even think a center support (in the 4' center area) would be enough so that the unsupported end(s) would be stable.

So with some more thought, the desk will be 30" deep x 96" wide. Off-center I will use a 24"D x 12"W double shelf, open both sides, as the center support. Looks like best stability will be to put a leg on each of the 4 corners. Didn't really want a leg on the outer (left side) corner that can be hooked by passing feet (or to stub toes on), but if I round off that corner with a 6" radius, the leg would be set back enough that it shouldn't be so much an issue.

Hey Mike, I always find that if I do little sketches it helps me maybe see possible problems, AND it'll be much easier for us to see what's in your mind? :p

+ I'm a nosey old git!:D

Hey Mike, I always find that if I do little sketches it helps me maybe see possible problems, AND it'll be much easier for us to see what's in your mind? :p

+ I'm a nosey old git!:D

I'll draw it out when I get everything worked out. Right now I'm doing it all in my head, but measuring various things to see "if they'll fit".

If you don't want the leg, make a 45 from the floor at the wall to the desk front. A right triangle should give plenty of support if you anchor to the deskbottom (is that a word? you can't attach to the desktop) and a leg that's at the wall like a bookshelf. You would have to attach to the wall for stability. My brother used two legs on the back and chains from the ceiling to do away with those cumbersome, tripping hazards. Just some ideas.

I went with a two rack design on casters to support the desk. Plenty of storage space and an excellent way to hide the patchbay too.

Nov 21th 2013 028.JPG

01 MyStudio Nov2nd.jpg

Its 73 1/2" wide x 41 1/2" deep including end caps and the armrest.
Hidden behind the right rack door is a 1/4" 96 point patch bay and an available 8RU for additional outboard gear.

Last edited:
nice desk, I like the layout. How do you like the DP?

Thanks, I wanted to try to set up everything within easy reach, to not lose creative flow while writing tunes.
I like the DP24, it sounds good, easy to get around, the "Mastering" section is really cool too.
It only has two effect sends, which sux, but for basic demos its a pretty nice rig.

Always loved the San Dimas with the dbl locking FR and locking nut. Great stay in tune guitar for whammy abuse! :D
You pretty much have all SDs, no Desolation, no LSX...nice lot though. I was looking at a baby blue DS-1 LP copy, but couldn't scrape the $$$.

Oops, sorry. Is that a Desolation FR on the left there? Hard to tell the SD's from Des double cuts.

Last edited:
Always loved the San Dimas with the dbl locking FR and locking nut. Great stay in tune guitar for whammy abuse! :D
You pretty much have all SDs, no Desolation, no LSX...nice lot though. I was looking at a baby blue DS-1 LP copy, but couldn't scrape the $$$.

Oops, sorry. Is that a Desolation FR on the left there? Hard to tell the SD's from Des double cuts.

Haven't had a chance to check out the Desolation or LSX series Charvels.

The Charvels I mostly own are from 1987-1988 made in Japan. They were made at the factory "Gakki" and were really great quality guitars.

The guitars were known as the "Model" series. They were known as Model 1, or 2 or 3..... all the way to a Telecaster looking Model 7 and the rare Model 88 mahogany bodied beast ; all had "pointy" headstocks, some reversed, real "metal" axes.

Every once in a while they can be found in pawn shops, local music stores, Craigs List & on ebay at fair prices.

The "Gakki" factory built some really nice Charvel guitars up until about 2010/2011. Their last guitars were called "Pro-Mods" and are excellent quality, some guys feel they actually play better than some of the American versions. I have a 2010 "Gakki" San Dimas Pro-Mod and it is pretty outrageous. If another one shows up and I have the cash handy, I'd grab it in a minute.

If you see an old "Model" series Charvel, give it a try, you might like it too. :guitar:

Nice looking desk, but I'd be banging my knees into those pedestals constantly!

I hear you.

Right now the rack doors are setback 6" from the armrest edge and the racks are actually 34" deep.
I've been thinking of cutting 4" from the rack depths to 30" and still keep stability. This would also give the rack doors a 10" set-back and provide more leg room, when sitting kinda "belly up" to the armrest.

Another option could be to make the racks 1/2 the width and mount a hidden patch pay vertically. That would also give a sturdy desk design, while providing great storage for mics, cables & stuff too.

Good luck with your build. :cool:

Guitarist I played with in Denver bought his new in 85 or 86. Was an amazing guitar. Played through a Carvin 100W tube amp right alongside our other guitarist's LP & Marshall stack. Great combination of guitar sounds for the prog metal we were playing.

Back