Design Review

Michael Jones

New studio lay-out.
Please comment and review.
It is 30'x40' over all.

If I use "staggered stud" construction (2"x4" on a 6" base plate) on the exterior walls, and 2"x4" studs with reselient channel on the interior, what kind of STC rating can I expect?

If I have "staggered stud" construction on exterior walls, is that enough separation, or do I still need a wall inside of that?

When you look at the attached plan, notice the wall legend in the upper left corner.

Thanks!

Attachments

• studio-model.jpg
    studio-model.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 221
looks good Michael - but? what are those side speakers set for??? for 5:1 surround they should be behind you at 110 degrees from the center speaker

cheers
John

TexRoadkill said:
Looks like a great floor plan. Did you find a building or decide to go for it at home?
Well, the plan could be adopted for either, but I have planned to build it on my property.

Right now, I'm working out a floor plan; then I'll do some elevations of the building, some detailed sections, have an architect friend of mine review it for spacial relations. Then I'll work up a cost estimate, and take that and my completed business plan to a lender. If the financing doesn't work out there, then I may look into drawing on the sizable equity I have in my home.

Lots of steps to go through, and they all have to work out just right.

So... my fingers are crossed, but it all depends on how the numbers crunch.

John Sayers said:
looks good Michael - but? what are those side speakers set for??? for 5:1 surround they should be behind you at 110 degrees from the center speaker

cheers
John
You know, I thought that looked funny. It is for 5.1, but obviously my angle is off. (ooops!) I had them 110 deg. off a center-line axis.

What about the wall question? Any ideas there?

UPDATE

OK, I made some changes, and updated the previous files.
Additional thoughts welcome.
Here's the revised drawing:

Attachments

• studio-model1.jpg
    studio-model1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 301
So what's the school of thought on using staggered stud construction for exterior walls.

In doing so, would I still need an additional wall on the inside of that?
I'm fairly sure I can avoid any penetrations of the wall by light switches, and power outlets.
(The power outlets would be set in the slab)

HA!
I feel like I'm talking to myself here.:p

Just thought I'd toss up an interior design motif.

Attachments

• absorber1-model.jpg
    absorber1-model.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 82
Motif materials?

Hi Michael, what is the materials in this elevation. Looks like plant on wood column dividers, and maybe absorber box's with fabric? I saw a neat extrusion for streching fabric on walls. I'll get the link and post it. About the ceiling, how are you going to span the room with the acordian ceiling. I didn't see any thing but the line of the ceiling. Is this a section of the room? Looks great. Nice "motif"! Keep it coming. Also, are you floating this ceiling in between walls, or resting the ceiling structure on the walls? I like to see other peoples ideas and how they implement them. Have you done any details, or sections through the whole building yet? I am interested to see how other people treat the voids between adjacent isolation walls at the door junctures. I've never delt with that in actuall detailing. I have no idea what the norm is here. I know the walls physicaly are not supposed to touch, but what are you going to do there?
fitz

Here's a section with a little more detail, and a different panel motif. I want the interior to have a subtle "1920's Art Deco" feel to it, so I'm playing around with different interior designs.

Structurally, the challenge is spanning 30' on this building, and I don't want to have any interior colums. So I'm thinking the ceiling will need to be done using wooden "I" beams or ceiling trusses to span that distance. I know using standard "joists" isn't going to cut it, so this section has a little more detail.

Attachments

• wall-model.jpg
    wall-model.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Wow, too cool!

Hi michael, thats great, the diffusers...I should have been more cognizant. Of course. Thats brilliant. Are those primitave root, or? Looks like you've got the cieling structure togeather. Details are the key to everything, so when you start building, there are no unexpected problems. Detail every single connection, thats what I do for a living in an architectural mill. Its the little things that count. The big ones will take care of them self. A fourty foot beam is still the same in section all the way through. Its the connections that are important. All of them. Anyway, looks great, and if there is anything I can do to help let me know. By the way, I have an old book with every concievable wood structure and all the calculations for spans etc. Let me know if you need load calcs' and I'll look them up. Are you applying for permits. They usually want these as part of the submital. But good luck with this. I bet your just "beaming" with delight!! And art deco? I love it, I have a small fabrication shop that I build "art deco" things all the time. Little boxs, furniture, store fixtures etc. Even have built a couple of resturaunts with art deco themes. Its one of my passions!! But thats another story. Oh, BTW, the plan view didn't come up when I clicked on it. Maybe its ME. Usually is(lol)
fitz:D

Wow, too cool!

Hi michael, thats great, the diffusers...I should have been more cognizant. Of course. Thats brilliant. Are those primitave root, or? Looks like you've got the cieling structure togeather. Details are the key to everything, so when you start building, there are no unexpected problems. Detail every single connection, thats what I do for a living in an architectural mill. Its the little things that count. The big ones will take care of them self. A fourty foot beam is still the same in section all the way through. Its the connections that are important. All of them. Anyway, looks great, and if there is anything I can do to help let me know. By the way, I have an old book with every concievable wood structure and all the calculations for spans etc. Let me know if you need load calcs' and I'll look them up. Are you applying for permits. They usually want these as part of the submital. But good luck with this. I bet your just "beaming" with delight!! And art deco? I love it, I have a small fabrication shop that I build "art deco" things all the time. Little boxs, furniture, store fixtures etc. Even have built a couple of resturaunts with art deco themes. Its one of my passions!! But thats another story. Oh, BTW, the plan view didn't come up when I clicked on it. Maybe its ME. Usually is(lol)
fitz:D

oops!

See, its ME, I don't know what I did to post that twice? Anyway, are you going to do a reflected cieling plan? Is the cieling in that type of configuration in the studio only? What about the control room. A reflected cieling plan will show you problem connections between walls and cieling, air returns and supplys, lighting electrical etc. Nice drawing. I like that. Looks like you have the right stuff! What about your hvac. Mind sharing your thoughts on that. That seems to be one of the "biggies". And your door, window details. Anything you want to share here will be greeted with anticipation I'm sure, cause this is the "real stuff" your dealing with here, and I'm sure you know as well as I do, PLANNING is the name of the game. At least in my book. I spent a month planning my console. Its pretty neat. 10' welded steel frame, wrist pad, angled hinged hood on the front with interlocks, laminate covered panels, removable black mdf rack and deck panels, colored and laminated plex lighting strips above where meters are usually, removable and movable welded steel rack mounts, a belly cabinet with 32 1U rackspaces, stainless steel 3 x 6 angled legs which are really cable troughs that die into the floor(no lateral floor legs) which in turn die into underfloor cable troughs(not used right now), and the endcaps are made of 10 hardwoods in a graphic pattern. Took 2 months to build and I'm continuously modifying it to fit my needs. Right now I am having a machine shop machining some heavy duty brackets to match up the connection point on the console for some WAY COOL, special aluminm arm/brackets my best friend gave me from a surgery room at a hospital he works at. They are for various control surfaces, such as a 428, midiizer,remotes etc. Kind of like BRC brackets for adats. Anyway, enough of that. Keep up the planning, and the posts! And BTW, thanks for the gracious help!
fitz:)

Michael Jones said:
If I use "staggered stud" construction (2"x4" on a 6" base plate) on the exterior walls, and 2"x4" studs with reselient channel on the interior, what kind of STC rating can I expect?

If I have "staggered stud" construction on exterior walls, is that enough separation, or do I still need a wall inside of that?

Hi michael, Hey, I'm no expert at this, so just a comment/question on this. IF the exterial wall is staggered, then that means you are planning on sheithing the interior face of that wall, correct. Or why would there be staggered studs, right. I would say, that in order to determine if you need another perimeter around the studio itself, then it seems that you have to determine first- the level of sound you are trying to keep from transferring from outside in, and vice versa. 80db outside? 115 db inside? See what I mean. Which is greater? And how much tolerance for peaks will you allow? Now, I know that the best way to build a control room/studio Isolation is 2 rooms within a shell.Or more. But in this case, maybe only the control room has to be the only room within a room. The studio is the shell, if the isolation you need, is enough by the external walls. that means only the control room would have its own walls. I would stagger them. However, this all is determined by the isolation requirments of the soundfields that exist, and that are going to be generated within. And your budget, time etc. etc. etc. These are just my own thoughts and I am speaking from exactly NO EXPERIENCE. So like I said, I'm no expert, and maybe I'm just "spittin in the wind"! And BTW, let me quote something I read in Everest's book yesterday that has me baffeled, as it contradicts many assumptions I have read here, regarding this very subject and modes. Bear with me.
quote- "The Outer Shell of the Control Room-
The size, shape, and proportions of the MASSIVE outer shell of the control room, determines the number of modal frequencies and their specific distribution as discussed
in chapter 6. There are 2 schools of thought-one preferres splaying of walls to"break up" modal patterns, and the other preferres the rectangular shape. Only a modest deviation from a rectangular shape towards a trapezoidal shape is feasable. Such a shape does not get rid of modal patterns, it just distors them into an unpredictable form. Others feel that symmetry for both low frequency and high frequency sound better fits th demands of stereo.
To contain the low-frequency sound energy associated with control room activities, thick walls, possibly 12" thick concrete, are required." unquote
Well that is a mouthfull! And really brings up some questions in my mind. I will post those directly to the forum.
fitz :confused:

I'm not sure I know what a reflected ceiling plan is?? Sounds like a good idea though. PLANNING!!
The celing will be that way in every room EXCEPT the control room. I'll do something different in there because I need to hang a video projector from the ceiling in order to do video post production. I'll have a screen that pulls down from above the control room window. It should work out well because I won't be doing session and post at the same time!

For the control room, I was thinking more along the lines of a stacked, or layered ceiling ( something in keeping with the "Art Deco" Motif)

HVAC I was planning on putting in the "attic" or plenum space above the kitchen area. I could break the ceiling "I" beams at the kitchen walls to provide some isolation from the units. And maybe have the unit or the "I" beams rest on neoprene dampeners. The compressor will of course be out-side the building, probably behind it.

It's great that you are an "Art Deco" afficianato! You can give me some pointers in that regard! I have a web-site that I had made for marketing, and it has an Art Deco theme, so thats kinda why I want to be in keeping with Art Deco... plus I love the look!!
www.custom-music.net

P.S. You have to scroll down in the wall plan view to see it.

cool!

IF the exterial wall is staggered, then that means you are planning on sheithing the interior face of that wall, correct.
Correct.

then it seems that you have to determine first- the level of sound you are trying to keep from transferring from outside in, and vice versa. 80db outside? 115 db inside? See what I mean. Which is greater?
I do see what you mean, yes. But how do you measure that? I tried to measure the outside once. It's really big! My tape measure was too small!

Obviously the consideration here is cost. But it would seem that staggered stud construction would provide a great deal of isolation on its own.

What about staggered studs, with sheathing on both sides, then fur strips on the inside with resilent channel on that, and drywall on that? Better? Or not?

So many thing to work out yet....:(

Back