Cost Estimate

Michael Jones

Attached is an Excel file of the cost estimate for my studio.
If anyone would like to go through it, and see if I have left out any "Big Ticket" items, I'd appreciate it.
I plan on sub-contracting the foundation, and the Electrical connection. The electric rough in and the carpentry, framing, etc. I'll do myself.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• cost-estimate.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 40
Michael,

I don't see any major holes--you haven't listed things like conduit, receptacles, boxes, switches, and RC channel; but this stuff should all fit in your "slush fund" at the end there.

I would doulbe check your HVAC number--maybe get a quote if you haven't already done so. If systems are really that affordable where you're located then there's another strike against building stuff in So-Cal.

The other is your acoustical treatments--depending on what you're going to use these can get very expensive for a facility of your size. Owens-Corning 703 boards are not cheap. I didn't have a chance to review all the drawings in your linked post so this maybe off base but still something to think about.

Will you be doing the roof yourself? If not, probably need to bump up the estimate here as well.

Lastly, are you going to be installing fancy patchbays, pre-routed cabling, and termination plates for getting all your mics and instruments back to the control room? I have no clue what this could all cost but others around here probably do (Frederic?).

Kudos for planning it all out though; as opposed to stumbling along and eliciting ever-more arched eyebrows from your wife as the expenses roll through ;) .

Alex

Thanks for looking it over Alex.
On the HVAC, I plan to do the duct work, and then have the system (compressor, blower, dryer, etc.) installed. As such, the $3000 estimate and 15% contingency should be OK. (I hope!)

For the roofing, I'm going to have the trusses pre-made, and have a sub do the roof. (Typical composite shingle.)
I am planning on using this roof truss system:
scissor_truss.gif

A "Scissor" truss, just to aid in ceiling height.

I have a separate "fund" I'll draw from for new equip, cabeling, wall plates, basically anything studio related as opposed to "building" related.
I may have to draw on it too for some of the acoustic treatments.

Geez, it adds up fast!

Couple of points

Good job, I presume you have put costed in at least 20% of extra building material for "waste"? If not - you'd better.

I agree with Alex - your estimate is very light on the electrical side. One thing you will need to do is assess the quality of your power supply, in order to ascertain if you will need condittioning or not. In addition - costs of running power to the building.

I know your costs are really for building only, but no estimate is included for things like plumbing (kitchen - bathroom) and such, which can be a considerable lump of money. (water heater etc? - unless that's included in the 'mechanical'?).

Costs for connecting the building to sewerage and water?

The roof trusses - consider the possibility of having A-symetrical trusses, which would greatly enhance your acoustic design possibilities.

sjoko- thanks for looking it over.
How do you go about assesing the quality of your power?
I'm sure there's some fluctuation in the power supply, there is in all power supplies. What is an acceptable tolerence for that fluctuation?
+- 1%?
+-5%?
I am planning on comming off the existing meter/supply at the house, which is around 50' away; max. And it all has to be underground.

Asymetrical trusses are a great idea. I wonder if you can have those made pre-fab? Sounds expensive.

For the Kitchen, I was planning on having just a sink and refregerator, some counter space. Something for coffee in the morning and ummm.... cold drinks at night.;) No real need for hot water, so no hot water heater.
The bath will be just a commode and sink.

I think I will add a separate catagory for plumbing to the estimate, although I expect it to be minimal, due to the close proximity of existing utilities. But nothing else in the estimate really addresses it.

Oh, and I used 15% for material overage not 20%. Again, I'm hoping that will cover it.

I was hoping I could do this for $32,000 - $35,000 and as you can see, I'm right there at the lower end of that budget now.
I can't really cut costs anywhere. Damn. I hate to have to increase the budget..... well, it is what it is I guess.

My numbers are "hard", no "soft" costs in there anywhere except for the 15% contingency at the end. And that's getting nibbled away quickly.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Unfortunately these things always end up costing more than you anticipate.

If you have not thought off, or tried this as yet, find someone who is a contractor with accounts / trade discounts at your local timber yard / materials supplier, and see if you can buy through them. If you don't know anyone, one of your subcontractors might be able to help.

There are plenty of musicians who are "in the trade". See if you can get some help free, in return for some recording time.

Power - perhaps forget that for now, I'm just really anal and a firm believer in power conditioning (which makes a vast difference to AUDIO QUALITY). Measure your voltage, any flux or to high voltage is normally an indication of dirty power. When you pull cable (through PVC duct) for power always completely over spec the cable gauge.

Plumbing etc. Don't forget all that stuff has to be in before you poor the footings.

Have you done any costings for interior treatment?

Trusses are easy to make, your local merchants will stock Samson ties, you just need to ensure your bracing is properly calculated.

And so I could carry on forever.............. :)

Back