Analog VU meters: any aftemarket units I can put in line? How hard to build?

Thaddeus

Hi,

I have a bunch of analog stuff in my rack that I fool around with my signal, before going in to the Steinberg USB interface.

I'm fond of analog gauges as a rule, they tell me trending and state in ways blinky lights don't.

Is there anything (cheap) I can pop inline that will give me a read on what's happening? How hard would it be to build something?

Thanks in advance.

Thaddeus

Nah. I'm an old guy too...but I've rarely been as happy as the day I used my last VU meter! Work of the devil!

Give me some form of PPM (needle or LED) any day--but I need to know the details of the ballistics, attack and release.

If you want to build your own, you might have a look at THIS. (I've not built it so can't comment on how good it is.)

You could look for used Logitek or Coleman units...

I don't think it's about not using them -- I think it was the word "cheap" that made it a ghost-town.

That said -- i know people who bought ART Pro VLA compressors just for the VU's... But you lose the calibration, etc.

(EDIT) Whoops -- SM Pro Audio VU800 8-channel Passive Analog VU Meter Bridge w/ Headphone Output

Looks interesting... And cheap... No fine calibration that I can see, but 8 points with throughputs for $300...?

Even in a dBu world, I'm far more worried about peaks than what a VU shows.

When I moved to the UK in 1976 I first encountered the BBC/EBU style PPM with simple numbers and a needle. I came to love it!

Having just mentioned the PPMs I like I recalled that the brand we used in our project was SIFAM and a did a search. They DO exist and they have a US distributor listed. WEBSITE HERE.

I don't what their prices will be like nowadays but I'm pretty sure they will fail the "cheap" test though.

How many channels are you looking for? I still like analog VU meters along with, "blinky lights." :)

You can build very simple VU meter drivers around a cheap op amp such as the TL084 series that will give you 4 channels per chip.

But I agree with whoever said "VU and dBFS are at odds"? I have never understood for instance how the meters on the Akai EIE work? If you are tracking at -18 to -20dBFS, as you should be, they will barely be moving.

VUs are handy for lining up tape machines (best with a +20dB gain swich) but Digital has moved on IMHO.

Dave.

I like my Dorrough. You can change the ballistics. I have mine set up for peak hold and persistence.

Almost forgot... there's also a bit newer rack-mount model, Tascam MU-40

mu-40.jpg

Yes, very pretty but just reading the sensitivity choices for the MB-20 causes me to ask again. "How exactly would you integrate one into a dBFS system?"

Dave.

My mixer has 4 inputs, so 4 would be cool, and 2 outputs, so 2 would be great. I'm easy.

Everything is analog until it leaves the hardware rack for the Steinberg USB interface, so there has to be some value.

Mainly it's cool because it's cool. Art can't just be about what's practical. Fun should infuse every step of the way.

I found a cheap VU meter kit from China on fleabay but it needs a 9V AC power source for the board, I am dubious about that. Can't find 9V AC. I asked the vendor thinking there might be a language barrier thing happening but they assured me (I think) that it's 9V AC that's needed.

I might start looking for the TEAC. :D

My mixer has 4 inputs, so 4 would be cool, and 2 outputs, so 2 would be great. I'm easy.

Everything is analog until it leaves the hardware rack for the Steinberg USB interface, so there has to be some value.

Mainly it's cool because it's cool. Art can't just be about what's practical. Fun should infuse every step of the way.

I found a cheap VU meter kit from China on fleabay but it needs a 9V AC power source for the board, I am dubious about that. Can't find 9V AC. I asked the vendor thinking there might be a language barrier thing happening but they assured me (I think) that it's 9V AC that's needed.

I agree this hobby should be fun but if you don't keep proper levels you will have none!
By all means have the meters for the craic but FCS know what they are telling you.

Lots of "Chinese" VU meter kits about! Do you have a schematic you could post? 9V ac would yield about 12-14V rectified or 9-10V regulated. The circuit might develop two supply rails from the AC so must have a map to advise you!
It is more than likely you could use two 9V batteries, PP3s and a switch.

Dave.

I have a few things in the studio that use 9VAC, I have bought power supplies from Altronic over here, but a good electrical spares place should have them.

Alan.

I am going down a slightly different road.

I picked up a Tascam 122 on eBay for a song. Analog pro level tape deck, XLR inputs, VU meters.

I'll tap it in to the signal chain right before it goes digital in the Steinberg... not in the chain, but more like a sniffer on a network.

And maybe I'll even make some tapes. You just never know.

Like I said, it's all about the fun!

Back