please review this song

Nicole_Rose

Great White North Girl
it's been a couple of years since i recorded it, so i've got my own critique about it, but i'm interested in hearing what others would have to say about it. Be honest.

Baby I Saw You

i'm glad i didn't have to alter the lyrics for the male singer. :)

The main intro lick and melody line sound a lot like an old song called "I Will Follow Him". The original might be hard to find but you can hear it on Whoopie Goldberg's Movie "Sister Act".

Besides that it's a good song, but a bit repetitive melody wise.

The recording/mix is good, and singer has good voice also.

:) :) :D :D

Nicole_Rose said:
it's been a couple of years since i recorded it, so i've got my own critique about it, but i'm interested in hearing what others would have to say about it. Be honest.

Baby I Saw You

i'm glad i didn't have to alter the lyrics for the male singer. :)

I got a blue chicklet too - but it might be because Nicole_Rose has no rep power yet. I think if you have no rep power you give a blue chicklet - for good or bad rep - no impact either way. Nicole_Rose - please sign your rep - makes it easier to determine who's sending it.

ido1957

thanks for the comments folks. i appreciate them.

i added to rep, i didn't remove any. but sorry if my adding to it lowered your rep.

ido1957 said:
The main intro lick and melody line sound a lot like an old song called "I Will Follow Him". The original might be hard to find but you can hear it on Whoopie Goldberg's Movie "Sister Act".

Besides that it's a good song, but a bit repetitive melody wise.

The recording/mix is good, and singer has good voice also.

:) :) :D :D

i wasn't aware that there was anything out there like it. i'll have to have a listen and see how close it is.
and you're right. the melody is simple, a bit catchy but simple and repetitive.

luckicharm said:
i love the music to that song!
it seems like his voice is a little overpowering, and it could use a little more depth.

yeah his vocals are a bit much i agree.

i'm glad you liked it :)

thanks

TelePaul said:
awesome electric man!! maybe bring it down a bit or bring up the rhythm. great tone!

thanks. that's what i play. i was playing a crappy guitar with a dead feel to it but something nice came out anyway. :)

and yeah, the rhythm needs to come up a little and the lead down a little. (along with the lead vocals.)

i'm glad you liked it.

thanks

Nicole_Rose - I'm getting an error when I try to access either one of the links in your signature. This is what the error says:

Blocked! Apparently wrong ID ! Please go back to www.soundclick.com

I can get to your page ok through Soundclick search for Nicole Rose though....not sure the problem....just thought you might want to check it...

ido1957 said:
Nicole_Rose - I'm getting an error when I try to access either one of the links in your signature. This is what the error says:

Blocked! Apparently wrong ID ! Please go back to www.soundclick.com

I can get to your page ok through Soundclick search for Nicole Rose though....not sure the problem....just thought you might want to check it...

thanks for the heads up. i thought it would work but i never checked it. i checked it this time though so now it should work. let me know if it doesn't lol.

and thanks for the positive rep by the way :)

The song itself was just fine, but the singer just completely butchered it. He sounds like a cheesy lounge singer covering Ozzy-era Black Sabbath. The guitar had a fabulous tone, and the playing was excellent--maybe a little too excellent, as it seemed a little busy during the verses. Perhaps you were afraid of being drowned out by that horrible, horrible singer?

With a different singer, one who's heard of the word subtlety, and with the lead guitar toned down a bit during the verses (or even laying out altogether--perhaps you could threaten to hit the new singer with it if he started to sing like the last one?) and then coming in strong on the choruses and maybe a solo or two, this would be one hell of a track.

Arrowhen said:
The song itself was just fine, but the singer just completely butchered it. He sounds like a cheesy lounge singer covering Ozzy-era Black Sabbath. The guitar had a fabulous tone, and the playing was excellent--maybe a little too excellent, as it seemed a little busy during the verses. Perhaps you were afraid of being drowned out by that horrible, horrible singer?

With a different singer, one who's heard of the word subtlety, and with the lead guitar toned down a bit during the verses (or even laying out altogether--perhaps you could threaten to hit the new singer with it if he started to sing like the last one?) and then coming in strong on the choruses and maybe a solo or two, this would be one hell of a track.

well i don't think he did a bad job, and butchered would be a very strong word i think. He did as i asked and did it fairly well. it was a bit rushed and therefore he's not always true, but even after two years i can still listen to it without hearing too much that bothers me.

as far as the guitar. yeah, i can agree that it's too busy. i had a habit of never shutting up lol. but it was partly because it's a guitar song really.

i would like to redo this song with a female singer. i think it would shine more with a woman singing it. changes the perspective back to the perspective of the writer, me.

despite everyone's concerns about the singer - i think the bare boned foundations of the song are good

i think perhaps it needs more sections to it though - but i also like songs that jam along and build-up on the same progression

Back