Ok what is your favorite solo in a song - any era....

Randy Rhoads' solos for Ozzy Osbourne's "Mr. Crowley"

Indeed a great work. Rhoads was commercialized and a bit of a noodler, but he had heart and he had a great feel for musical flow. His solos as well as his guitar work was done with great emotion and flair.
Beyond that, Crowley was a great all around effort.

Lucky Man (no one said it had to be a guitar solo...)
Riders on the Storm

OK guitar solos:

Naked Eye, Young Vic version this isn't a video solo starts at about 5'00"

Music for me is often a language all of it's own and much has been written about how songs can convey all kinds of moods, emotions and feelings. I sometimes find this in specific instrument parts within songs.
As far as solos go, whatever the intent of the soloists, in the two following examples, I find myself creasing up with laughter whenever I hear them because to me, they are just so funny.
In this first one, "Looking at you" humour was possibly the furthest thing from the MC5's minds in this song about young lusty inadequacy, but the first of three wicked guitar solos has long made me laugh. I still think the first 27 notes of the first of the three solos {not sure if it was played by Sonic Smith or Wayne Kramer} are hilarious before it breaks into some hot squealing fizznaciousness.
Talk about keeping it simple ! It's a great song to boot.

My kids and I keep the laughs rolling in this one, "Love lost", by the Irish folk rock group Tir Na Nog. In the first of the three songs on this clip {on the LP it segues into "Most magical" anyway, but I couldn't find just a single clip}, the tune bombs along in Eastern mystical style, pregnant with tension and otherworldliness and then as it builds to it's climax, in comes this acoustic guitar solo {not sure if it was played by Leo O'Kelly or Sonny Condell} that's supposed to be the apex of all this mystery and..........the soloist just twangs a few notes and answers them with the same notes and changes a note here and there. But after all that pent up chugging, that solo is, at least for me, simply hilarious. It's like he put so much into the rest of the song that by the solo, he just ran out of ideas so he just flew with it !
Hilarious.
Thing is, I really like both solos on the two songs featured and they really add to each song.

Hard to say the ONE... there is several... let's enlist some...

Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
Pink Floyd - Another brick on the wall
Manhattan Transfer - Twilight zone
Gino Vanelli - Nightwalker (to whose never heard the album with the same name is AWESOME)
Daryl Hall & John Oates - Kiss on my list (by the end of the song)
Santana - The game of love

Here is one of my favorite solos/outros of all times, watch last 80-90 seconds. It is really full of feeling and emotions and a great ending to this song that ties up the melody and the story in the lyrics.

Gyllene tider den öde stranden (watch on youtube)

Back