Legal question for a qualified publishing attorney.

I recently had an issue with YouTube over something similar. I posted a video that I shot called, "A Day and Night in Harbin," that was all original video that I shot, with a music track that I had licensed. Some broadcast company in India filed an objection to it because, apparently, they have some program that airs there called something very similar. I advised YouTube that I owned all rights in my video and had rights by license to the soundtrack. I told them I'd like very much to know the name of the company in India that was interfering with my rights, as I had some things I'd like to discuss with their general counsel. Amazingly enough, the Indian company's claim was dropped within the week.

I've had a few Youtube copyright notices issued on videos I've posted; videos with original video and original music.

I've challenged these, and in all cases, the notices have been withdrawn.

In one case there was an asserted similarity between what I'd posted and a video that was actually uploaded later.

I suspect that many of these notices are being generated through some automated system, and are not being checked for validity.

I've had a few Youtube copyright notices issued on videos I've posted; videos with original video and original music.

I've challenged these, and in all cases, the notices have been withdrawn.

In one case there was an asserted similarity between what I'd posted and a video that was actually uploaded later.

I suspect that many of these notices are being generated through some automated system, and are not being checked for validity.
The ones from the American rights administration entities are, I'm pretty sure, automatically generated. I've had a couple of those involving music I had licensed. The Indian one, though, I'm almost certain wasn't. Someone made a mistake, one that I would have pursued had I been monetizing views on YouTube.

Slander of title is actionable in American courts.

Back