How do professional songwriters translate their written vocals to the clients?

steffeeH

This is what I've done so far:
- I've written lyrics that I'm happy with (text + notes for each word + characteristics for the lines).
- I've layed out the melody as a fake piano ontop of the instrumental track.
- I've analyzed what's the most practically useful method of recording, to minimize the amount of vocal tracks to be working with.

However, I'm still very unsure how to make the singer understand my vision of the vocals, or translate my idea to her.
Of course the singer will have her own personal touch to the vocals, but I want to make clear what my vision is so she understands how I more or less hear the characteristics of the vocals in my head.

And one thing I started to think of recently, is that professional songwriters who write songs for artists must be experts on this task.
So how do they do it?

Note that the singer lives far away from me, I can probably only have contact with her through Skype (perhaps it's possible to make a trip to her, if we plan it right, but unlikely).

Thanks.

Sounds like you are on the right track. It would obviously be best to sit down with the artist in person, but you gotta do what you are able to. Skype works too.

I did vocals over the net for someone once. After several failed attempts I said, just sing the thing. He complied and it was easy then. So yeah, like jimmy said, get together.

- I've written lyrics that I'm happy with (text + notes for each word + characteristics for the lines).
- I've layed out the melody as a fake piano ontop of the instrumental track.

Give her this and let her try it. From there, you can give her feedback to move in a different direction. Don't expect her to nail your expectations in the first take.

Seems to me like you've got a good plan.

Sing it and then talk to what you've done at specific times... ie. "from 2:00 top 2.:15 I'm trying to get the listener to really feel the pain of stepping on a garden fork* and having the prongs shoot deep into his or her foot" etc. :thumbs up:

*may not relate to actual song content.... but consider it. Cut me in for royalties... :eek:

Send her a recording of you singing it the way you want it. You don't have to be a great singer to get your idea across.

I read somewhere that "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" wasn't intended to be a duet, but Tom Petty as the songwriter and producer started singing it to show Stevie Nicks what he wanted, and they were rolling tape, and the rest is, well...

So watch out for your song becoming a duet. :o

J

Yes, sing it. then let the singer make it 'her own'.

This is a suggestion I like. While you wrote it, the singer has to own it. That is what could make it become a great song. Most of your well known singers have sang songs and making them great(er) by adding their personalities to it.

If you are just going to be a song writer, while guiding is good, let your singer contribute a bit and don't hold on too tight.

"Of course the singer will have her own personal touch to the vocals, but I want to make clear what my vision is so she understands how I more or less hear the characteristics of the vocals in my head."
You see, you agree with Mike and David, even before their advice. Sing her the song, let her sing it back and go from there.

I use "session singers" on any songs I plan to submit to publishers. I provide them audio of the song with me singing, audio of the song without me singing (so they can practise without my voice being a distraction), a lyric sheet with footnotes to identify any words/lines that I feel need a given level of emotion, etc. and a chord chart (for those singers that can play an instrument).

I am not a strong singer (which is why I pay other people) - but I can sing well enough to help the singer understand the basic melody and phrasing.

I them let the singer interpret the song how they feel it. On occasion, I have to veto some phrasing or melody changes the singer hears, but the majority of the time, I'm pleasantly surprised by the interpretation various singers bring to my songs.

Bottom line - learn to sing well enough to at least present the basic melody and phrasing (you don't have to be a great singer, just good enough to get your point across.

I would think one must also take into consideration what type of singer you're working with, is the background of the singer one of doing pretty much strictly covers, or has the singer found her own voice and has the ability to interpret the song independent of an absolute blueprint to mimic. Either way it might be helpful to provide an example of a popular artist or recording that represents a ballpark vibe you're going for. Maybe.

However, I'm still very unsure how to make the singer understand my vision of the vocals, or translate my idea to her.
Of course the singer will have her own personal touch to the vocals, but I want to make clear what my vision is so she understands how I more or less hear the characteristics of the vocals in my head.

Your 'vision' of a song is largely irrelevant when it comes to someone else singing it. As a songwriter, your job is to write the song. However, as a producer, or as a singing coach, you may feel the song should be sung in a particular way by someone in your charge.

And one thing I started to think of recently, is that professional songwriters who write songs for artists must be experts on this task.
So how do they do it?

They don't. They write and compose and produce a score or a demo recording. It is then up to the artist to interpret it as they see best.

Sure, but there is a difference between an artist and a singer. It is possible and at times is the case that a good artist/songwriter somewhat sucks at being a "good singer", and a good singer can suck at being an interpretive artist, lousy covers.

The good news for the op I reckon is, often the suck singers we're exposed to are artists who sing their own songs, while often the good singers sing other people's songs. If the good singer's interpretation doesn't come off as generic white bread, all is well. However, if it does come off as too vanilla, it'll potentially sink the song and the vision of the songwriter. I disagree that the writer's vision is largely irrelevant. If not for the writer and a vision the song would not exist.

It's sort of a circular conundrum, but it all boils down to the type of singer with whom you are attempting to work. Does the singer possess the ability(and dare I say inner passion) to provide an interpretation of interest outside of a rigid blueprint?

Back