Help! What instrument is this being played?

J

jokerone

I hear it during the entire song, but if you go to 1:23 in the video, you can hear it more plainly.
its a low pitch growl that sounds like someone trying to pull a nail out of an old board (terrible description but its all I have).

I assume its synth of some sort? I've heard it before in other songs, but this one is one that caught my ear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMlkxKJGeeo

thanks!

It maybe a guitar with a lot of effects on it. I'm watching him play on a live youtube video and it sounds similar.

thanks.

Sounds like a clavinet.

Yup, here's the credits:

9. Long Run Short Catch

Drums: David ‘Davee C’ Carpenter;
Bass: Clinton Fearon;
Rhythm and pluck guitar: Clinton Fearon;
Piano, organ and clavinet: Leif Dalan;
Saxophone solo: Izaak Mills;
Horn section: Izaak Mills and Nelson Bell;
Percussions: Ire Taylor and Clinton Fearon;
Harmony vocals: Ire Taylor and Clinton Fearon;
Lead vocal: Clinton Fearon.

That actually is a guitar in the Marley tune, not a clav...right?.. unless I can't hear it in my laptop speakers.

I think its a Clavi. there is a guy in a tan shirt and pants standing behind Peter Tosh playing a keyboards (some sort of synth, and a Clavi).

Tosh is playing the solo through some sort of wah - sounds like in choked back position. The clav MAY be playing along.

Tosh is playing the solo through some sort of wah - sounds like in choked back position. The clav MAY be playing along.

check the video again, I think they just spliced some video of playing together during the bridge. Tosh's playing doesn't sync with the sound. At least to me.

Yeah I don't know. I was going by the sound, and watching Peter;s fingers.

you think Toshs fingers don't match what is being played? me too. (at least during the bridge where the "clavi" candidate instrument is playing. )

Back