Do you think there is more for you to learn about songwriting ?

The road goes on forever.......

Hi, Long time viewer, decided to join in.
Welcome to the site !
I think what you have to understand is that when you speak of songwriters who are famous artists, that it wasn't their songs alone that got them where they are.
I think most of us are keenly aware of that.
I have a book on the evolution of progressive rock called "The music's all that matters". If only that were true. It rarely is.
Simply writing a great song is probably not even 25% of what is needed to be successful
My general stance on songwriting is that songwriting per se is overrated. A song in it's raw form is precisely that. It takes a number of things working together within an overall process to reach the point where something exists that people are prepared to shell out money on and buy. That basic song may not have much going for it. The way it's arranged, performed and mixed is what transforms it. Then let the marketing begin !
You are using success as the measuring stick of songwriting, and talent.
Not in the slightest particular.
In a public forum we will naturally reference people that a wide body of members and lurkers may have heard of. Which means "famous" or well known artists. There's little point in me telling you about the songs of my mate Esther or my mate Micky P. or those of my buddy Shetu.
But the question isn't aimed at well known writers. It's aimed at us on this site. There's a guy called Supercreep here who the world at large has never heard of or probably never will be aware of. He writes some of the greatest songs I've heard. Armistice writes some brilliant pieces. Rayc has knocked out some excellent work as has RAMI. There are a lot of people on this site that in my opinion write or have written some fantastic stuff, every bit as good in some instances as those "successful" artists that much of the world knows.
arguing that you can't learn anything.
Has anyone seriously argued that ? Some have said seminars and workshops won't teach you much. I disagree with that notion by the way. Seminars, workshops and writing circles may actually be just what a person needs at a particular juncture.
But there's a context.
My assertion is that if you write songs, you can reach a point where there's nothing left to learn.
Everyone that writes songs learns at some level how to do it, some very consciously and studiously, some more unconsciously and instinctively.
My assertion does not apply to every person at every point in their writing existence. The second part of my opening post hasn't really been picked up on yet, but that's because one has to be at the point where they don't feel there's anything more to learn regarding songwriting in order to relate when that point was reached.
And, let's not forget that most people are not Paul McCartney, we're not Merle Haggard, just because it came easy for them, it doesnt mean it will for you
That presupposes that Paul McCartney or Merle Haggard were somehow endowed with "talent" that may not be available to the common person. But it doesn't work like that. Songwriting didn't come easily to a lot of these people in the beginning. Paul McCartney was a trumpet player who dropped the trumpet only when he realized he couldn't sing and play at the same time and that girls wouldn't be likely to look lustily at a trumpet player. Most of the songs he wrote or contributed to before 1962 when the Beatles made their first record have not been heard by anyone other than those he worked the songs out with or whatever drunken teenagers or drunken revellers in Hamburg that they may have aired the songs to. He worked on writing songs.
I'm not at all saying that anyone can write songs. But those that have an interest can at the very least try to see where they go with it. Obviously some will find it harder than others but whether one finds it easier and is prolific or whether one writes rarely and finds it hard has little to do with the quality of the songs written.
I also think you guys are really simplifying what "learning" is about.
It's not about rhyming, and various structures, and writing more focused lyrics, it's about developing your ear.
It involves all that you've mentioned ~ and more.
When you first start writing, you think everything you write is great,
Funnilly enough, I never did. But I did like what I wrote. But I liked certain parts more than others ~ and I still am that way in many cases.
it's not until you can hear yourself that it's not great, can you improve.
I'm not so sure it's about the greatness of it. It's more a case, I think, of whether one likes what one has written. In a band situation, if one likes their song, they're more likely to push for it to be developed. In the home recording situation many of us find ourselves in where one person wears many hats, as the writer, the likability of the song is no different, but there's no one to prevent you from developing the song.
For me, the writing of the song is like the sex that brings about the conception of the child and the preparation over 9 months for the arrival of that child. Arrangement, performance and recording is like the labour and birth of the child, the mixing is like the upbringing.
it's learning how to make your song authentic. If your song reeks of BS, and you are trying to not reek of BS, you did something wrong, obviously.
But reeks of BS to whom ? The listener ? That's always going to be the listener's personal prerogative to pass judgement.
If on the other hand your song reeks of BS to you but you didn't want it to, then your problems aren't really to do with songwriting per se ~ although they might be.
Could you elaborate a little on what you mean by "an authentic song" ?
Making a believable song is something you can learn how to do with consistent work.
What do you actually mean by that ? If you've written what you regard as a believable song but I happen to think otherwise, is the song believable ?
Many writers of what many would regard as great songs over the last half century are totally disparaging of those same songs......

Just making up stuff, which I think is how most amateurs write, is hard to pull off
I make stuff up all the time ! :D I've even made up languages in my songs !!
learning how to put the lyric and melody and progression in the right frame is what will make it work.
The "right frame" is determined only by the actual writer of the song. If X has written their song outside of your box, you can't tell that writer to :RTFM: !
There are songs from all over this planet that simply do not conform to our {in the greater scheme of things} sometime limited Western standard.

But it's not just writing 2 songs this month, then 6 months later write another, it has to be constant, a constant need to one up your last
Personally, I've simply never thought in those terms. Improvement has always been retrospective. I've never sat around thinking "I must top that song !". I just write whatever I'm writing at that time. When I look back over a lengthy period, I can see certain improvements. But then, I've done a lot of learning down the years.
so how hard are you working to improve?
For me, this question, if anything, applies to my abilities to record and my mixing !

you need a nearly obsessive work ethic to get great
Both obsession and the quest to hit that vague target called "greatness" strike me as pretty much killing the joy, enjoyment and fun of a hobby.
Furthermore, if that is one's aim, how do you quantify that ? "Great" tends to be a subjective love term that the admirer applies.
In a 1968 interview with Mick Jagger, Jonathan Cott calls the lyrics of "Get off of my cloud" great {I agree}. Jagger replies "Oh no, they're crap."
if you want to improve keep working on it every day
You could do it that way. On the other hand, you don't have to be at it every day. A couple of times a month or a week and you may still improve.

Funny how someone can sign up to HR and then immediately zero in on this thread for their first contribution, isn't it....:confused::laughings:

What happened to the noobie questions about how to get your interface to work, and what phantom power is?

Barry - you need to get a life..:thumbs up:

Funny how someone can sign up to HR and then immediately zero in on this thread for their first contribution, isn't it....:confused::laughings:

What happened to the noobie questions about how to get your interface to work, and what phantom power is?

Barry - you need to get a life..:thumbs up:

It's a vicious cycle. The mods can't keep him banned, and he's such a mental midget he can't not show his ass every time he re-registers.

Sorry about that folks! First time I've ever attached photos here. Didn't realizes they'd be that big. How about deleting them Chili so they don't screw up the flow of the thread? Thanks!

Is it arrogant to suggest that there's nothing more for you to learn about songwriting ?
If so, will that moment ever come ?

Murt.

Seeing as this is my first visit to the page and don't yet know how these things work, I must apologise if I've posted this wrong.
I've been writing songs now for over 30 years. It never ceases to amaze me how much subject matter is out there to tap into.
From my point of view, song writing, as an art form, as a whole, is not about writing songs anymore. It's become a quest for big money.
I find it quite arrogant when people tell me they know it all, when in fact they know b-gg-r all.
There are good songs out there that never see the light of day because these writers come from uneducated backgrounds and don't
know anyone involved in the business, or how to manipulate these things in the first place. Is it a case of who you know and not what
you know or can do. Sadly, this is the world we live in, and we don't all believe in the x factor for the manipulated few.
I never stop learning and try to work with an open mind. I believe strongly in constructive criticism. These days too many people call
other peoples work crap for no other reason than thinking it will better their own.
Another sad fact, that still goes on today, is pigeon holing. This, for any writer, only closes doors and shortens subject matter.

So, to answer your question, from my point of view, yes it is arrogant. There's always something new to learn and write about. If there's
anyone out there who do think they know it all, they should put their money where their mouth is, and like us, give it away and let the
material stand or fall by it's own merit.

Long live song writers, especially those who never make a penny from their works and try to do it as an art form. We, as writers, only
become rich after death. Make sure you pass your rights on to your loved ones. They are the ones who should benefit from your writings.

We only do it for the love of it.

Sorry about that folks! First time I've ever attached photos here. Didn't realizes they'd be that big. How about deleting them Chili so they don't screw up the flow of the thread? Thanks!
Oh no, no, we don't need to delete them. If you find the time to resize them, you can edit your own post for another few days and re attach smaller versions of the same pics. Other than that, just leave them there. :)

Cool,

It never ceases to amaze me how much subject matter is out there to tap into.
Well, there should be. It's an expansive world and for those who believe it, created, sustained and progressed by an extensive God, with a rather multi~faceted history currently going through a myriad of political, social and technological changes at a rate of knots that make last month's innovations seem almost obsolete by next month.
I find it quite arrogant when people tell me they know it all, when in fact they know b-gg-r all.
Well, in your opinion they know bugger all. Does anyone ever really tell you they know it all ? Seriously know it all ?

I never stop learning and try to work with an open mind. I believe strongly in constructive criticism.
I strongly believe in constructive criticism. In fact, 'criticsm' in my mind is by it's very nature constructive. It's very different from what we usually mean when we use the word 'criticism', which equates to "beating with a stick" {metaphorically}.
I also believe strongly in the freedom to reject criticism, no matter how well meaning, no matter the experience and knowledge of the one offering criticism, if you happen to disagree with it. I've found far more often than not in my lifetime, that rejecting someone's suggestions or 'criticisms' is taken as arrogance, defensiveness, blindness, insecurity, dictatorial behaviour, muleheadedness and more besides.
But the truth is that you just may disagree with someone else's observations. No need to invade their island and blow them up because of it.

Another sad fact, that still goes on today, is pigeon holing. This, for any writer, only closes doors and shortens subject matter.
Interesting that you say 'still' goes on today. It's human nature to pigeon hole. I suspect that every single one of us on this planet does it, has always done it and while we're still around living life as we know it, will continue to; yes, some more than others, some unconsciously, some knowingly, some ignorantly.
On a musical level, how can you not pigeon hole AC/DC ? They are in a totally different category to Roberta Flack.

So, to answer your question, from my point of view, yes it is arrogant. There's always something new to learn and write about.
There are always different things to write about or new angles on old, familiar subjects. Human experiences on the whole are really not that varied which is why so many people in different parts of the world through different points in history have written about the same sort of things.
But having new things to write about does not necessarily teach you anything new about writing songs.

If there's anyone out there who do think they know it all, they should put their money where their mouth is, and like us, give it away and let the
material stand or fall by it's own merit.
I haven't got a clue what that means or where and how it connects.
I've already stated that saying that you have nothing new to learn regarding songwriting is really not the same as saying "I know it all."
But even supposing it was, what does "giving it away" {the knowledge they have or the material they write ?} do ? Material standing or falling by it's own merit has zilch to do with whether the author feels there's nothing new to learn. In a way, every song put out for someone to listen to is a gamble in terms of how they respond. That's got nothing to do with whether or not the writer thought there was nothing new they could learn about songwriting.

It's a bit of a cliche, the idea that learning never stops. I suspect that we say it to safeguard arrogance and I go along with that. Plus of course, in many many things we do, learning does not stop, though it may slow down.
But someone who has been making pizzas for 60 years and has gone through the myriad changes connected with that endeavour will reach a point where there is nothing left to learn. Putting orange peel on the base isn't the same as learning something new about making pizza.

I just have one question for Murt.....

If it took you two and a half years to write your first post since you joined HR.....
....how long does it take you to write a song?

Well, I think we can all agree that as songwriters, freedom of speech is very important. Which why it makes little sense to ban people for their opinions, is only one opinion allowed? If it is, that is rediculous, nobody was attacking anybody, simply giving opinions, however, when it differs from Greg, and Miroslav and Grim traveler, that person gets banned.

I mean I can take this thread on to facebook, youtube or anywhere my music and other great songwriters exist, and they can discuss it there, and say HR forum has the people making these comments. There is clearly many songwriters, good ones, not just ones flapping gums who disagree with this, I had several check this site out already, they think your responses are laughable.

Grimtraveler, why do you feel the need to dissect everybody's opinion here? Do you really thinkg you know something? Do you have links to your music? or do you just like to hear yourself speak? Do you realize people dedicate their lives to the art and craft of songwriting? And they apply themselves every day of their lives? Do you think it's all you? And he'll have a thousand rebuts which say nothing, but make himself seem smart, appear....

Anyway, I came across from Taxi site, I cant post the links, that is a privilege reserved for a 10 time poster. But the article is under TAXI, Songwriting: The Beatle Way, read it if you have a chance. Perhaps you will learn something. Here were some points

*There are many reasons for the Beatles influence and longevity — but one of the main reasons is the GREAT songs.

*The first lesson is LEARNING from previous generations of songwriters. The Beatles cited their love and STUDY of American pop, especially R&B, as a primary influence in their songwriting development.

*They consistently named Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Elvis, and Buddy Holly as artists and songwriters they admired and STUDIED. But in addition, Paul McCartney consistently cites the American jazz and pop records his father listened to while Paul was growing up as major influences in his writing.

*They wrote CONSISTENTLY. From the very beginning of the group, John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote their own songs and performed them with the covers songs they were doing. They took what they were learning and applied it practically to their own CRAFT.

*They were also OPEN TO CRITICISM — but a specific type. When George Martin talked to them about their songs, especially early their careers, they listened. But mainly they worked with each other.

***Paul McCartney has said they thought of songwriting as their long-range career fallback in the business. Pop music stardom is a fickle commodity, and even very early in their careers they spoke about being songwriters after the rush of success had faded. They worked on writing music for films and songs for other artists with long-term songwriting success as a goal.

Bruce man, losing Clarence was tough on all of us... and I know the pressure must be immense, not having had a hit in so long.

But please, have some self-respect... this is not the Boss you want everyone to remember.

....simply giving opinions, however, when it differs from Greg, and Miroslav and Grim traveler, that person gets banned.

:laughings:

If it was only THAT simple!
There's a bunch of folks I've disagreed with (including Greg and even Grim)....and they didn't get banned for it and I didn't get banned for it....
...sol that shoots your theory to hell.

You get banned for other reasons....one of them being that when a Mod bans you for your misconduct, and you keep coming back under new aliases....it only pisses them off even more, so you will get banned again, and it will last even longer.
If you keep it up, they will permanently ban you.

The rest of us....we love having a "training dummy" to knock around a bit, so welcome back, Barry....for however short your stay is this time! :D

I can take this thread on to facebook, youtube or anywhere my music and other great songwriters exist....

:facepalm:

Well then....GO....why do you keep coming back here were the rest of us mere mortals exist...???

A legend in his own mind.......

Sorry, EploZiveToyz, you are completely wrong. Your understanding of how talent is developed is only overshadowed by your lack of teaching ability.

Talent is developed through correct repetitive action. No one starts out being a great songwriter. Everyone you mentioned (Lennon, McCartney, Harrison... etc...) had years of training. Some had great teachers, others learned by reproducing other great songwriters works until they mastered them. You need to learn about the 10,000 hour rule as taught by Malcolm Gladwell in his book "Outliers" or "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle.

Do not limit peoples potential by creating an imaginary barrier. Just state the facts that it takes years of solid practice and if someone is dedicated enough they can write amazing songs. (now, there is also the aspect of becoming discovered - there are many amazing musicians out there, but just didn't have the "luck" of right timing to breakout.)

Back