Can lyrics influence behaviour ?

Perhaps at times we use the word "influence" synonymously with the word "make". In my mind, they are two very different concepts. To me, it goes without saying that most behaviour is a choice. But the fact that we choose to do things doesn't mean we haven't been influenced. Being influenced doesn't mean being forced or made to act in a particular way.
For years, many have commentated on peer pressure, particularly on teenagers and pre~teens. When kids do things because their friends do them, rarely are they forced to do so. They are responsible in the final analysis. But they often are sure as heck influenced too. It's not at all easy to pinpoint in black and white simple steps.
I think that song lyric influence can range from subtle to blatant to not at all.

If it's not urban myth, there was a story about some kid on acid jumping off the balcony during Pink Floyd's Learning to Fly.
Not that the lyrics (about actually learning to fly, but metaphorically about taking over the lead of Pink Floyd from Waters) had as much influence as the acid...

On a lighter note...

'I am stuck on the band-aid, cuz band-aid stuck on me'. What would you call a sterile device that helps to cover a wound? An adhesive bandage? I doubt it...

I am influenced without even caring. Though, boo boo's need band-aid's. Kids love the ones that have printing of their favorite cartoon character. The reason why? The lyrics from the tunes in their favorite kid shows that made them love the characters. We are influenced by lyrics on a daily basis.

Coincidence?

Aw shiz, I may have just committed copyright infringement by not giving credit to the writer of the previously posted quote of a jingle. Wonder who wrote that? :confused:

Some items become known by their brands because of their jingles. Jimmy brings an excellent point. As long as we don't have the "Are jingles songs?" debate.
Koolade, Gatorade, Levi's, etc.
defined how we speak. In some parts of this country (US) people called any fizzy carbonated drink, regardless of brand or flavor a "Coke".

Aw shiz, I may have just committed copyright infringement by not giving credit to the writer of the previously posted quote of a jingle. Wonder who wrote that? :confused:
(1) You have not committed copyright infringement -- this is certainly fair use commentary, and (2) attribution doesn't relieve you of copyright infringement liability; all it does it indicate that you intentionally infringed.

(1) You have not committed copyright infringement -- this is certainly fair use commentary, and (2) attribution doesn't relieve you of copyright infringement liability; all it does it indicate that you intentionally infringed.

:D

I had hoped you would see that post.

Must spread reputation before.....

Late to the thread, but figured I would throw in.

I do think lyrics influences. I don't know about behavior, but if it makes you think about something, even if you take an opposite view of the writer's intent, you are thinking about it, and that is an influence. I would go further and say music in general influences, that is why it is used in movies so much. Cue sad music, people become sad, cue happy music, people have a tendency to be happy.

Didn't read all of the thread, but the reference to commercials is a good point.

I think it depends on how the person is influenced by music in the first place. Someone can listen to a song and be influenced by the feeling it gives while they're listening to it, but then when the song isn't playing anymore the feeling goes away, so short-term I don't think it affects behavior.

Listening to certain lyrics over and over again over the long-term may change things. For example, if you're listening to only dark, violent lyrics all the time then that may eventually leak into your personality and affect your subconscious thoughts. With the subconscious being influenced, the behavior will be too. But then again, it all depends how that individuals mind perceives the lyrics to begin with.

I think it depends on how the person is influenced by music in the first place. Someone can listen to a song and be influenced by the feeling it gives while they're listening to it, but then when the song isn't playing anymore the feeling goes away, so short-term I don't think it affects behavior.

Listening to certain lyrics over and over again over the long-term may change things. For example, if you're listening to only dark, violent lyrics all the time then that may eventually leak into your personality and affect your subconscious thoughts. With the subconscious being influenced, the behavior will be too. But then again, it all depends how that individuals mind perceives the lyrics to begin with.

That was really deep man.

:D

Back