Broadness of Genre

That's ironic considering Rick Derringer did a pretty similar version of "You Really Got Me" to VH's before Van Halen did. Looks like it was some kind of 3 way race to put it out.

Derringer's version is from 1977, a year before VH's version:

Song starts at about 6:57. Funny thing is, if you go back to almost exactly 5 minutes in, you'll hear him doing something that Eddie made a career out of.

Grooveshark - Free Music Streaming, Online Music

EVH got everything he has from Derringer.

Really? I mean, I'm not surprised after what I posted, etc....But is this sort of a "well known secret" type of thing?
I think EVH did what we all do as players. We take what came before us, refine it, add a little(if we're really good), then pass it on to the next generation. I don't think it was a secrect.

I think EVH did what we all do as players. We take what came before us, refine it, add a little(if we're really good), then pass it on to the next generation. I don't think it was a secrect.

No, I understand that. But I got the impression from Bongo's post that he meant EVH specifically studied/copied Rick Derringer. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, but I've only heard Eddie only ever talking about listening to lots of Clapton.

Funny thing is, before I'd heard of EVH and the other guitar monsters of the day, I actually invented tapping all on my own. Had this melodic note in a "not really a guitar tune" tune (a cover) that I was trying to play, and the only way I could was to tap it with my right hand. Seeing I had the world's worst and most underpowered amp it didn't really work out all that well, so I discarded the idea as not being of any value and never tried it again.

:facepalm: over and over again :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Funny thing is, before I'd heard of EVH and the other guitar monsters of the day, I actually invented tapping all on my own. Had this melodic note in a "not really a guitar tune" tune (a cover) that I was trying to play, and the only way I could was to tap it with my right hand. Seeing I had the world's worst and most underpowered amp it didn't really work out all that well, so I discarded the idea as not being of any value and never tried it again.

:facepalm: over and over again :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Aw man.....You're....like.....the Decca Records of the guitar riff. :eek:

No, I understand that. But I got the impression from Bongo's post that he meant EVH specifically studied/copied Rick Derringer. I wouldn't be surprised if it's true, but I've only heard Eddie only ever talking about listening to lots of Clapton.

That was not my intent at all. My point was the Derringer did what Van Halen did much earlier.

You could be right. I've only heard EVH talk about Clapton, Page, etc. And after hearing that stuff you posted, it certainly makes me wonder. Some of that stuff was almost note for note!

OOOOH, & it makes XploZiveToyz wonder. there's a feeling he gets...
I so old I thought VH were a pop band with a couple of gimmicky guitar tricks and a massive keyboard hit.

Back