Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Writing Lyrics

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I've had one song's lyrics come to me in a dream. The whole song, actually. As soon as I awoke I rushed to write them down and only made it to
    the first chorus before it all fizzled away. I thought about finishing it but it came to a quick dead end and I tossed it. Now if I'd have been awake
    when this came to me, I'm sure I would have finished it - because I'm sure there would have been a more substantial form of inspiration pushing
    it, and I would have had more control over the creative process.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence

Thanks
    I once had the "song in a dream" thing backfire. I was in a local gigging band at the time and I dreamed I had composed a new song for that band and was running through it with them. When I woke up I was able to recall most of it, lyrics and melody. I was pretty excited about it until I played out the melody on my keyboard and realized it was an exact copy of one particular part of Bohemian Rhapsody!

Although the lyrics were completely original (to the best of my knowledge) and had absolutely nothing to do with the Queen anthem, I was so let down I trashed the whole thing. You can't always trust the subconscious!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KWN View Post
    I once had the "song in a dream" thing backfire. I was in a local gigging band at the time and I dreamed I had composed a new song for that band and was running through it with them. When I woke up I was able to recall most of it, lyrics and melody. I was pretty excited about it until I played out the melody on my keyboard and realized it was an exact copy of one particular part of Bohemian Rhapsody!

Although the lyrics were completely original (to the best of my knowledge) and had absolutely nothing to do with the Queen anthem, I was so let down I trashed the whole thing. You can't always trust the subconscious!
    "Mediocre artists borrow, great artists steal"
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    "Mediocre artists borrow, great artists steal"
    I have not the conscience to do either.

Thanks
    There is nothing new under the sun.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TAE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Only option left is begging.

Thanks
    Weird... I've also had songs appear in dreams. The second I wake up I think it's some amazing tune with the greatest melody, but I either forget it by the time I get the phone recorder or it just wasn't as great as I thought it was in the dream.

But that's really weird, its an entire song completely organized with drums and vocal melody and everything.

Thanks
    I think that I have posted once before about my remarkable hypnagogic experience. It didn't result in result in lyrics, but in a classical composition way beyond anything I could compose.

It was back in my uni student days, and the sound was so "present", that I awoke twice to check where it was coming from. But each time I awoke and listened, there was silence.

(Actually, I may have awoken three times).

I was really tired, and, as I flung myself on my student bed and crashed out, I started to hear the most exquisite classical music, which I guess was a "piano concerto" (piano, violins, violas and other strings were present). It immediately woke me up, weary as I was, and I gazed about the room, convinced that I had left some music playing, even though I hardly ever listened to classical music. Total silence! I struggled to keep awake to check if it was a neighbour. Silence. But then, within seconds of my head touching my bed again (I was flung down in the middle) the music was back, loud and clear. That is when it really dawned on me that I was "dreaming" it. This time I awoke, lifted my head again, and counted a few minutes in my drowsy stupor. There was complete silence again. And I figured that the second I started to drift off to sleep again. the music would return. Sure enough, it did. I knew I didn't stand a chance of remembering any of it, or have any means of writing it down, so I just let it play me to sleep. That was totally surreal!

Thanks
    Hypnopompic music has been a lot more commonplace for me. I wouldn't call the words "lyrics" though. Usually, it is just a couple of phrases related to the dream. The most memorable was a couple of chords, accompanied by the words. "remember!..........REMEMBER!!" right as the dream closed. I think I was fully conscience as the last couple of notes were still playing.

Thread Information