Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Writing Lyrics

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thread moved to Song-writing forum

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Does anyone ever write their lyrics as a poem - then write the music?

Slightly related.. I performed the Eagles' Desperado a cappella after first introducing it as "A poem by Don Henley".
    Failure - - the path of least persistence

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post

Slightly related.. I performed the Eagles' Desperado a cappella after first introducing it as "A poem by Don Henley".
    I have not, ever. When I write, I'm aiming to pick words and phrases that come naturally from the chord pattern/tempo I'm playing at that moment. Then build around that vocal melody that's developing.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    I have. A lot when I was younger, not as much now. I keep a notepad and guitar handy so if something comes to mind when I'm watching the TV I can work stuff out. I also walk a couple miles on my lunch break everyday listening on earbuds and the rhythm of walking and just thinking random stuff, along with what is playing often gives me ideas for new musical and lyrical phrases. I carry a notebook to jot stuff down. I also get inspiration when I am riding a motorcycle, though I have to try to memorize ideas that come along, cant exactly write notes while riding. I am not really skilled at the writing to chords and tempo, I tend to find I have to record something first and then work lyrics to fit if I can.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks

Yes, more or less. The differences to most poetry, is I make sure the lines' lyrical rhythm is consistent, including line lengths and accents and the structure will lend itself to music - most poems don't use choruses or bridges, for example.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks

Over the years I have done it both ways ...just depends on how the muse hits ya..

Lyrics fall within the world of poetry and musical ideas, melodies are in the realm of music when joined together they become a song.

If I am inspired by something that makes me want to put it into words the words usually come first...but then there is that weird thing with melody / lyric lines that just pop into your head and then the words come afterwards..or at the same time..

all roads lead to Rome but there are a lot of roads to get there from..

Singing Desperado acapella that's pretty unique...sure like them words.
    Last edited by TAE; 3 Days Ago at 08:23.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    ... all roads lead to Rome but there are a lot of roads to get there from..
    Hey! That rhymes..

Singing Desperado acapella that's pretty unique...sure like them words.
    I was in the process of learning the song so I could eventually perform it on acoustic guitar. I had the vocals down pretty good, but was still a bit rough on a couple chords. I was at an open mic and they needed a fill-in and I was "volunteered" - so that's what they got.. they liked it. I returned a couple weeks later and performed it acoustically - that was fun.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence

Thanks
    all roads lead to Rome but there are a lot of roads to get there from..

I have to agree here 100%.

The way I go about it varies depending on the style of song I'm writing, and where I'm at (physically and mentally) when the inspiration for the song hits me. Most of the time a melody will pop into my head and I will begin to think of words and phrases that reflect the atmosphere of the music. Other times I will have a specific story to tell and I'll develop a melody around lyrics I've already started on.

Once I even thought up a tune in my sleep and after I awoke, I wrote down lyrics about....hearing a song in my sleep!

There are so many different ways to compose lyrics, and I believe that's part of what gives each song its character.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KWN View Post
    Once I even thought up a tune in my sleep and after I awoke, I wrote down lyrics about....hearing a song in my sleep!
    I have had several dream songs...the coolest for me was I was in a classroom setting with Natalie Merchant..now I like some of her stuff but it's not like I'm a huge fan..definitely never bought any of her music...but there she was in this dream and each one of us had to see what we could do with this line "Your love drives me crazy" and each of us would go up to the front of the room and give it a shot.... It was a cool melody line we were all working it pretty cool..anyway woke up and went out and made a song out of it...and made a million dollars off of it! ...OK so maybe no one but me has ever heard it but it is a pretty fun little diddly..

Lyrics

Through out my life...
    I've known love
    How deep? As deep as the sea
    How high? as high as the sky above
    In all my life I've never known a love like yours
    Never had a love do to me what yours does...
    You love drives me crazy
    Your love makes me Koo Koo
    Your love
    Your love
    Your love drives me crazy...crazy

repeat this your love line several times doing the style from the dream.... song is done

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TAE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have had songs/lyrics come to me while sleeping many times, sometimes I have remembered them and worked them out but most time I just have the memory of having come up with something I can no longer remember! One was a couple of verses and a chorus sung by judy Collins and I can only remember ever hearing her sing one song so that was different.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thread Information