What time signature is this one??

Trovador98

Hi all,
There was an interesting discussion on time signatures in another thread so I thought I'd throw this one out there. This was difficult for my buddy on drums so it's pretty sloppy and maybe over-zealous. All in good fun! Thoughts?

btw- that's an original 81 Les Paul Custom in Silverburst...only lefty I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/_vD8gJSF9eI

You guys are going to hate me, but I think it's actually 7/4. We agree on the 7. Now the question is, how are we counting it. Are his hi-hats 8th notes or 16th notes?

Where's Gekko? 7 seems to be his forte. :D

Actually, someone get in touch with Geddy Lee. I think that clip contains every single Rush song ever. :eek:

You guys are going to hate me, but I think it's actually 7/4. We agree on the 7. Now the question is, how are we counting it. Are his hi-hats 8th notes or 16th notes?

(If it is 7/8, then that pattern takes up 2 measures, which is why I think it's 7/4)

So we're both counting the snare on 3+7, but you're calling them quarter notes and I'm calling them eighths?

In his verse riff, would you could 1 at each lowest guitar note, or on every other?

So we're both counting the snare on 3+7, but you're calling them quarter notes and I'm calling them eighths?
I think so. I'm having trouble articulating it in my own head. But, yes...which makes those hi-hats 8th notes to me. I'm pretty sure.

(I edited my post to take out the sentence about how we're counting the hats and the "2 measures" thing because I think it might be confusing the issue.)

In his verse riff, would you could 1 at each lowest guitar note, or on every other?
I think every second one is on a 1. So, the other one is on "4 and". If it helps, every time there are 2 bass drums in a row, the first one is on 1 and the second time there are 2 bass drums, the first one is on the "4 and".

I hope you see my edits. I'm sort of correcting myself as I go along. I think it's too early in the morning for me to be coherent. It makes sense in my head, but I'm making mistakes trying to explain it.

Nah, it's cool man. I'm the same boat.

I think I'd settled a long time ago on the idea that quarter/eight/sixteenth notes can't be worked out for certain because of all the unknown variables, but these threads have made me question that.

I've taken it that the snare is on the 3rd and 7th 8th note, which is why my gut said 7/8 but listening.
You could count twice as fast and have the snare on 5 each time. I think that makes it 7/16?

Listening back...those aren't the same thing so the former is wrong. (snare on 7 isn't actually on 7 :eek:)

It'd help it the count in related to the music somehow. :p
I guess he's attempting to count quarter notes and four of them...?

It does come down to how we count it for sure. For me, those hi-hats are 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 & 7 &...repeat. So, in my way of counting/hearing it, the hi-hats are 8th notes.

But, like I said, we all agree that it's 7/something.

Last edited:
As a fellow south-paw, I have to say that is beautiful.

Lefties Unite!

Cheers RAMI. What guitars do you have in your lefty arsenal? I have a ridiculous number...maybe 14-15 guitars. I'm tripping all over them in my small house.

lol about the Rush comment. I love Rush, King Crimson, Tool and a variety of other bands that play with odd meter. I'm not great at describing it but I think I can manage riffing in the environment.

That said...it my own head this particular song makes sense to me as 3.5 / 4 time
Is that even possible?
I count
ONE TWO THREE half ONE TWO THREE half ONE TWO THREE half

Maybe that's just 7/8?

Lefties Unite!

Cheers RAMI. What guitars do you have in your lefty arsenal? I have a ridiculous number...maybe 14-15 guitars. I'm tripping all over them in my small house.
Wow! Well, I only 4....3 guitars and a bass. The bass is the only true lefty. Ibanez bass. The 3 guitars are an EPI SG, Gibson SG and a Strat. All righties with the strings and nut changed to make them lefties.

Left on, brother. :D

lol about the Rush comment. I love Rush, King Crimson, Tool and a variety of other bands that play with odd meter. I'm not great at describing it but I think I can manage riffing in the environment.
That's the main thing. Most of my music goes on in my head and makes perfect sense, but I have trouble verbalizing it. As long as you can play it, the rest is just verbal masturbation. :)

ONE TWO THREE half ONE TWO THREE half ONE TWO THREE half
Doesn't that come out to 10 and a half? :eek:
Anyway, yes. 3.5/4 (which doesn't really exist) is 7/8. :cool:

Back