What time signature is this one??

Um, no I would say differently there. He has 'Lars' syndrome...

But I'm a bass player so what do I know?

haha...
He's a good friend of mine so I'm not going to talk too much crap on him. I will say that he's the worst good drummer I know...or the best bad drummer. Meaning...he can do a lot of interesting technical stuff and can actually read and play drum music. His problem that he gets bored playing something simple and often tries some kind of drum acrobatics that throw everything off. That said...we're both just having fun making noise.

You guys are going to hate me, but I think it's actually 7/4. We agree on the 7. Now the question is, how are we counting it. Are his hi-hats 8th notes or 16th notes?

Where's Gekko? 7 seems to be his forte. :D

Actually, someone get in touch with Geddy Lee. I think that clip contains every single Rush song ever. :eek:

If the count off is a clue, then it would be 7/8 ... unless you're saying that the riff starts on the down beat and then repeats starting on the upbeat. That's what would have to happen for it to be 7/4.

In other words, do you think he's changing chords just once every measure, or is he changing every two measures?

If you think it's just once every measure, you're hearing 7/4. If you think he's changing every two measures, you're hearing 7/8.

I actually hear him changing chords once every 2 measures. I'm talking chords, not the rythmic guitar patter itself.

I hear him staying on the same chord for 2 bars.

The guitar pattern itself happens twice every measure. So, I'm hearing 2 guitar patterns as one bar. Like, (just to be clear) he hits the lowest note in the pattern twice in every bar the way I hear it. Once on the 1 and once on the "4&". So, the way I hear it, the hi-hats are playing 1 & 2 & 3 &, etc......right to "7&".

OK, I was bored.

Here's me counting over this tune to what I think is 7/4.

Attachments

• 74.mp3
    224.5 KB · Views: 11
...and I managed to do it in 5/4, too.....

Attachments

• 54.mp3
    278.4 KB · Views: 5
LMAO. I was gonna close the thread after your first audio clip.
I'm definitely closing it now!!!! :p

Seriously though...First clip nailed it. Good call RAMI.

I just realized how catchy that riff is. I can't get it out of my head. It reminds me of some Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff. Very haunting. I'd actually like to hear the rest of the tune now.

I'm never sure whether its quarter, eights or whatever, and if I'm doing something in a signature like that I just say it's in sevens.

However, my leaning is towards 7/4 rather than 7/8 because it sounds (to me) like the equivalent of a 4/4 bar plus a 3/4 bar, and when I tap my foot, I can do so without getting into an offbeat.

I just realized how catchy that riff is. I can't get it out of my head. It reminds me of some Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff. Very haunting. I'd actually like to hear the rest of the tune now.

The riff is catchy...but IMHO, the odd meter doesn't really add anything of value to it.
IOW...you could do it in 4/4 and it would probably sound better...as I find that odd meter doesn't flow, rather it stumbles with this riff.

YMMV... :)

Hehe...Tough crowd. I compliment the drummer, nobody likes him. I compliment the riff, no good.

I'll just stick to being my old salty self. :D

Back