What Time Signature is This?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure House of the rising sun is 6/8, fellas.
I agree. I first said 12/8, then realized it's 6/8 and corrected myself later on. I'm just used to counting to 4, rather than 2. So, I'll often say 12/8 when it's really 6/8. Not really a difference, but technically not the same.

Last edited:
I agree. I first said 12/8, then realized it's 6/8 and corrected myself later on. I'm just used to counting to 4, rather than 2. So, I'll often say 12/8 when it's really 6/8. Not really a difference, but technically not the same.

Ah sorry man. I kinda skimmed through.

You make a good point.
If the Animals have this in manuscript somewhere as 12/8, (two chords fill each bar) we'd have no way of knowing or proving otherwise.
The song is most likely 6/8, but someone someone could choose to score at as any multiple of 6-12-18-32 8 and not necessarily be wrong, without a manuscript to the contrary.
it just simply means the bars are twice/four times/eight times as long.

You make a good point.
If the Animals have this in manuscript somewhere as 12/8, (two chords fill each bar) we'd have no way of knowing or proving otherwise.
The song is most likely 6/8, but someone someone could choose to score at as any multiple of 6-12-18-32 8 and not necessarily be wrong, without a manuscript to the contrary.
it just simply means the bars are twice/four times/eight times as long.
Exactly. I think the reason it's technically 6/8 and not 12/8 is because the riff/phrase is 2 beats long, not 4. In other words, the riff/phrase has 6 notes in it before it changes chords and does the same thing. It would have to be a twice as long phrase for it to be 12/8. But like you say, they both work.

Exactly. I think the reason it's technically 6/8 and not 12/8 is because the riff/phrase is 2 beats long, not 4. In other words, the riff/phrase has 6 notes in it before it changes chords and does the same thing. It would have to be a twice as long phrase for it to be 12/8. But like you say, they both work.

That's it man. I just 'like' 6 notes being a bar when I hear that song. It just feels right to me.

I just did a google image search on House of the Rising Sun sheet music.

From there it is clear that opinion is divided. I saw many of each of 4/4, 12/8, 3/4 & 6/8.

Strangely, I didn't see any 7/8

From there it is clear that opinion is divided. I saw many of each of 4/4, 12/8, 3/4 & 6/8.

No 7/8? That's wacky. :eek: :D

I can see how someone would think it's any of those (4/4, 12/8, 3/4 and 6/8), because mathematically, they all fit. But there's more to it than the math. For example even though 3/4 "fits", it's not at all counted the same way. 3/4 is counted "1 and 2 and 3 and", which makes 6. So, it "fits" in a math sense, but it doesn't fit in a musical sense because the pulse is different.

---------- Update ----------

So to sum up, none of this fucking shit matters, as usual.

Yes and no. It only matters if it matters.

50 years later House of the Rising Sun still confounds...

---------- Update ----------

It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

LOL - I did the same thing... all the 4/4 versions are completely written in triplets. 6/8 for mine.

LOL - I did the same thing... all the 4/4 versions are completely written in triplets. 6/8 for mine.
Yup. The only way for "House" to be in 4/4 is if it turns into a triplet fest.

The OP's song is in 4/4.

"House of the Rising Sun" is in 6/8. We'll accept 12/8 with a gun to our heads.

End of story.

To the next episode..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back