Trying to improve this alt rock song to the point of showing off -with my own talents

MANnequin X

Lemme know how this sounds regardless of mixing-- but offer adivce if you can on the mixing if you feel you can. I'm mostly concerned about the vocals, and I'm trying to finally put my 13 years of learning to sing to practical use . Plus, I wrote it all except for the drums. Actually, I would appreciate some mixing tips. But first, listen for the art. And rock!

Attachments

• SIVmp3.mp3
    1,008.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
This is awesome composition! It really rocks! I would like to have a slightly different chorus, with erupting music and vocals, but all in all, its been for some time I haven't heard such good energetic rock.
Now about singing: I don't know if its the mix, the compressing or something else, vocals don't sound right somehow. Maybe you can get someone a pro singer sing it, I am sure it will be great.
And the song is fabulous!

I know it can be intimidating to put your vocals up front when you feel you are not the strongest singer but.....you just got to do it! Vocals are too buried here. From what I can hear though you have a good tone that matches the material well. Put it out front! Open yer gob and let it rip!

great hook, but the vocals are not making it for me. Too many effects and phasing or chorus or whatever. Like the others said: Make the vocals higher. Doubling vocals make my thin voice sound fuller. You may have done that, but the vocals are so low in the mix that it's hard to tell.

Really cool song and I really like the guitars and energy. I like when the vocal is a little buried in rock songs but it was way too low in the mix here. Bring it up!

Haven't read all the replies, but I generally concur that the vocals are too low in the overall mix and they sound slightly 'external' to the rest of the instrumentation - as though the band are playing next door and the vocalist is singing in the room we are in. A good word might be disconnected, but it's difficult to find the most appropriate term sometimes. Can't knock the tune though:thumbs up:

No offense, but you're far away from "showing off".
Regarding the mix, the vocals oscillate between low and loud. Put a compressor or automation on there. Record the instruments closer to the mic because there's a lot of weird comb filtering. It's a bad recording, tbh, and not even charming in the lo-fi cassette way due to all the swishing and combing.

Hey,
I agree with what's been said.
If your primary interest is the vocal and showing off skill or talent, then your primary concern at the minute needs to be recording technique and mixing skill, because the vocal is swinging wildly from overpowering to hidden, and sounds massively over processed.

Could you strip the vocal of anything unnecessary and post it here so we can hear if the raw recording is workable?

Sounds like you have a good basis and some simple tips could help you a lot. :)

Great song. In my opinion, you are a great singer, so bring out the vocals! Little less reverb on the vocals, too. The intro guitar really needs to be played with more confidence, it sounds weak. Also, this is more a me thing, but I would add more distortion to the guitars. I would add a limiter and compressor to the vocals, and please get some new samples! MT-PowerDrumKit is a pretty good free sampler. Great track!

Back